Twisted blues in 5/4

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Twisted blues in 5/4

Postby meritonemusic » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:37 pm

Hi guys,

Thought I'd share this fun backing track for jamming a standard 12-bar blues progression... with a twist! It's in 5/4 :)

G major

Enjoy :D
meritonemusic
Regular

Re: Twisted blues in 5/4

Postby Jakeblues » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:57 pm

Interesting concept. The groove is a little tough to match phrases to, but fun to fool around with. I remember a local jazz group (back in the '70's), Beard Hersey and the year of the ear had a "Disco" tune in 7/8. It was fun to watch people try to dance to it.
Jakeblues
Regular

Re: Twisted blues in 5/4

Postby meritonemusic » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:44 am

Jakeblues wrote:Interesting concept. The groove is a little tough to match phrases to, but fun to fool around with. I remember a local jazz group (back in the '70's), Beard Hersey and the year of the ear had a "Disco" tune in 7/8. It was fun to watch people try to dance to it.

haha, yes watching people trying to dance in 7/8 or 5/4 - or any odd time signature for that matter - is usually a treat!!

Playing in odd time time sigs is difficult, but ultimately I find it rewarding as it can open up your playing in ways that wouldn't happen in standard time :D
meritonemusic
Regular

Return to Guitar