BRB, UK - 2006

What about the blues club(s) in your area? Any worth visiting? Blues festivals or events?

BRB, UK - 2006

Postby badfinger » Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:14 am

It’s time to start thinking about Big Road Blues, UK - 2006, and this is a preliminary notice of same.

As the wheels groan into motion (i.e., Ian and Wanderin’ John were knocking them back in a reconnaissance foray to The Mill, last night) it is pretty certain that the dates will be March 10th – 12th, Friday night thru’ Sunday, and that the “The Mill On The Soar”, Broughton Astley, Leicestershire, will again be blessed by our presences.

“The Mill” has been completely refurbished and the eatery now boasts of being “The Hungry Horse” at “The Mill on The Soar”… (Oh well, the glorias continue to transit sickly, and with increasing frequency; it could be worse, I suppose…)

For those whose sheltered lives have left them ignorant of this annual affair, and for the benefit of the memory-challenged among us, Broughton Astley is just south of Leicester, close to the junction of M69 and M1, and only twenty minutes from Birmingham Airport – so you lucky people in mainland Europe won’t miss out.

The form of the event will probably follow previous years, thus:
(Provisional, because everything changes... All the time... Sometimes... Maybe… In any case, details will be posted as and when!)

Friday Afternoon/Evening.
Arrive and register (well, it’s what all the posh do’s have, isn’t it, a “registration?”), zonk out.... Meet old and new friends in the bar and restaurant.... Comment on weight gain and hair loss… Bit of impromptu jamming, busking in the snug...

Saturday
There will be the usual plethora of workshops, teach-ins, jams and afternoon naps, in and around the main hotel complex, and in the evening the Saturday Night “Jam And Come All Ye” backed by our old friends “The Mothball Boys”.

Sunday
A leisurely brunch.... The freeze-your-knackers-off photo session in the car park… And off for another year.

The cost is not yet defined, but will not be much different (if at all) from last year, which was paltry, especially when weighed against the value of being there!
(See, http://www.bigroadblues.com/cgi/dcforum ... page_num=1 )

This, and other nitty gritty will be posted as soon as we have firm figures, and definite bookings will have be made, but, in the meantime, so we have at least some idea of numbers, please e-mail me, as soon as possible, if you are planning to be there.
badfinger
Regular

RE: BRB, UK - 2006

Postby houndog » Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:45 pm

Lovely Baddfingg,
but couldn't you consider the venue to be nearer to a civilized country ;)

adios,
Lovat
houndog
Regular

Postby maxx england » Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:39 pm

>Lovely Baddfingg,
> but couldn't you consider the venue to be nearer to a
>civilized country ;)
>
>adios,
> Lovat

How dare you! We civilised bodies here are proud to demonstrate those things which are mere myths to you Blue Painted Picts: walls, doors, plumbing, windows, and heating that does not rely on throwing Grannie's wooden leg on the coals.

As fer bein there, you ain't got a wall big enough to keep me out. However, important dietary question: the catering isn't run by a psycopathic cheese fiend is it? Any camping? And what cider they got? Not poxy Woodpecker, please God, not poxy Woodpecker.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby badfinger » Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:33 pm

"...couldn't you consider the venue to be nearer to a civilized country"

One would be delighted,'Dawg, but, as has been said before, to organise the venue, accommodation, backing group, PA, etc, at such a distance, becomes a logistical nightmare - and would also probably reduce the attendance dramatically. Sad, but there 'tis.

"the catering isn't run by a psycopathic cheese fiend is it?"
You've been before!!!

"Any camping?" I hope not.

"what cider they got?" Haven't the foggiest.

You could always ask:
http://www.millonthesoar.com/
http://www.pub-explorer.com/leics/pub/m ... astley.htm
http://www.hungryhorse.co.uk/ (Yikes! This one looks worse than Disneyland!)
badfinger
Regular

Postby houndog » Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:55 pm

Fair eough Baddfingg,
it actualy made me think that a similar Scottish event would be just the job.

