Acoustic Guitar Strings

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Acoustic Guitar Strings

Postby JLHooker » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:49 pm

I recently bought an Epiphone Masterbuilt acoustic.It is a good looking guitar with a real good sound and is well built. I have a problem with the strings though.They are 12's or 13's and are hard for me to fret.I'm used to 10's on my electrics.My question is ,would a set of acoustic 10's change the sound much? What about a set of DR Blues like I use on my electrics?
I'm old and I don't play slide.
JLHooker
Regular

Re: Acoustic Guitar Strings

Postby michaelm » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:36 pm

First thought: Strings are cheap. Try it and see what you think.

Second thought: As a general rule, on acoustics the lighter the string, the softer the sound. You might lose some volume and tone with lighter strings.
michaelm
Regular

Postby Jakeblues » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:57 pm

Part of it is how well is it set up? If the action is high, that might be half your battle.

As mentioned, the lighter gauge will give you a softer tone and lower volume. Yet another factor is that if the guitar is set up for 13's, the lighter tension of the 10's might have you fretting out.

You might try 11's, but something bright like John Pearse Phosphor Bronze might be a good choice.

I'll be curious how it works out.
Jakeblues
Regular

Postby kiwiblues » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:47 pm

I recently got a Masterbilt EF 500RA. Beautiful guitar with a lovely sound. I had one previously and always regretted selling it, so bought one of the seconds on Ebay as they are now out of production.
I reset the setup myself based on info on the net, lowered the action a little and got the neck relief just right and it plays easily.
I think it came with 12s and at the time I was teaching myself David Gilmour's acoustic version of Shine on you crazy diamond.
I have put on 11s for easier string bending and I haven't noticed any loss of sound.
kiwiblues
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues