Rollin' and Tumblin'

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

Rollin' and Tumblin'

Postby socal_blues » Mon Aug 06, 2001 9:56 pm

This is one of my favorite blues songs. I haven't heard enough different versions to decide which I think is "best", and besides, I haven't heard a version of it that I haven't liked. But I'd like to hear some recommendations. What is your favorite version of this song?
socal_blues
Regular

RE: Rollin' and Tumblin'

Postby slidnslim » Mon Aug 06, 2001 11:15 pm

Welcome SoCalBlues, My favourite version has got to be Canned Heats'I'm sure there is better versions of this song, maybe its the harmonica in it I don't know, but I like it best. Slim
slidnslim
Regular

Postby mikedev » Tue Aug 07, 2001 5:30 am

The Robert Johnson version - that isn't called Rolling & Tumbling! Just love the guitar on it.

What is it called?

Is it "If I had possession over judgement day"?
mikedev
Regular

Postby mikedev » Tue Aug 07, 2001 5:31 am

Robert Johnson - "If I had possession over judgement day".
mikedev
Regular

Postby mikedev » Tue Aug 07, 2001 5:32 am

Robert Johnson - "If I had posession over judgement day".
mikedev
Regular

APPOLOGIES!!!!

Postby mikedev » Tue Aug 07, 2001 5:34 am

I had some problems here - sorry about the multiple posts!
mikedev
Regular

Postby blueswriter » Tue Aug 07, 2001 12:35 pm

Casting my vote for this one, I'd have to say, hands down, it's the Baby Face Leroy version originally on Parkway. Muddy's version, used to squash Baby Face's (because Muddy waxed that amazing slide sound for another label) was strong. But Baby Face, with Muddy and Little Walter, put the lid on this one. Of course, that's electric versions. As for acoustic, I'd opt for Hambone Willie Newbern's. Just my .27 cents, other's mileage may vary...
blueswriter
Contributor
Contributor

Postby socal_blues » Fri Aug 31, 2001 8:11 pm

>Casting my vote for this one,
>I'd have to say, hands
>down, it's the Baby Face
>Leroy version originally on Parkway.
> Muddy's version, used to
>squash Baby Face's (because Muddy
>waxed that amazing slide sound
>for another label) was strong.
> But Baby Face, with
>Muddy and Little Walter, put
>the lid on this one.
> Of course, that's electric
>versions. As for acoustic,
>I'd opt for Hambone Willie
>Newbern's. Just my .27
>cents, other's mileage may vary...
>

Great suggestions. I'm not familiar with Babyface Leroy or Hambone Willie Newbern so I'll have to check them out. Thanks.
socal_blues
Regular

Postby blueswriter » Sun Sep 02, 2001 12:40 am

Hey SoCal... Happy to be of assistance. Hambone Willie's is recognized as the first version of the song ever recorded. I have it on LP, a couple different country blues compilations. As for finding it on CD, I'd try a couple of search engines. Baby Face Leroy Foster was a journeyman back in the 1940's and 50's. He was part of the famous "Headhunters" that included Muddy. They'd run around Chicago finding bands at taverns, proceed to 'sit in' (as we call it today), and blow the competition off the stage. Leroy's version was cut for Parkway, a small Chicago label, and Muddy joined him for the session with Little Walter. Muddy was under contract with the Chess brothers, and when they heard the record, they demanded that Muddy recut it on Aristocrat (forerunner to the actual Chess label). Since Parkway couldn't compete with the money the Chess brothers had, Baby Face's version was outsold and quickly forgotten. Muddy's version was definitely strong, and this isn't meant to downplay his role in Chicago blues, but Baby Face Leroy's has so much more intensity. Each time I hear the two and compare them, I get the feeling that Muddy, as a friend of Leroy's, cut his just to satisfy the Chess brothers. I think he knew the version he helped his friend out on was the true winner. As for where to find that one, the Catfish label out of the UK has a compilation disc called "Classic Slide Guitar Blues - Volume 2" that you should be able to find pretty easily. It has Part 1 & 2 on it. Sound quality is great. Definitely search it out or order it. You may be surprised at what Muddy played like on a friend's session! Anyone here know where to find Hambone Willie's version on CD?

"Can't tell my future, sure can't tell my past, seems like every minute, sure gonna be my last."
blueswriter
Contributor
Contributor

Postby slidnslim » Sun Sep 02, 2001 11:07 pm

Hey Blueswriter I got my Hamebone Willie Newbern rollin and tumbling, on Roots of Robert Johnson Yazoo, really great disc, Slim
slidnslim
Regular

Postby blueswriter » Mon Sep 03, 2001 11:27 pm

Hey Slim... Thanks for the tip, I'll look for it over the weekend. The reason I don't have some things on CD yet is due to a number of reasons. I get a lot of stuff sent to me, which is a big plus, and 98% of what I receive is right up my alley:

Chicago stuff from the 30's to present
Other locales like Detroit, NY, Texas
West Coast and Kansas City Blues
1930's Delta and Country Blues

Because of what I get in the mail, it keeps my own buying costs down, but I do go out and purchase things because, ultimately, I know I'll like the artist, and the intent is to write about all this stuff. I have everything on the CD you mentioned, either in CD or LP format. As I build my CD collection, I also attempt to find discs of things I always loved on LP. Case in point; I've always loved the material that came from the Trumpet label in Jackson, MS. Sonny Boy II recorded for that label before going to Chicago... anyway... Last year I received a Sonny Boy disc, and a Willie Love disc from a label. There was a third disc that wasn't sent, for some unknown reason, but I didn't quibble. All three just came out as a package set for a ridiculously low price, and the one I didn't get was part of the set, along with the two I got for free. So, to make a long story short, I bought the 3-fer to have Big Joe Williams, Luther Huff, Arthur Crudup, and Bobo Thomas. I'll trade the other two off and still have the complete set.

I know, I'm longwinded sometimes, but I can't think of much better time spent other than sitting around and discussing great blues with the folks in here. Of course, there are a few things that maybe top it, but since they're outside the blues realm, we'll leave well enough alone. Okay, I've been going on too long as it is... Later.

"Can't tell my future,
sure can't tell my past,
seem like every minute,
sure gonna be my last"
blueswriter
Contributor
Contributor

Postby chillywilly » Tue Sep 04, 2001 12:44 am

You got a good thing going, Blueswriter! Nice. Really enjoy your posts too, so don't worry about the occasional ramble- it always seems to be great information.

Well here's my vote for best version I've yet heard of Rollin' and Tumblin' but it was in the form of RJ's "If I had Possession...". It is Lonnie Pitchford's rendition on the 'Deep Blues' video/DVD. Man, the guy was feeling it. He was just a young guy but he died just a year or two after he was filmed by Robert Palmer. There's a diddley-bow on his gravestone. That's saying something.

goin' to the mountain, far as my eye can see....
Chilly
chillywilly
Regular

Postby blueswriter » Tue Sep 04, 2001 1:01 am

Hey Chilly... Thanks for the comments and understanding my occasional verbosity, if you will. While we're on the subject of films, I'll drop another one into the hat. First let me say that I agree Lonnie Pitchford was an amazing musician. I think his performance in "Deep Blues" was truly a high point. He was spirited and hittin' the note, as they say. Now, can anyone tell me what the heck Dave Stewart had to do with all that? I mean, coming from the Eurythmics isn't exactly pedigree for visiting R.L. Burnside. Okay, enough of that. Back to my suggestion for a film on blues...

Has anyone seen "Can't You Hear The Wind Howl" with Danny Glover narrating the Robert Johnson story? Keb' Mo' plays the role of RJ, but doesn't do any speaking. He voices to Robert's recordings and plays him throughout the movie in different scenes. It covers his background through people that knew him like Wink Clark, and RL Windam. It's longer than the one narrated by John Hammond, Jr. and I think it's a better job overall. I recommend this one even if you have the other one in your collection. And hey, isn't any film about Robert Johnson better than 98.3752% of what's on TV as a whole?

"Can't tell my future, sure can't tell my past, seems like every minute, sure gonna be my last"
blueswriter
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mikedev » Tue Sep 04, 2001 5:34 am

Are these available on video?
mikedev
Regular

Postby srvlives » Tue Sep 04, 2001 6:37 pm

I caught the last five minutes of 'Can't you hear the wind howl' when it aired on tv a while back. Love the ending where we find out what he wrote just before dying. Sure adds some mystery to those Crossroad rumours.

Reminds me I should make a concerted effort to find it....

"I never practice, so I'm nothing like as good as I should be" BB King
srvlives
Regular

Next

Return to Talking Blues