Guitar choices /pickups

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Guitar choices /pickups

Postby dulcimerbob » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:51 pm

I play in an acoustic/electric country blues duo . I use a little crunch sometime so I play a jazz box electric guitar two hb , I need an acoustic sound on a few tunes but don't want to carry anymore guitars as we play usually in cramped spaces and I use a reso too. Would P90s help give a warmer tone than the hbs for a semi acoustic sound ? All advice appreciated.
dulcimerbob
Regular

Re: Guitar choices /pickups

Postby NEONMOONY » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:14 pm

IMHO, YMMV, Good humbuckers, in something like a duo, are going to sound "thicker" under neath the other guy. P90's, especially in a large , loud rock group, will jump out and cut through the other instruments, sounding less muddy. I think a lot is going to depend on what the other guy is doing, musically.
NEONMOONY
Regular

Postby michaelm » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:23 pm

bob, if you are going to spend some money on tone shaping, I think that you'll get more mileage out of a multi-band EQ than changing pups. Danelectro has one for about $30 and they go on up from there. JMO, YMMV but I HTH. 8)
michaelm
Regular

Postby maxx england » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:04 pm

I'm with Michael, I go from chainsaw to near acoustic on my Strat by messing about with tones/amps. and some of it comes out of your hands as well. Do you use a pick? Try using fingers only, as an example. I use a lot more treble than other people as well, it's too easy to get the sound rich when you want it clear.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bottleneck » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:57 pm

although i generally do not like piezo electric pickups for guitar, a wood archtop bridge with a built in pickup might be just what you're looking for.maybe something like this

http://www.fishman.com/product/archtop-guitar-pickup

www.shakeylee.com
bottleneck
Regular

Postby dulcimerbob » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:14 pm

I installed a Gibson P-90 at the neck and am very pleased with the outcome. I run thru a Ist gen Pod into the board and can get great sounds from it . I highly recommend this set up.
dulcimerbob
Regular

Postby Dee » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:11 pm

P90s were my first thought while reading your post.

Secret hint: check out the Tonerider Rebel90 pickups (P90 style!). I've put them in my strat project guitar and they sound fantastic! Somewhere in between HB and SC. Nice clean tone and dirty crunch tone. I love'em even though they're a little heavy on the bass frequencies but I simply reduced bass on my amp to make good for that:

Dee
Regular

Return to Guitar