Need A Bit Of Help: Mic Stands

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Need A Bit Of Help: Mic Stands

Postby Bant's Bluz » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:25 pm

I am looking for a mic stand to place in front of my amp and connect to my PA system. I could have sworn I saw a low cost stand that just sat on the floor and held the mic. I've done a Google search and have not had any luck finding what I think I once saw. Any input is appreciated, but I need to keep this on the cheap after my PA purchase that caused SWMBO to blow a couple of gaskets.
Bant's Bluz
Regular

Re: Need A Bit Of Help: Mic Stands

Postby michaelm » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:22 pm

michaelm
Regular

Postby DaveG » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:11 am

Are you looking for something like this?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessor ... 7000001000

Musicians Friend has several types like this.
DaveG
Regular

Postby maxx england » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:46 am

The first one of those would be preferable if you leave the house to play. I have a cast base stand, and the actual casting lives in a cupboard. Deep in it. Where its mass warps local gravity. I run the tube part into one end of a flat piece of plastic and wedge or tape the other end to whatever amp I'm dealing wth.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bant's Bluz » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:23 pm

Thanks Folks! I completely missed those, but that's what I had in mind.
Bant's Bluz
Regular

Postby Bant's Bluz » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:12 pm

Maxx, could you post a pic of that mic set up you mentioned?
Bant's Bluz
Regular

Postby maxx england » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:46 pm

Er, no, but it's simple enough. Take a piece of some rigid plastic about a foot long and 4" wide, I use the cap section of some cable trunking. Cut a hole in one end to take the short stub of mic stand. Then find two thin nuts of the right thread to lock into place. Almost guaranteed to fit all amps. Almost.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bant's Bluz » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:33 am

Thanks Maxx. I'm what they call a visual person and often times have trouble picturing an idea when just reading about it.
Bant's Bluz
Regular

Postby maxx england » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:55 pm

I'm what they call an ignorant Luddite with the technology surrounding confusers and putting pictures on them. Also the camera is hiding somewhere. Might be hibernating or nesting or something.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Jakeblues » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:36 pm

Musician's friend and other carry a threaded flange that you screw into your amp or speaker cabinet and can mount a goose-neck to. (I have one mounted on my desk).
Jakeblues
Regular

Postby Bant's Bluz » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:41 pm

Well Folks, my neighbor gave me a desk top mic holder that his Father had for his Hamm Radio set up. Works great. I just had brass plate made up with the "In Memory of" sort of thing. I was humbled that a man would give me something of his deceased Father's. Such acts are Big Medicine to me.
Bant's Bluz
Regular

Postby jeffl » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:59 pm

I finally broke down and bought a Sennheiser e609 "popsicle" mic that just hangs over the front of amps. The reviews were good & it's performed admirably at any volume. It saves screwin' around with mic holders and it weighs almost nothin'. I had been usin' a little floor stand built for the purpose, but even those things have a footprint on stage, and they're one more thing to haul. But, that was a $120.00 (u.s.) solution.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby maxx england » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:25 pm

I've used a triangulated harness of gaffer tape in the past. Looks dreadful and it's a cow to remove all of the sticky.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bottleneck » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:08 pm

Bant's Bluz wrote:Well Folks, my neighbor gave me a desk top mic holder that his Father had for his Hamm Radio set up. Works great. I just had brass plate made up with the "In Memory of" sort of thing. I was humbled that a man would give me something of his deceased Father's. Such acts are Big Medicine to me.

i have always favored desk top stands for this application.mice touch that yours actually has a significant meaning

www.shakeylee.com
bottleneck
Regular

Postby panhead201 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:04 am

Nice move about the brass plaque.Most people don't seem to care much anymore.I used to,still do actually,use a piece of pvc about two foot long,run the cable through it and let the mic hang.I'd stick the pipe under the amp handle,you could slide it in or out,swing it side to side.Did'nt pick up any floor vibrations.I had the kind that c-clamped to your amp. was always scared to tighten them enough,Took the insoles out of a pair of sneakers to put between the clamp.I don't know where you livr,GC,s got em without a boom.Cheap,too.I use one to mic a 4-10 cab.Reading this back,it sounds like the biggest redneck setup on the planet.But it works.
panhead201
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues