Tremolo Amp-Do You Use Built-in Trem?

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Tremolo Amp-Do You Use Built-in Trem?

Postby jawbone60 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:35 am

i have had a couple of tremolo amps, the first was a early 60's Princeton. i messed around with the trem but never incorporated it into my sound. sadly i lost that amp about 11 years ago.
my main amp for about 9-10 years now has been a Silvertone 1482 which has trem as well. AND we have the same amp for Jolene's guitar. recently she sort of "discovered" tremolo on a Vibro Champ with her new Kay. when we got the guitar home i cranked the trem on her 1482 and she is gaga over it. we brought home a foot switch for it the other day, and now i'm thinking it would be cool to have a foot switch as well.

so- anyb ody? experience, opinions, thoughts about tremolo as part of harp sound?
jawbone60
Regular

Re: Tremolo Amp-Do You Use Built-in Trem?

Postby Buffalo_Bill » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:52 pm

I'm not a harpist, but tremolo is an essential effect for my guitar style, second after reverb.
Used lightly all the time, and moderately for deep moods.
Some 1980s-90s amps substituted chorus for tremolo, and that's a lovely effect too.
Bill
Buffalo_Bill
Regular

Postby goldbrick » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:50 pm

My name is goldbrick and I am a tremolo addict

I collect small old amps with trem and the best I have found are Kalamazoo model2 and gibson Skylark
I use em for harp and guitar and they sound unworldly with a low tuned harp or my baritone tele
goldbrick
Regular

Postby jeffl » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:02 pm

IMO, it's just another effect, and can be used judiciously. It would rank behind delay and reverb in my book, and should be used much less often than either of those.
Having said that, I believe firmly that you can do any darn thing you want, unless you're trying to accurately reproduce a cover tune. If you like something alot, you tend to do it well. (see John Popper)
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jawbone60 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:59 am

the verdict is in. i'm gettin a foot switch!
jawbone60
Regular

Postby NEONMOONY » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:06 pm

I feel I have to use trem for a couple covers we do like "Down On The Bayou". Without it, you just don't get that same spooky "effect".
NEONMOONY
Regular

Postby lpdeluxe » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:31 am

An interesting question. I just got a Fender Excelsior, 13 watts, 2-6v6 power tubes, no reverb, tremolo and a 15" speaker. I love the vibe: my first amp was a '63 Silvertone 1484 that had the same, shall we say, minimalist architecture. Does any one else have any experience using this as a harp amp?
lpdeluxe
Regular

Return to Blues Harp