Amazing,that MI clip showed a cow looking to eat ...a cow..

Bovine madness.

adios,
Lovat
houndog
Regular

Postby mikedev » Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:56 pm

Well unfortunatley I won't be there next year.

I came to realise at last that I can't play to save my life, and with the major changes I have made to my life this year I just don't have the same urge to practice.

So I have put my electric guitars and amp on e-bay.

Anyone in the UK looking for any of:

Classsic Series Tele - 50's model
Epi Dot
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe amp

head on over and bid!

I'm keeping my accoustic and may well give the old blue bottle side I bought from Diamond a bit more work, but until and unless I get the urge to make a fool of myself in public gain, I'm strictly playing my guitar in the bedroom!

Thanks to those of you have encouraged me to play over the last few years, particularly Sandy and Badfinger.

I hope all thse that go have a great time and maybe I'll comeback in 2007!

Mike
mikedev
Regular

Postby sandy » Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:14 pm

As I have said privately, it is I who should thank you - you helped give me the confidence to get up in front of people. I still think you are going through a phase - don't burn all your bridges!
sandy
Contributor
Contributor

Postby badfinger » Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:19 pm

Mike - it just won't feel right!!!!

I, we, all of us know that "fed-up-with-it-all-can't-be-bothered" feeling. (It's been hanging around me for this past year) but then a little itch, starts... A little riff or part of a tune begins to tickle the back of the mind... And next thing you know, you're reaching for something with strings on, to try it out!
So, as said - save at least one of the bridges.
badfinger
Regular

Postby badfinger » Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:21 pm

"a similar Scottish event would be just the job"

Well now.... There's a thought - Spring in Leics, Autumn in Embra?
badfinger
Regular

Postby stumblin » Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:00 am

"...don't burn all your bridges!"
Ditto. Mike, just keep plugging away at it. Like a great man once said: "let that boy boogie woogie. It's in him, an' it's gotta come out."
I'm toying with the idea of attending the advertised event, but the sheer unadulterated crapness of the catering and early bar closing might prejudice my decision a bit.
stumblin
Regular

Postby rustyred » Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:56 am

Mike: See, they're all saying what I said! Keep at least one electric guitar back.

I had a look at your e-Bay listings. I hate to see all this stuff go. It's all in virtually new condition. Having said that, I'll be interested to see how the bidding goes. On the face of it, I'd have thoughy that you've set your opening bids a little high. Still, all the best with that, if you go ahead with it. Someone's going to be picking up some lovely gear.

Badfinger: re the March weekend - still thinking about it!

Rusty Red
rustyred
Regular

Postby maxx england » Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:26 pm

>Well unfortunatley I won't be there next year.
>
>I came to realise at last that I can't play to save my life,
>and with the major changes I have made to my life this year
>I just don't have the same urge to practice.
>

Like everbody else says, don't burn all your bridges.
And keep your machine heads oiled too. Just keep one trusty instrument there ready for a day when the itch hits you.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby maxx england » Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:53 pm

Cost of this here - how much to people NOT staying at the hotel?
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby maxx england » Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:33 pm

I have found out about the cider - I had to, I have the tragedy of an allergy to my old friend, beer - and they have Strongbow. Not much better than Woodpecker, but better than nothing.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby badfinger » Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:13 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Nov-22-05 AT 09:18 AM (EST)]"how much to people NOT staying at the hotel?"

As said, costs are not defined yet, but based on last year it would be somewhere in the region of £50.

Note that the room charges will be per room: two people sharing pay half each.

As for the catering - those of us who actually ate there probably agree that it wasn't exactly excellent, but it sufficed.

And for those to whom the HH fare proves unattractive (but note that it is now part of a different chain and regime) then the number of pubs, restaurants, takeaways, etc, in the area, is more than adequate to anyone's needs.
badfinger
Regular

Next

Return to HomeTown Blues