teacher...

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

teacher...

Postby norman » Sun Mar 13, 2005 4:05 pm

Hi there! been playing for a few years on my accoustic guitar learning songs by mjhurt, bbfuller, light.hopkins and such and i really love it. However i'm finding out more and more there seems to be a limit as to where i'll get to with books. I want to get myself a good teacher! I was just wondering how would you guys recommend i go about finding one in my area (tips & tricks/warning kinda thing)

Thanx in advance

Norm
Montreal
norman
Regular

RE: teacher...

Postby norman » Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:29 am

I know noone answered.. but i still thought i'dd follow-up. I posted quite the same post on another forum and got an email answered from someone willing to give me lessons in a few pre-war blues styles. it might be luck but i just wanna say the forums like this one are amazing!! keep up the good work and thanx to all the people that give advice + add life to a nice community.

norm
norman
Regular

RE: teacher...

Postby david » Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:51 am

Norman, sorry nobody got back to you on this. I'm sure everyone was hesitating because this is THE age old question.

You find a teacher worth their salt and I guarantee they are looking for a teacher. Wanting to grow and improve beyond where you already are is the real key to all this. When you don't want that anymore, take the guitar down to the pawn shop and let somebody have it that can appreciate it.

Finding a teacher is largely a matter of where you are located. Many people find that just finding folks to jam with is a great learning/expanding method in itself. Others find a formal teacher to be a real benefit.

If you are around cities either of these should be fairly easy to find as long as you aren't shy.

If you are in a rural area, it will be a much harder time.

I tried contacting the guitar teachers I knew of even though they didn't teach anything I was interested in. I asked them if they knew of anybody. Nobody knew anybody specific, but a few gave me names that might know someone who knows someone. I made the calls and eventually ran down a woman who played mainly country and gospel music that was pretty good at finger picking and some slide. She agreed to teach me.

Turns out she had religious objections to blues, but she did give me a few lessons in which she fine tuned some of my technique, which took me beyond where I was.

Circumstances have prevented me from looking for more sources. I've never found anyone locally that likes blues, much less slide guitar.

In short, beat the bushes and don't give up. In the mean time, you'll find, as I have, that there are folks here on this board that can talk you through a lot of what you need.

Good luck.
david
Contributor
Contributor

RE%3A teacher...

Postby bighollowtwang » Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:51 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Mar-17-05 AT 00:53 AM (EST)].
bighollowtwang
Regular

Return to Talking Blues