Electric Mud

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

Electric Mud

Postby Disciple » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:03 am

Was just reading thru the recommended blues thread and spotted both the recommendation and the slagging of Muddy's Electric Mud album.

If I recall Rolling Stone lambasted it as being a very poor album, it does come off a little shallow in the psychedelia groove that was the rage of the day when it was released.

However it is one of the first Blues albums I sought out, it definitely is anchored solidly in the blues and is performed by one hell of a tight band. That little 'outro' thing from the tune My Girl is some of the prettiest and emotive guitar ever recorded. There is some amazing music on this much criticized album and I for one think it has far more merit the the wigs at Rolling Stone allowed.

There is no doubt that it influenced Levon Helm to write the Electric Dirt album.

I'd say it just might be that Muddy discovered that transitioning into that wild messed up world of Psychedelia is no easier for the worlds best bluesmen than the "trip" into the blues that so many acid soaked hippies failed at.

Looky hear...........Electric Mud deserves much more respect than it often gets. :D :D
Disciple
Regular

Re: Electric Mud

Postby jellyroll baker » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:55 pm

As a Muddy Waters album its absolutely terrible.

As a slice of late-'60s psyche blues that just happens to have Muddy on lead vocals it's absolute goddam GENIUS. I love it and return to it often.

The follow up After The Rain might even be better. Pretty much the same band, tamed a little and with Muddy showing his presence a bit more. Check it out if you haven't already.
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Talking Blues