RE: best guitar duo

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

Postby bosco » Sat Mar 30, 2002 2:56 pm

DMC - Just the fact that I even had to think about that indicates that the answer is probably no... I reason that most guitar gods are prima donnas and not too eager to share the stage or studio with another ace. At the same time though, they jump at the chance to record or jam with great singers,harp,horn and keyboard players...

Interesting to note that the first duo to come to mind besides your offerings also includes E.C. On the CD, Freddie King 1934-1976, they trade licks on 4 awesome cuts. Eric names Freddie as his top influence but I think most of their playing together was live and I'm not aware of any other recordings. "Tore down" is a Freddie King tune and still E.C.'s top blues cut. Freddie died young so we can only speculate as to what might have been.

went down to the crossroads...
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bosco » Mon Apr 01, 2002 12:54 am

DMC, Yes, (Freddie King 1934-1976) #831 817-2 on Polydor, original release date 1977. It is widely available, think I got mine at Best Buy.

Freddie made a name for himself with his amazing guitar instrumentals of the 60's. In the early 70's he drifted a bit into what could best be described as "funk", with a lot of whah whah rhytymn guitar and electric piano (yuck). I guess nobody was buying blues then and he was just trying to sell records. Along came E.C. with his intense blues interest. Freddie took him under his wing and returned to his Texas blues roots. The CD has some great shots of a young Clapton and F.K. in the studio and detailed documentation of the dates, locations and personnel.
Good one to own.

Note- The band I'm in does 9 Freddie King covers on our setlist, more than any other artist. He is a personal hero of our lead guitar player.
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby howlnwoof » Fri Apr 12, 2002 10:55 pm

I'll admit I have never been a fan of John Mayall , have seen him twice at festivals and have yet to be impressed , but I can only imagine the fireworks when Coco Montoya and Walter Trout played side by side in that band . Anybody out there ever witness this in person ??

I got a rich mans woman ...livin on a poor mans pay.........
howlnwoof
Regular

Postby blues boss » Thu May 02, 2002 10:05 pm

Didn't see the Montoya / Trout duo - but can imagine how "ballistic" it must have been...

Got to meet Montoya here in Seattle (band I managed opened for him) and he's a pretty good guy....

Trout will be in our area this summer doing a festival (Mt. Baker Blues Festival) and I will catch that......his CD from the Tampa Festival (2000) is pretty high energy.......
blues boss
Regular

Postby ernest » Sun May 05, 2002 7:45 am

I realy like the songs that charlie patton and willie brown played togheter. For my it'is the best delta blues ever made.
ernest
Regular

Postby laughing boy » Sat Aug 10, 2002 3:26 am

Same here, I love Patton and Browns songs especially "Moon Going Down". I also love the few Son House recorded with him, and Fiddlin' Joe Martin. I also love Joe Callicot and Garfield Akers duet on "Cottonfield Blues".

"Make it lonesome now 'cause I'm a hobo myself sometimes"
-Bukka
laughing boy
Regular

Postby santo » Thu Sep 19, 2002 8:17 pm

Dwayne Allman and Dickie Betts worked together real well. They had Berry Oakley popping the bass strings and the groove was as wide as a two-lane backtop. Their live jams are history.
santo
Regular

Postby hoodoo hand » Sat Sep 21, 2002 3:43 am

How about Johnny Winter and Rick Derringer?

hoodoo hand
Regular

Postby bosco » Sat Sep 21, 2002 11:46 am

As long as we are bridging the gap to rock here...

Dick Wagner and Steve Hunter

Lou Reed "Rock N Roll Animal" is one of my all time favorite classic albums. On this live album, these two put on a clinic on how two electric guitarists can (and probably should) work together. Twin leads in harmony, lead echoes, trading lead licks. Their rhythym work is nothing short of amazing, weaving patterns in and around each other. As BW always says, mileage may vary (as do tastes), but if this sounds like hype, listen to the album and then tell me I'm wrong.

Incidentally, I believe this band was put together just for this concert tour in 1973. If anyone is aware of any other recordings these two made together I would appreciate it. Thanks.

"Think wrongly, if you please, but in all cases think for yourself."
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

RE: Rock and Roll Animal

Postby hoodoo hand » Sun Sep 22, 2002 12:08 am

Yeh, the overture to Sweet Jane is everything rock guitar should be.

Those guys were monsters. Check out this link for interviews with them:

http://www.vguitar.com/artists/details.asp?ID=27

hoodoo hand
Regular

Postby bosco » Sun Sep 22, 2002 3:03 pm

> Speaking of Freddie King. I have his Blues Guitar Hero CD
>and in the notes it says he died under tragic circumstances
>in Dallas,Texas on Dec 28,1976. Anyone know how he died?

Everything I've read indicates that he died of a massive heart attack, no suspected foul play. The reason it is always referred to as a tragic demise was because of his relatively young age. (42)

HooDoo - Thanks for the awesome link on Wagner & Hunter, great information! I had never heard the bit about Reed being jealous of their awesome talent and his fear of them stealing the show.

"Think wrongly, if you please, but in all cases think for yourself."
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby sandy » Mon Sep 23, 2002 11:59 am

>Incidentally, I believe this band was put together just for
>this concert tour in 1973. If anyone is aware of any other
>recordings these two made together I would appreciate it.

I haven't checked what information that link provided, and I may be risking any credibility I had, but Hunter and Wagner were responsible for the guitar work on Alice Cooper's Welcome to my Nightmare album and tour in the mid-70s. I saw the show in London in 1974 and there was a wonderful guitar duel between the two. I think they played on the Alice Cooper Show live album from that time, too (I think that's what it's called). By the way, I am taking my stepdaughter to see Alice Cooper in November - and I am not apologising for that. As pantomimes go, there is probably none better, although I doubt there will be anything as fine as the Hunter/Wagner playing.

Oh, and I have a Lou Reed live album with them playing on too. When I first heard it I naively thought "this sounds just like Alice Cooper". Wrong way round.
sandy
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bosco » Mon Sep 23, 2002 12:19 pm

Thanks for the input SANDY...

Check out the link; all the history is covered. W&H did indeed record (2) albums with Reed,(they both came from the same tour). Also they wrote and recorded extensively with Alice on many albums. You are lucky that you got to see them! :-)

PS- Enjoy the Cooper show...underneath the theatrics he's a great guy from what I've read. Over here, he's a golf nut and plays in dozens of Celebrity tournaments each year to raise money for charity.
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby sandy » Mon Sep 23, 2002 3:56 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Sep-23-02 AT 12:06 PM (CDT)]I noticed while watching a documentary about modern heavy bands recently just what a debt they owe to Alice Cooper.

PS. I've just read the Vintage Guitar interviews which said all I said and much, much more. I had heard that they "helped out" on the early albums.
sandy
Contributor
Contributor

Postby tele_caster _ » Thu Nov 21, 2002 3:27 pm

Keith Richard & Ronnie Wood
tele_caster _
Regular

Next

Return to Talking Blues