Book of BRB

Ideas, likes, dislikes, recommendations, and opinions regarding the Big Road Blues web site and forums.

RE: Book of BRB

Postby stumblin » Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:00 pm

Sorry mate.
I actually think it's a reasonable idea, although it's difficult for me to imagine who would be interested in such a book apart from ourselves. It could be an entertaining read really.
Mind you, it might be a great idea to back up some of the really useful hints and advice accumulated here over the years, just in case the forum goes t*ts-up again.
stumblin
Regular

Postby bruneau » Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:18 pm

Hi Stumblin

I think if we can make a book with some of the useful things related to the blues you guys posted from the beginning of this forum, I can't see why it can't be a hit!
bruneau
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stumblin » Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:21 pm

You know, the more I think about it, the more you've got me convinced :)
stumblin
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:07 pm

Now, when I was in Art School, required reading was a series of little "Handy Hint" books - kind of "Hints from Heloise" about ink and pens, cleanup tips, you get the idea.

It'd need good graphics - both clever cartoons or illustrations, and technical diagrams of, for example, the famous "Mushroom Mod" - which would be one of trhe most interesting chapters.

Hmm, this IS starting to sound like a better idea.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bruneau » Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:16 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Mar-17-05 AT 05:19 PM (EST)]From post #15 to now (and Davids post # 11)it's been more positive than I expected, this is the way we have to talk about something WE can do together.
It's somewhat disturbing we haven't heard from PappyJ about this thread.
bruneau
Contributor
Contributor

Postby allanlummox » Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:41 pm

Not that disturbing -

He does have a Business to run.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby cheyenne » Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:28 am

Well I got one tip that could go in the book.

For those who play but are not so adept at recording themselves, always remember to turn all of your gear up to a reaonable volume but not to make it go in the 'red zone'.

So what I have for example, a lot of times, I run my guitar directly into the input of a sampler machine I have which acts as a clean amp+fx, then from that through a little mixer, then into my pc.

It makes a good difference if on each successive bit of gear, the volume is at a nice sort of 90-95% range when you're hitting your guitar hard.
90% max input volume on the sampler level meter, about the same on the LED level meter on mixer (bit of orange, no red) and also not to forget, on the computer I record into, adjusting that so that it doesn't start clipping either.

So once that's done, you have the best setup possible to record both loud stuff without clipping and to pickup the nuances and softer parts as well. (Which also minimises the amount of electrical humming through your system as best as possible too!)

That's kind of like one of the most basic things for sound recording but it's important otherwise you can get a bad sound that's tinny, weak, full of hum, and distorted all at the same time!
cheyenne
Regular

Re: Book of BRB

Postby bruneau » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:55 pm

And after years it stays a good Idea!

A book
or a DVD

Or a book with a DVD!!!
bruneau
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stumblin » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:53 am

bruneau wrote:And after years it stays a good Idea!

A book
or a DVD

Or a book with a DVD!!!

Quite a blast from the past, eh?
Still, not such a silly idea, really. A hell of a lot of work though.
stumblin
Regular

Postby jeffl » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:52 pm

stumblin wrote:
bruneau wrote:And after years it stays a good Idea!

A book
or a DVD

Or a book with a DVD!!!

Quite a blast from the past, eh?
Still, not such a silly idea, really. A hell of a lot of work though.
Spoken like a man who was involved in compiling one of the BRB CD compilations a few years back, eh Andy...! :lol: Just keepin' track of the communications requires an administrative assistant. Of course, there'd have to be a chapter on the Boz & the CBG'ers.... and one on the contributions of the women, including at least one who left in a huff, lol! And, I think there were actually a few regional BRB jams in the old days, at least one or two in Eastern U.S., and mebbe the West Coast. And then there was Donald F. Duck...whoa baby! And then, the early Grady, who could flame with the best of them. Of course, a chapter on the "suppliers", like Diamond, Harpgear, and summa you newer mic & tech guys. The buskers would have to get a chapter too. I think a chapter on the Brits, Aussies, Kiwis, and central Europeans, etc. There's no end to the possibilities.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stumblin » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:38 pm

Sure enough, Bubba!
This could be like a whole shelf full o' heavy "Britannica" type volumes.
stumblin
Regular

Postby NEONMOONY » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:52 am

:(
NEONMOONY
Regular

Postby howlnwoof » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:19 pm

I've actually printed up and saved the entire "Bluesman" saga (except for the quickly ended "flying monkees" storyline) from it's humble origins so many years ago. I've thought of editing and rewriting it so the story would flow.....and offering it up in some book form. (with credits going of course to all who contributed)
I've also thought of compiling a "Bluesman Primer" with an overview and listing of all characters appearing.
howlnwoof
Regular

Postby maxx england » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:23 pm

Do you want to add the spin off series to Bluesman?

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=8340
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Previous

Return to Suggestion Box and Opinions