LONE WOLF HARP DELAY Pedal

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

LONE WOLF HARP DELAY Pedal

Postby jawbone60 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:06 pm

i just got one of these over the weekend and my first rehearse with it and the band was last night. it was very well received by the guys and i really dug the new depth and breadth of t0one it afforded my harp and even some vocals.
this delay is a dedicated item for harp frequencies and hi-z mic into tube amp. as such it is a "non-tone-sucking device_ like some other delays. it has a true bypass circuit which means when it's off all you hear is you mic and amp with no interference or signal loss.
when it's on is the true beauty though. there are 3 knobs which can be set over about 300 degrees. this thing can be set to optimize your sound on anything from a fast shuffle down to a sloe I-chord blues. the item came with a good handout and in addition i saw Ryan Hartt's video on youtube demonstrating how to work the thing, which was very informative and easy to follow.
Since i had a small windfall recently i made the decision to get something cool for my music endeavors. i debated getting a set of cheaper harps for practice but part of me said "no, you have good harps", i thought maybe another mic but that same part of me said "how many cool mics does one guy need?" i had blown harp through other guys' rigs using a boss delay in the last year and it sounded ok, but for about the same- or even less- money, i got a device dedicated to harp freq's, and it just seemed like the time to get one.
i make sure i have long enough cables so i can have it next to me even if my amp is 15 feet away, so i can tweak settings as needed with a minimum of fuss. and i got the hang of it in a short time. having a little cheat sheet of where the knobs want to be for a particular sound ie medium shuffle, slow blues, chorus effect etc etc, was a big help too.
tomorrow night is my first gig with the new delay. stay tuned for further developments!
jawbone60
Regular

Re: LONE WOLF HARP DELAY Pedal

Postby jeffl » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:01 pm

It's great to have good gear, ain't it? Especially when a relatively affordable piece of gear lays down a great foundation for your sound.
I have to confess that I've been using a cheap Dano BLT slap-echo for years- without ever changing the settings-- and I've been happy with it. I leave it on all the time, with the settings adjusted to the first levels of noticeability. In other words, I don't sync the repeats.
I have a bigger, heavier, digitech delay that's got the tap feature for repeats, but I never use it 'cuz it's heavy,big, and I'm a happily ignorant pig: I've given up the holy grail of enhancing my sound with gear, in favor of lightening my gear load. I guess my priorities have changed, so alotta gear never gets used any more.
If I sit in with a straight blues dance band, I'll dust some of those tools off.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jawbone60 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:26 am

i got some great results with a minimum of fuss last night on stage. i used about 3 fairly standard settings and each one had a unique and positive effect on how the harp and vocals sounded. we had a pro sound guy putting us through the house system and it sounded really great.
jawbone60
Regular

Postby jawbone60 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:34 am

a further update: the LW harp delay pedal has given me not one bit of problem and is still working like it did when new. we did a set yesterday at a benefit for a fellow musician and my sound almost scared me it was so big and good! one of these days i'll actually get something recorded. it's one of the best investments i have ever made for my sound.
jawbone60
Regular

Postby goldbrick » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:40 am

I use the dano slapback too- great cheap pedal
goldbrick
Regular

Postby jawbone60 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:08 pm

about the time i got the Lone Wolf a guy gave me a Danelectro Fab Echo, which is limited in what you can do with it yet it was an improvement as well. still, i have no regrets AT ALL with the LWHD.
jawbone60
Regular

Postby bottleneck » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:43 am

this will sound like a stupid question,but i don't use effects.

what is a delay for?

www.shakeylee.com
bottleneck
Regular

Postby jawbone60 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:11 pm

a delay in the signal produces a longer note and a fatter wetter sound. you've heard this kind of thing and not known it a lot of times. tremolo and reverb on an amp produce a similar effect, giving the sound an echo-y effect and making it sound more "live".
the Lone Wolf site has examples of their products' sound results i think.

believe me, i can do without the delay, but now my band mates expect it most times out. it does make for an attractive addition to one's sound.
jawbone60
Regular

Return to Blues Harp