Did I get a bad harp?

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Did I get a bad harp?

Postby Zebrabars » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:42 pm

I recently purchased a Hohner 560-BL Special 20 Key of C, Vintage BluesBand Blister Pack for just under 30 dollars. It's made in china and that concerns me because i'm just beggining. It came with a carboard case instead of the wood. Is this specific harmonica cheaper than the other one made in Germany?
Zebrabars
Regular

Re: Did I get a bad harp?

Postby jawbone60 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:15 am

it's been a long time since i actually bought a sp20. how does it play is the real question. i know you are new since you said so, but a good way to check this harp is to gently blow and draw on all 10 holes and see if they all sound out. only as much air as it takes to get a note is good.
not everything made in china is crap, just a lot of it!
jawbone60
Regular

Re: Did I get a bad harp?

Postby Zebrabars » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:41 pm

They all blow out and it's tight, but the 1 and 10 holes are harder to get sound through without getting the sound of just blowing air, I don't know if there's a technique that helps with that or if it's the harp. It's metal and has plastic reeds, I just think I spent too much on it seeing as how newer models of the Blues Band sell for around 5 or 6 bucks. This one was packaged in "Madcat Ruth" packaging so idk if that makes it vintage, thus the price being so high.
Zebrabars
Regular

Return to Blues Harp