Monthly Blues Jam at Ethel's in Bakersfield

What about the blues club(s) in your area? Any worth visiting? Blues festivals or events?

Monthly Blues Jam at Ethel's in Bakersfield

Postby lorilu » Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:20 pm

Well, Mickey it looks like there's no way out for you, boy. Your time has come. Time to jam. Check it out on http://www.cvbs.com. I'm on you like flies on...
lorilu
Regular

RE: Monthly Blues Jam at Ethel's in Bakersfie

Postby mickeypainless » Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:13 pm

LMAO
LL, yer link goes to the "Central Valley Builders Supply"!
I the weekly e mail from the Blues Soc. so I'll ck it out!
THANKS
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mickeypainless » Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:21 pm

LoriLu,
Did ya see that JLH Jr is gonna be at the Starline in Fresno? I can't make it up there due to work load but I will make it work next time i have more notice! I dig his daddy's stuff so hopefully he'll be a treat as well!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lorilu » Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:46 am

Did you need any building supplies? I meant to do that. Too funny. That qualifies as dork material. It's funny about John Lee Jr. in that I went to see Bill Morganfield Jr. Muddy's son here a few years back and he was good and had a great band but I highly disliked him personally so I jumped to conclusions about JLH jr. That is unfair and I might read up on him and check it out. I love the Starline. Thanks.
lorilu
Regular

Postby lorilu » Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:29 pm

Mickey,
You probably know Little Charlie & The Nightcats and also Rod Piazza and his Mighty Flyers are in Bakersfield this Saturday at the Holiday Inn. THAT is gonna be a GREAT show. I hope you can get to it. Let us know how it went. I'm torn about JLHjr as my daughter is home sick and I don't want to be gone that long. She says it's fine but - you know. Looks like it's gonna be a great show.
lorilu
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:08 pm

DAMN! I've gotta be up in Plesanton from Fri eve thru Sun afternoon workin! Unfortunately I won't even have time to go see if Dan is play'n somewhere around the city!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lorilu » Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:29 am

Too bad Mickey, but if you're like me you gotta work when you can. Have a safe trip.
lorilu
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:46 am

Thanx LL!
Sometimes I wish I was in more of a "work when I can" (or want too)! But since there are only about 30 of us in California (300 in da world) and over a million horses in CA alone... I travel about 1000 miles a week and have to turn my phones off on Sun just to get a break! I have a hellava time say'n no!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lorilu » Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:19 pm

That is awesome! Mostly the vets do the floating around here, but like I said I remember one dentist, I think, at a small show barn with a metal contraption. At that barn the worst horses were the trainer's own horses. A 2 year old paint and 3 year old quarter and I could not get them out of their stalls and anywhere without some rearing. It sucked. They were both spoiled and frustrated. I finally convinced her to turn all the horses out to play everyday. But as all the showbarns they were allowed no contact with each other. In most of the barns I worked the horses were kept in stalls 23 hours a day. Again, no contact with other horses because they didn't want any scars or nicks on their coats. They were given something in their feed to make them always shed so they would have no fur. They were shaved from inside their nostrils to their feet. One trainer kept slinkies and 3 extra blankets all winter so they would never grow a winter coat. They never had any sun or grazing. She wanted me to show her horses and learn western dressage. I didn't want to wear the weird outfits.
lorilu
Regular

Postby ricochet » Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:38 pm

Bald horses?! That's beyond weird.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:55 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Mar-01-06 AT 03:00 PM (EST)]>>>Bald horses?! That's beyond weird.

LOL! No, they keep em blanketed and under lights so they don't get that fuzzy winter coat (which they don't need in most parts of Calif.)! They have all the hair that they would in the summer but nice and slicked out! It ain't cruel or mean, it's just a way of keepin their hair coat nice and shiny!
As far as the shaving that LL is talkin about... the way we do it is just to clipper the exterior of the ears and nostrils and the feathers around the ankles for a neater appearance.
Me personally, all my horses live in huge outdoor runs and I never show prep em so in the winter they look like woolly mammoths! LOL
I gave up the show world years ago and just do ranch work and ranch competitions anymore.
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mickeypainless » Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:58 pm

>>>Mostly the vets do the floating around here,

Yeah I KNOW LL! I've been called in to fix several that well meaning BUT under educated Vets have tried to do! I have 3 groups of ladies up in yer area that I do work for but most of em haul down to a Vet clinic in Clovis for me to do em there.
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby cas » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:31 pm

Yep, body shaved my share of horses just so I could show them without doing all that other stuff. You still have to blanket if it's cold, but you can leave them hairy until show season starts.

Lorilu, I do dressage, and western, but western dressage is a new one on me.

Carol
cas

Postby lorilu » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:00 pm

I guess it's common practice for showing. I don't like showing practices, I guess. I was learning some english dressage for an english trainer that wanted to hire me as an assistant and to show, learning to post (not post). Western dressage is of course, with western saddle, lots of silver and sparkles. Backing up, crossing over, stepping over stuff, trotting, perfect(?) head and feet. I don't know I didn't get too far into it. I used to just like to get on some crazy horses when I was young and go break neck haulin sss thru the figs and down to the river. I never owned any horses but we rode the horses my friend had.
As a groom for a hunter jumper trainer I was supposed to pull manes but couldn't stomach it. They say it doesn't hurt but how can you pull that much hair out of a horse? I mean, when I used to ride we would grab on to the mane but never jerk out hair.
I worked for a mini horse driving trainer. She had these little studs and some adorable little horses. The thing is - A lot of these horses - hunters and a lot of show horses are supposed to be really thin like models. Just on the verge of too thin. That was hard because I had to feed and I knew they were really hungry but the anorexic trainers wanted the horses the same way. Showing could be fun if it weren't for some of the fashion elements that I don't understand. I sure don't like how many show horses are kept caged up alone in stalls for their whole lives. I guess I would change the rules on that part if I could. Shoot - I would change a lot of things. Mickey has told me there are some really great trainers out there. Too bad that guy couldn't make up a new rule book. Something to update the royalty aspect of things.
lorilu
Regular

Postby ricochet » Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:10 pm

One of the ladies I work with had a horsie mishap yesterday evening. Her husband had been feeding the horse carrots. She reached up to pet him on the nose, and he sucked her whole hand in his mouth and bit down on her fingers! She had to jerk it out, as he didn't want to turn loose, then was running around yelling and waving her hand, and it still hurt today. Of course I wasn't much help. I was warning the other ladies to watch out for her in case she starts acting funny, foaming at the mouth and such. (I did advise her to update her tetanus shot, since she got some slight skin breaks and hadn't had one in a long time.)

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Next

Return to HomeTown Blues