Shure 545

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Shure 545

Postby Skwee » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:50 am

Hi there!!

I recently bought a Shure 545s. The ebay seller I bought it from says that it has been wired low impedance and he provided an 4 pin to 3 pin adapter. Obviously, I want to convert this mic to high impedance so I took it into my local music store to try to do this. The person working there told me I don't need to do anything to the mic itself, all I need is an XLR to 1/4 " cable. I did know I need this, but I thought I had to do something to the mic? Am I wrong or is the attendant at the store wrong?

Also, the attendant said that the cable I bought needed to be a 4 pin XLR. I thought that having the adapter solved this issue and saved me the trouble of having to look for the relatively rare and expensive 4 pin XLR to 1/4 " cable? Again, am I wrong or is the attendant?

Finally, I'd like to add that although I've been playing harp for a long time, I am still a relative novice in terms of mics/electronics, so please don't spare on any explanations!

Thank you so very much,
Skwee
Skwee
Regular

Re: Shure 545

Postby jawbone60 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:57 pm

i have the same mic. i got mine with a long cable, 4 pin, made by shure for this mic. ending in a 3 pin xlr, this cable mates the mic to a low z p.a. i also got another cable with it that has a barreal type gadget built on. it supposedly is an adapter that switches it from low to high z, and it terminates with a 1/4" jack. BUT it's so hot for my bassman i have usually used it in a p.a. instead. great vocal mic and can be a good low z harp mic as well depending on how the channel is set on a p.a. mine is the pistol grip version which is hard to hold. the threads where it mounts to a mic stand are very wallowed out as well so it's a challenge to put it in a mic stand as well.

i have seen a diagram on which wires inside the mic to change around to make it high z but it's been so long i have no idea where that info might be found. possibly jt30.com would be a good place to start a search. gregg heumann of blowsmeaway.com may have answers as well. he is a great mic builder and modifier. he shortens and makes other cool mods to stick mics. i hope to one day have him mod my 545 in fact, he can also put a bullet type head on a stick mic to make for easier holding and cupping.

you didn't mention what amp you're running. i run one of 2, either a medium size vintage silvertone 1482 for small and medium rooms or a replica custom built '59 bassman for big rooms or outdoors. both are tube all the way. my mics of choice are vintage bullet with vintage cm element, custom crystal mic, and a electrovoice dynamic mic modded to high z.

hope something i wrote here is a help!
Last edited by jawbone60 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
jawbone60
Regular

Postby Skwee » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:20 am

Thank you very much! Your insight was extremely helpful.

In answer to what amp I'm using, I have not yet been able to rustle up the funds needed for anything larger than my little Pignose 20. I'm currently saving up for a Bassman though.
Skwee
Regular

Postby colmanL » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:56 pm

look inside the place where the line plugs into the 545 mic. it has a small metal slot ,that is what changes the
hi-to- low ,or low-to-hi.all you need is a small screwdriver ,you push down on it and it will move from the place it was and then it has switched ,if your on low ,it changed to hi...easy enough :}
colmanL
Regular

Postby gheumann » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:51 am

Here's the deal. If you have an old 545 with 3 pin female socket, you can't change its impedance with just the cable. If you have with a 4-pin female socket - AND you have a properly wired cable, you can have a cable for high and a cable for low. If you have a newer one with 3-pin XLR, you must remove the connector from the mic, and move a jumper to make Pin 3 have either the high impedance (white wire) or low impedance (red wire) signal. For low impedance XLR, the signal is on pins 2 and 3, and the ground on Pin 1 is not part of the signal path. This is standard worldwide for low-Z XLR wiring. For high impedance, the signal is on Pin 3 and Pin 1=ground. Europe/Asia high-Z cables (XLT to 1/4" are more commonly "Pin 2 Hot" so if you need that you swap whats on Pins 2 and 3.
gheumann
Regular

Return to Blues Harp