Albert king VS. B.B. King?

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

Albert king VS. B.B. King?

Postby mrman » Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:57 am

mrman
Regular

none

Postby mrman » Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:05 am

I'd have to say that the both tear-it-up on guitar,but I've got to say B.B. King is slightly better that albert is.Mostly because I've heard more of B.B.'s stuff,also because Albert only played short bust of guitar,but was really good at it.;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-)
mrman
Regular

RE: none

Postby lightninboy » Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:03 pm

Albert for my money.
He deserves MUCH more credit than he gets.
Check out "Drowning on dry land".
Woo Hoo!!!
lightninboy
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bosco » Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:19 am

I've heard more of B.B.'s stuff, also because Albert only played short bursts of guitar...

Sounds like you haven't heard ANY of Albert's stuff. B.B.'s the one who plays short, very repetitive, burst of guitar. B.B's mostly renowned for being a singer and blues ambassador.

Albert could play circles around B.B.'s guitarwork. Check out Live Wire/Blues Power and the 10 minute "Blues Power" or the 8 minute "Blues At Sunrise" to hear short bursts of guitar.

Albert is the champ here in my book.
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby savage » Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:23 am

I like Albert and BB are both great musicians. However BB has been one of my favorite blues singers for as long as I can remember.
savage
Regular

Postby grzz51 » Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:24 am

Back in the late 80's when the King Biscuit Blues Fest was just getting started I walked the 5 blocks from my home at the time down to the Fest and to watch a few acts.... a very large and tall black man (who looked more at home on a John Deere tractor... he had on a pair of over-alls with one strap undone and an old straw hat and a pipe) wandered up to the back of the stage and somebody gave him a bottle of water. I figured he was one of the locals who was hot, tired and thirsty. After he had drank the water he just sat there on a folding chair and I was waiting for some one to run him off... after a while the band changed and and the new one played some good blues instrumentals, then the announcer said....."give it up for Albert King". That ragged old black man uncoiled all of his 6 foot 4 inch frame and some one handed him a Flying-V and he put on a show like I'd not seen before or since. He played the KBBF again in October before he died in December but that first time really hooked me!!
grzz51
Regular

Postby ofcluke534 » Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:21 pm

Actually, I'm not a B.B. fan. I think he stays in the pocket way too much. Albert is absolutely my favorite blues guitarist. Even his more mainstream stuff (such as Like a Road Leading Home and Lonesome) get me feeling it. I think Albert puts way more passion into his recordings and it shows. Granted, B.B. rarely plays a sour not or makes any mistakes, but I like my blues a bit more raw.
ofcluke534
Regular

Postby bluesmcgoo » Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:26 pm

It's Albert ALL the way!

Man, talk about makin' you feel it? He was the man.
bluesmcgoo
Contributor
Contributor

Postby warren » Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:44 pm

as an entertainer....bb

as a player.......albert

ww
warren
Regular

Postby ricochet » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:23 pm

Might shoulda asked Albert what he thought. He took his "King" stage surname from B.B., and named his Flying V "Little Lucy" after B.B.'s "Lucille."

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:40 am

2 very different styles here IMO! I love BB fer his stuff and think Albert is a bloody wizard on guitar! Dead tie in my book same as I like apples AND oranges!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby boogiechillun85 » Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 am

I listened to Albert King on the way to class today. And I literally just got back from seeing BB at the Trenton War Memorial. So I can fairly accurately judge the two.
BB clearly. Albert was good and all, but BB is a freakin' genius on the instrument.
Jim
http://www.soundclick.com/jimnjblues
boogiechillun85
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mickeypainless » Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:07 am

One thing I really dig about BB is his minimalist approach to guitar!
He sez SOOOOO much in so few notes! I sometimes force myself to limit the notes used in my phrasing and try to emulate BB. MAN, is that hard to do for me! I'm still in that stage where I wanna play a gazzillion notes as fast as I can so this is a GREAT practice tool fer me!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dcblues » Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:50 am

Freddy. :)
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 601blues » Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:07 am

I really don't understand this thread!! at all,music is not a competition,between 2 contenders,every artist has someting to say and a way of sayin it,they all have different experiences to share,what a boring world we would have if they told the same story!!I can understand 1 artist touching you more that another,cause you can relate to his story,and his passion more,but to say 1 is just better than another,I feel someone is missing out on the essence of music.
601blues
Regular

Next

Return to Talking Blues