Guitar speaker opnions

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Guitar speaker opnions

Postby Jakeblues » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:52 pm

A dozen years I sold an all original Fender 75 combo amp. Naturally, I'm regretting that decision.

I just found an '80's Mesa 50 cal head. My plan was to built a 1-12 cabinet over the next few months. I'm not quite sure what to put in it for a speaker. A lot Mesas come with re-branded Eminence or Celestian speakers. I was always partial to Electro Voice, more because It could stay clean at higher volumes, if I wanted and I could get the distortion from the tubes, if that was the sound I was looking for. EV doesn't seem to be very popular as a guitar speaker these days. Any opinions on a speaker that might fill the bill?
Jakeblues
Regular

Re: Guitar speaker opnions

Postby leftyguitarman » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:45 pm

There's a ton of speaker choices these days. I've had nothing but good experiences with Eminence products, but I haven't really messed around with speakers a whole lot. Jenses get a lot of love on this forum and I think that most of them are fairly clean speakers.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Re: Guitar speaker opnions

Postby Jakeblues » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:07 am

I did wind up with a Jensen. I went a little overkill with a 10o speaker. I has a big ol' alnico magnet has sounds great.
Jakeblues
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues