New harmonica page could use some visitors

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

New harmonica page could use some visitors

Postby jawbone60 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:27 am

I recently joined TalkMusic.com, and have realized that I am one of only three visitors to the harp page. I'm wondering if any of you harp guys could add a page to your bookmarks and swing by once in a while? If you bring questions or answers it would be great!

I'm not trying to snag anybody from here, I like and visit this joint regularly as well! Since I began the internet portion of the harp adventure I have looked for more and broader experience at a lot of different sites. In a way this is a small effort to pay a bit back.

Hope to see you once in a while over there!
jawbone60
Regular

Re: New harmonica page could use some visitors

Postby goldbrick » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:02 pm

I did take a look. Don't know that the world needs more forums-seems like interest has just let up in most forums these days. this used to be a great one-guess people have other interests
I saw your post to a beginner and appreciate your effort. The big issue with learning an instrument is putting in the time, getting over your frustrations and as Clint said -knowing your limitations

The great thing about the harp is the portability-I play drums, guitar , hand percussion etc.
I picked up the harp because it was portable and got tired of dragging other instruments around.

I haven't been playing long( bout a year and a half) but I play about 2 hours a day and that has made a tremendous difference. I am also not shy about breaking the harp out at my day job, beach etc and on breaks when the rest of the band is taking a break. Like any instrument somedays are diamonds and some are coal ( thanks billy Joe shaver)

The weird thing is that I work out licks on the guitar and then transpose to harp-worked up a good version of Dust my broom this morning-but had to see it on the fret board to put it on the harp
goldbrick
Regular

Postby jawbone60 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:58 pm

Old habits die hard GB. re: the new forum, I checked it out 2 weeks ago and liked it. Nice to have a couple of guys who are interested.
jawbone60
Regular

Postby panhead201 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:41 am

It's a pleasure,jawbone.I'm not big on the internut,just went online cause I broke my arm and can't play.I got my cast off last week and been playing like crazy to build everything back up.My mom started me on piano when I was 4.She was incredible.Was Julliard classical trained,but loved blues and jazz.She used to play the clubs in NYC when my father would let her.She used to bring me with her.Met Dinah Washington,Ella,etc,etc.Frank Sinatra was cool.Found a guitar when I was six.I was hooked.I hid it from her at first.I shoulda Known better.She was thrilled.She was committed ta a mental hosp. that year,my old man figured it was cheaper than divorce.I signed her out when L turned 18,she lived in my house til she died.I was happy I was making enough by then to take care o her.There wasn't much left of her mind by then,but she loved when I played riffs and sang scat.She made me play for hours.Or play John Mayall type harp.God,too many marlboro,s.I loved Marine Bands.Used to soak em till the reeds swelled up and cut the edges off.I still got most of them.John Hammond Sr. got me signed for the first time.I was 15.Phony drivers lic,s union card. the cops used to see me in a club and laugh.He was the greatest chromatic harp player I ever heard.Ran Columbia.In his case the apple fell far from the tree.Well I've already said too much,good luck,keep playing.Glad to meetcha. Ever notice how everybody on the internet is nine feet tall and better than Jeff Beck? TONEWISE WTF
panhead201
Regular

Postby jawbone60 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:12 pm

Thanks Panhead for the visit and the tales of life. My story is a bit more low key. We all think ours is important.

I just jammed with a guy who is primarily a harp/vocal guy but has begun the guitar journey as well.

I joined the TalkMusic bunch because I know the guy who set up the room and it's also an offshoot of a forum I've been a member of for several years now. I've gotten a good part of my education via the internet in the last 12-15 years when it comes to blues. After a short time at TalkMusic I was asked to mod the harmonica page. So there I am trying to get a couple of guy started on harp!
Being self taught for years and never getting much real music education, I may not be the best teacher, but I am doing what I can and not shy about pointing to more complete resources for new guys.
jawbone60
Regular

Return to Blues Harp