Blues at LeChai in Visalia

What about the blues club(s) in your area? Any worth visiting? Blues festivals or events?

Blues at LeChai in Visalia

Postby lorilu » Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:43 am

Hey RF,
Lots going on in your town. If you haven't heard Rudy Parris (you probably have) his band will be at this Le Chai on Main Street Saturday the 25th. Great band last time I saw them.
lorilu
Regular

RE: Blues at LeChai in Visalia

Postby rf101st » Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:23 am

I have seen Rudy a few times. He does a great job. Steam'n Stan Ruffo is coming either next Wednesday or the following. I love listening to him, great harp blues! He opened for BB King when he came through town a few years ago.

Visalia is really getting into the Blues scene. I cant wait for the summer when the "Blues, Brews and BBQ" comes back downtown. I always seem to need a driver those nights!
rf101st
Regular

Postby lorilu » Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:47 am

I haven't seen Stan Ruffo but heard good things. I have had a hard time getting myself out lately. It's always inspiring and usually lifts me up for awhile. I'll probably keep posting about what's goin on in the area but hopefully you're getting the newsletter from http://www.cvbs.com
lorilu
Regular

Postby rf101st » Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:44 pm

I sure am thanks for the tip. I joined last week!
rf101st
Regular

Postby lorilu » Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:14 pm

Went to LeChai and not my kinda place but they're playing music and people are dancing so more power to em. I had to leave but not before having a pretty good time. $6(!!!!!) beer and just the fancy kind but the folks were having a lot of fun. Got a tip to go to Doogle McGuires and it was more laid back and not too many people there so I got to hang with the band and had a great time. Very informal as the drummer was just playing for the first time with this guitar player Howard Schall. The drummer, Richard, was a serious metal drummer and really great person. He SAID the blues was hard for him but he nailed it and drove it home so I don't know what he's talking about. There's a lot of potential as these guys are some great musicians with Greg Moreno on bass and Howard on guitar and I don't know Richard's last name but he rocks. There could be room for these guys to get really creative and do something different since there are some originals. It's hard though, if the creator can let it turn it into a band they can create together. We'll see. Very uplifting and inspiring for me and I'm ready to practice.
lorilu
Regular

Postby rf101st » Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:59 am

Cool, I have been seen a few times at Doogles tossing back a few pints! Brewbakers is the other place in town with blues. Its only a few blocks east of the wine bar right on Main street.
rf101st
Regular

Postby lorilu » Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:37 pm

Yes, I am familiar with Brewbaker's but never been in. Who else do you recommend to see - the cover playing thing is not fun for me unless it's blues and, no offense to anyone, but the yuppie thing makes me very uncomfortable. My first response is if I can't get out of here fast then I gotta find a way to numb out and that's not good.
lorilu
Regular

Postby rf101st » Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:35 am

Around here is very touchy...oakies trying to be yuppies so you kind of have to just go with this town. I have not been in LeChai? yet, but I am going to try and go this weekend. Brewbakers is a good bar, just kind of an odd set up. Great beer tho. I think I am off topic a bit here...

AC Miles Band is great if you can catch him around here. Smokin guitar player for a young guy. Been following him for a couple years now since the RB bar in Tipton.

Rudy Parris does a good show.

Steamin Stan...love him!

There was a slide player at Brewbakers last Wednesday. I followed the link to his site and he sounded really good! I cant remember his name right now, but check the CVBlues site.

Hope that helps. I want to start traveling a bit going to the different shows on the Blues site, just need to find a DD. I like the beer too much to be driving!!
rf101st
Regular

Postby lorilu » Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:26 am

Yeah, I know what you mean. I don't drink too much but there are other things I like so I just try to be moderate. I like the okies trying to be yuppies I didn't know that was what was happening. Good one. I like okies just as okies. You cannot get drunk at LeChai's unless you have a lot of money. It's like the Fresno Fair. Maybe'll see you around.
lorilu
Regular

Return to HomeTown Blues