Need to Make a Jack Plate, Recommendations

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Need to Make a Jack Plate, Recommendations

Postby Bant's Bluz » Wed May 16, 2012 11:34 pm

As stated in the title but could use opinions as to max thickness. The overall length I'll work out. Also recommendations as to what metal to use to avoid the corrosion of dissimiler metals, e.g., brass and aluminum. At the moment I can't recall the proper name for that event, but I really have been hit in the head a lot.

I know I could order one from StewMac, etc., but that takes the fun out of life.
Bant's Bluz
Regular

Re: Need to Make a Jack Plate, Recommendations

Postby Buffalo_Bill » Thu May 17, 2012 1:21 am

Actually it's not the dissimilarity, but the nobility differential to base metals, that causes galvanic corrosion.
The baser metal gives up ions to the more noble metal.

I used some Bronze plate I had around for some time. I've also used Copper.
Brass is 2/3 Copper and 1/3 Zinc, and so corrodes easy.

* Gold
* Silver
* Titanium
• Copper
• Iron
• Nickle
• Lead
• Zinc
Buffalo_Bill
Regular

Postby Bant's Bluz » Thu May 17, 2012 3:32 pm

Thanks BB, galvanic corrosion was the term I was searching for. Multiple head injuries coupled with the aging process can be a real pain.

The guitar I need to make a jack plate for is cut from a piece of heart pine that is roughly 300 years old. The original builder did an excellent job, but used pick guard material in that area. I'm not criticizing him, I didn't specify precisely what I wanted. The greater issue is I need to make the plate large enough to cover the existing screw holes as I don't want to fill these. If I fill them, I'll never get a good match with the rest of the wood.

I'm thinking of doing the plate in aluminum, but need to come to a decision regarding thickness. The hole for the jack itself will be 3/8" as this seems to be fairly standard. I have machine tools to do the job quickly, but I'm leaning toward making a template, then transferring it to the metal and doing the final profiling, hole locations, etc. by hand. I was taught filing by a German trained tool and die maker and one of the projects was to make a 4 x 4" square using nothing but a file and a machinist square. When I finally got it done and gave it to him for approval he said it looked good, but then directed me to reduce all dimensions by 50%, again using only a file and square.
Bant's Bluz
Regular

Postby maxx england » Thu May 17, 2012 6:21 pm

Best way, teaches you not just the skills, but gives you the mental strength to do stuff the hard way when it really is the only way.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bant's Bluz » Thu May 17, 2012 8:35 pm

maxx england wrote:Best way, teaches you not just the skills, but gives you the mental strength to do stuff the hard way when it really is the only way.

I couldn't agree more Maxx. Even thought I have machine tools, I tend to find myself doing things the hard way. The concentration and patience required, I tend to find soothing.
Bant's Bluz
Regular

Postby Buffalo_Bill » Thu May 17, 2012 11:10 pm

I do things the hard way, I dunno why?
I remember my high school art teacher liked to say, ”There goes Bill, always doing things the hard way.“
Buffalo_Bill
Regular

Postby guitarslim101 » Mon May 21, 2012 7:39 pm

That's how I build guitars, too. 4 out of 5 times, if I can shape something by hand, I do. Makes things a lot more enjoyable for me and gives me the results I need.

As for the material for the jack plate, I've used aluminum and brass before. The brass does corrode, but it looks damn cool when it does.
guitarslim101
Regular

Postby Bant's Bluz » Mon May 21, 2012 10:01 pm

Slim, I've done a lot of things with brass. My routine has been to apply a bit of lemmon juice which generally gives it a nice patina.
Bant's Bluz
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues