RE: Muddy vs. the Wolf

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

RE: Muddy vs. the Wolf..rant..rant

Postby blueswriter » Sun Jun 30, 2002 4:19 pm

Kudos Allan! As SL pointed out, your latest post did an excellent job of explaining what you intended to get across in your initial post, the one that twiddled my knobs a bit. I am always horrified at racist attitudes from people who cast aspersions on African-Americans. One thing that always struck me was how they were categorized as lazy and shiftless... in truth, the forefathers of this country (America) were the laziest group. They were the ones who sought out an avenue to have others build our railroads, clear our land, pick our crops and cotton... that's not capitalism. It IS racist, lazy, shiftless, and many other adjectives which could describe what went on. Thankfully, this great music is filled with people who respect and admire a determined continuation in the face of adversity that created this incredible music we share as our passion.

While I disagree with policies like that of Living Blues, fully explained by Doc Mojo elsewhere, that magazine gave birth to an interest in the music that still grows.

Another interesting sidenote was Alligator's early (unwritten?) policy to steer clear of white blues players. When the light dawned on marble head (years later), I believe the first two artists Iglauer signed were Johnny Winter and Roy Buchanan. While both have recorded some incredibly good music, neither one had (Buchanan) or has (Winter) a claim as the most convincing blues player (in my opinion).

Blueswriter
blueswriter
Contributor
Contributor

Postby allanlummox » Sun Jun 30, 2002 6:32 pm

I've always really, really liked both of those guys...especially Winter...but I see your point.

On the other hand, the records Winter did in the 80's, on Alligator, are my favorite things he's done.

And...thanks, I feel better with some of that off my chest.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby blueswriter » Sun Jun 30, 2002 7:29 pm

Allan... I also think both Buchanan and Winter contributed some great stuff; "The Messiah Will Come Again" by Roy has always connected with me for some reason, and JW has marked his territory without question, although I think his stuff during Muddy's rebirth was better... "Bladie Mae," "Divin' Duck," "One Step At A Time," etc.
My point about them stems from their somewhat scattered recording history since neither one seemed "all blues" to me. Both have offered some incendiary work which certainly brought other fans to blues, but they both went over the top on a number of occasions; something that has left me scratching my noggin for years.

Blueswriter
blueswriter
Contributor
Contributor

Postby allanlummox » Sun Jun 30, 2002 7:45 pm

Well, it's not like you can ONLY record blues if you're a blues artist...

There's a lot of different feelings to describe...
and there's also the marketplace to consider.

My own output is often criticised as being "Too much Blues"...or as "Not enough Blues".

which leaves me standing here, frustrated, guitar in hand.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby blueswriter » Sun Jun 30, 2002 7:57 pm

Not that as a blues player you can only, or should only, play blues. I guess to clarify it better, it's the somewhat odd approach to blues they take, or as in Roy's case, took. Johnny strikes me as a guy who has a massive understanding of the genre, yet he almost always plays (or played) at warpspeed. Roy, another massive talent, could sometimes be downright bizarre in his style. I'm not a purist by any means (if I were, I'd have denied ever listening to either!), but I am somewhat partial to what I consider a more traditional style. As a great for instance, Rick Holmstrom's new CD, "Hydraulic Groove," includes loops, samples, reverse drums, and everything else from the bizarro world, but his playing on it is so purely rooted in blues, I can't help but love what's on it. Check out this:

http://www.tonecool.com/holmstrom

and tell me what you think...

Blueswriter
blueswriter
Contributor
Contributor

Postby allanlummox » Sun Jun 30, 2002 8:41 pm

Well I'm intrigued...

But I kinda liked G Love...
got bored quicker than I expected, but dug what they were doing.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby allanlummox » Sun Jun 30, 2002 8:50 pm

I esoecially dig the Jimmy Smith vibe the Keys have.

Pretty cool stuff. Funky indeed.

The cut&paste could get old...in a Max Headroom kinda way...quick though.

(For me)
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby laughing boy » Thu Aug 08, 2002 3:48 am

You can't do that! Muddy & Wolf were seperate entitie's. There was no better musician. They were different and powerful. That's all. But Patton still over Son, Haw haw!!

"Make it lonesome now 'cause I'm a hobo myself sometimes"
-Bukka
laughing boy
Regular

Postby hoodoo hand » Wed Aug 21, 2002 2:35 am

Muddy. I saw him so many times in the 60's, I couldn't pass up a chance to see him in '55.

hoodoo hand
Regular

Postby duolian » Tue Oct 01, 2002 5:50 am

I'll have to go with Muddy on this one, as much as I dig the Wolf. Muddy's voice is too powerful to be denied, and I just find myself slightly partial to Mr. Morganfield.

Just my 2 cents
duolian
Regular

Postby srvlives » Tue Oct 01, 2002 6:02 am

Duo! Where you been!?

I emailed you a couple of weeks ago, maybe your address has changed.

Anyways, good to see you back...

'We told him to stop bothering us because he knew that he couldn't play' Son House (re RJ)
srvlives
Regular

RE: Muddy vs. the Wolf..rant..tran

Postby sandy » Tue Oct 01, 2002 10:57 am

>(and this is what burns me up about this 2nd rate
>copyist)

Maybe first-rate copyist would be more accurate??? Keep everyone happy.

I've never seen any footage of Wolf - is there any? I have seen Muddy on film, so I would chose Wolf out of curiosity.
sandy
Contributor
Contributor

Postby duolian » Mon Oct 07, 2002 11:35 pm

Hey SRVLIVES!

Been away a long while, but I'm back now....

How've you been? My email did change... I've sent you a message to your inbox here with my new email address.

Talk to ya soon,
Duo
duolian
Regular

Postby stonegroove » Mon Oct 14, 2002 2:54 am

The Wolf. I heard he had quite the stage presence. I know Muddy had a great band, but so did the Wolf. And from what I understand he was quite great show. And that voice, and those songs. Ooof. Wolf, hands down.

Signing off,
Stonegroove Willie
stonegroove
Regular

Previous

Return to Talking Blues