Round or Flat Wound Strings On Electric Gits

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Round or Flat Wound Strings On Electric Gits

Postby Bant's Bluz » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:01 am

Back in the "day". before Viet Nam, etc, flat would strings were very common, at least in the circles I moved in. The question now are round wound a better choice than flat wound, in particular when intertwining both slide as well as fretting? I know it's a dumb question, but I about to put an order in for strings and figured a little research wouldn't be such a bad idea. For the record, I use either D'dadario 10's on my electrics and 13's on my resos. I have also used DR's on one of my electrics at the advice of my luthier.

I'd really appreciate some feed back.
Bant's Bluz
Regular

Re: Round or Flat Wound Strings On Electric Gits

Postby bottleneck » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:37 am

lots of guys around here do like flatwounds. i don't. i use 16-60 or at least 16 -56 (martin bluegrass reso)on all guitars whether they're acoustic or electric. generally i use nickle strings on most guitars,but bronze sometimes on my national.

www.shakeylee.com
bottleneck
Regular

Postby Buffalo_Bill » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:42 am

Don't be afraid to try them, for goodness sake.

I think flats will give you a mellower, muted sound. Not the ringy highs of round wound.
Buffalo_Bill
Regular

Postby NEONMOONY » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:28 am

Try 'em. I don't feel flats works as well for slide. I think everyone should experiment with them and they may have some preconceptions that are a little off. E.g. , I have them on a big, carved top Guild Archtop. mix in some overdrive and it can do some really nice electric blues stuff, although that's not the first rig someone would think of for electric blues.
NEONMOONY
Regular

Postby Bant's Bluz » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:11 pm

Thanks for the feedback Gentlemen. I'll give it some more thought/
Bant's Bluz
Regular

Postby goldbrick » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:29 pm

I use flat wounds on on a Gretsch historic thin line hollow body-sounds very full and 50's jump blues type sound- they are called chromes( the brand ) and seem to last forever except for the G that I break all the time and has been replaced with a plain 16
goldbrick
Regular

Postby Les R Forgue » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:58 pm

Me, I got flat wound on the lower pitched 3 of my solid body electirc, I originally chose them to eliminate the noise of sliding fingers on the strings.
They sound very dull, sometimes that is good and sometimes that is bad. Maybe it's not just that they are flat wound, maybe their age factors in to the dull voice. If I occasionally want a sharper sound I pick them right close to the bridge. I bought the strings many long years ago and have no memory of what their gauge is.
Les R Forgue
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:15 am

I have flats on one guitar, a thinline archtop. They sound and feel great, though I'm quite happy with rounds everywhere else.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby guitarslim101 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:50 am

I like flats on some guitars and can't stand them on others. I've had better luck with them on hollow bodies than I have on solid bodies, but I've set up a few Strats and Teles with flats for customers that sounded and played quite nicely, too. They're fun to play around with and definitely worth a shot if you haven't used them before. As others have said, they are a bit dull and very dry, but since they don't have many overtones, they typically aren't muddy. They can be surprisingly twangy if you mess around with how and where you pick the strings. I tend to prefer rounds, though, as I make a lot of use of finger noise when I play.
guitarslim101
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues