I'll Be Putting Some Miles on My Harps Next Week!

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

I'll Be Putting Some Miles on My Harps Next Week!

Postby jawbone60 » Wed May 09, 2012 11:41 am

Yep. that's right. Wednesday 5/16 Jolene and I will be doing a street busking thing in downtown Little Rock. Thursday 5/17 Bluesboy Jag will be at Afterthought in the Heights area of Little Rock, Friday the 18th I'm with Jag at Cornerstone Pub in North Little Rock, and Saturday 5/19 both Jolene and I and Jag and crew will be playing a set at a Band Together and Fight Hunger benefit in North Little Rock.

If you need to talk TO me that Sunday, go ahead. But I may not be able to answer! Typically a couple gigs in a row strain my vocal cords to hoarseness for a day or 2 afterwards.

I am very much looking forward to this upcoming gigfest!
jawbone60
Regular

Re: I'll Be Putting Some Miles on My Harps Next Week!

Postby jeffl » Fri May 11, 2012 4:51 pm

That sounds like alotta fun, jawbone! It's great to have opportunities to play, ain't it. I find it hard to do "back-to-backers" like I did when I was young ( I'm 60 now ). I've learned to pack lighter as I lose body strength... smaller amp, lighter fx pedal, etc.
Best wishes.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jawbone60 » Sat May 12, 2012 12:54 pm

i've gotten used to sitting and playing and singing. my amp is the small one, about 30#. what has gotten to me in recent gigs has been general muscle aches for a couple of days after. i tend to move around like a teenager even sitting down! at 57 my muscles tend to complain once the music endorphins wear off.

even with that, i'd much rather be playing out. the last 2 gigs have been really wild. very fulfilling. not that Jolene is any less fulfilling but this here is loud and distorted and on the edge. apples and oranges. with Jo things are much more tame and ordered.
i get the best of both worlds lately, Jo and i on the street or stage here and there, doing very soul satisfying songs. Jag and i and crew going crazy.
i am so lucky!
jawbone60
Regular

Postby jeffl » Sat May 12, 2012 8:15 pm

i've never gotten used to sitting when I play. I started playing keyboards back in the mid-60's when you played "combo organs" standing up, and I always feel like I play harp better standing-- easier to get the gut support. I find that my legs get tired after standing for 4 hours, even on carpet.
I've also come to grips with the fact that the older I get, the "punchier" music I like to play. I enjoy slow blues alot ( harp & guitar ), but I really love the band feel with multiple stringed instruments,keyboard, drums & bass.
My jam group only occasionally plays out now, but we punch it up every Tuesday nite and I just love working up our new tunes and the originals that guys are workin' on. You have to work a little harder to focus on your playing in that kind of "party" environment, but everybody seems to be on the same page in that respect.
I'd enjoy gigging more, but I'm not a fan of playing bars until 1 AM and getting home at 3AM. Picnics, parties, and earlier gigs are easier for me.
I'm really happy that you're in a good music groove right now. That's a totally priceless gift!
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jawbone60 » Mon May 14, 2012 3:13 am

i got into the sitting down thing as sort of a necessity. Jolene could not use a guitar strap or play standing up, so we got a couple of chairs and they became part of our gear as well as amps etc. now lately we have discovered a brace the guitar will mount in and sit on a mic stand so she can play standing up after all. maybe. we plan to try it out.

it's true, the air column is more available and easier to access when standing up. but since the guy i am currently working with- Bluesboy Jag- sits, i need to sit as well so we can effectively cue each other along with the bassist and drummer. we're new to each other and some material is new to some of us so cues are vital to get past the train wreck jam mentality and the results that happen with that.

i doubt i could stand for 4 hours these days! who knows, i may be trying that out before long as well. we have just one short rehearse left before the first show on thursday but i am not worried at all. it's more to get the bassist up to speed on a few particulars. we other 3 have done enough hours together to have some feel for what's coming.
jawbone60
Regular

Postby jeffl » Mon May 14, 2012 1:26 pm

I've got nothin' against sitting.. and for some genres I think it's more normal and expected. It seems like dance gigs can often be done standing, while other types are more flexible. It sounds like your run of gigs here will give you a chance to reflect on that because of the diversity of the gigs. I'd definitely try to save the legs with a schedule like that.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bottleneck » Mon May 14, 2012 3:05 pm

congratulations on such a full schedule!!! i love a schedule like that because then you are warmed up right at the beginning of each gig.

www.shakeylee.com
bottleneck
Regular

Postby jawbone60 » Wed May 16, 2012 11:48 am

so we have this big weekend coming up, plus another date the 26th, and 2 later in june. Jag is a booking dynamo!

we did first rehearsal with a fresh bassist last night and it went well. 2 of the 3 of us have jammed with the guy and he is intuitive and open to vetting by Jag and the drummer. i myself just go along however things get played unless there's a real issue like tuning or timing. in some things i have a real challenge to stay on top of a song, or conversely to know when to lay out or stay way back. some of this stuff is more of a 3 count than a 4 count which throws me off unless i'm paying close attention!

being as we're all 50 or older i think we'll be sitting most if not all of the time.

in a thread on another board someone was complaining about the guitarist having to switch guitars. Jag uses 3 guitars all tuned differently. he's god at a quick swap and the end result is that the set list is always nicely mixed up. this gets peoples' attention abd gets them dancing and drinking. and that's part of the idea!
jawbone60
Regular

Postby jeffl » Sat May 19, 2012 4:02 pm

So how's it goin', jbone? You still alive..?
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jawbone60 » Mon May 21, 2012 11:35 am

i came through nicely thanks! thursday night was something of a strain since we had problems with tweaking the p.a. for my voice for half the show. i finally resorted to using both the p.a. and my harp rig to sing through at the same time but still i did a little extra stressing there. friday we had a sound guy in a real bear of a room to get both stage and room sound to work right. the stage is in back and there is a huge open stairwell just in front and to one side. not enough baffling to absorb echoes there so it's a pain, but the sound guy we had valiantly struggled for most of the night. not sure how the tascam recorder did.
yesterday was pretty much a gem, if a bit warm at near 90. we did have a covered stage, pro sound, free bottled water, so things were nice. the set with Jolene was seamless. she played and sang beautifully and this is one of the first live sets she's done with the telecaster so that's big! later i was back on stage with Jag and the drummer- bass guy somehow was not aware we expected him but it worked out ok anyway. that was another good set and Jag will be posting clips probably next week.

i'm having a good time with these guys and this sort of material. it's not a note for note same every time deal, much more improv off some open tuned chords. lots of room there for the harp. what we do that i sing comes out very differently than the same songs when i sing them with Jolene, which keeps me on my toes but interested as well.

an aside, the 2 sets we did saturday- along with about 7 other acts- helped raise several THOUSAND dollars to feed homeless and working poor folks through a local food pantry. that feels good.
jawbone60
Regular

Return to Blues Harp