Mexico Blues

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

Mexico Blues

Postby sadea_jn13 » Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:06 am

I was wondering something, and I think (hope) some of ya'll can help me here. .. I was considering going to Mexico, for some reasons. .but blues is just my entire life,and essence. .I cannot be me without my blues.
And so, are there any clubs in Mexico that I could play at?
Maybe in Aguascalientes. .? I've been invited down there I was just wondering how the blues scene is down there. .I don't really know, never been there.. Can someone please give me some info here on the blues scene in Mexico.. I know it sounds funny a bit,but there has to be something or other there..

'i groove to the ancient melodies,of my foremothers,and their eternal lovers.''
sadea_jn13
Regular

RE: Mexico Blues

Postby lorilu » Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:00 am

Hey Sadea,

I don't know about that. I wouldn't think that would be the best place for playing in clubs. They really like to dance over there. But it would depend on who you were playing to. I would just like to go to Mexico and hang out. I know people who play on cruises all over the place. Maybe someone else around here would know. Well, good luck to ya.
lorilu
Regular

Postby fat paul » Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:32 am

I live just north of Mexico in sunny New Mexico. The blues scene has kinda died within the last five years. We have lost some very good musicians to other states and some have droped out due to lack of work. We still have some great bands and solo acts, just not a lot of clubs that book straight up blues. WE do have a few clubs whose owners try very hard to keep the blues alive (props to kathy at Golden west/El Rey.) I cant help but beleve that the scene south of the border is going to be even worse. Sorry if all of this bums you out, but it is the truth
fat paul<><
fat paul
Regular

Postby watertore » Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:55 am

I use to play clubs in san antonio, where the only english speakers were me and my band. The Mexican people love the blues. They were some of my best gigs. Los Padrinos was the tops. 3 sisters owned the club. They cooked us dinner every time we played, and the club was wall to wall- spanish. It was next to the catholic church, and the padre use to come in around midnight, and ask us to turn down a bit, and reminded everyone(on the mic) to come to church on sunday. He would then drink some beer with everyone till closing. Once a guy had some really wild sterling tips and heels on his boots. I admired them, and he immediately took out a buck knife, pryed them off his boots and put them on mine.

My wife and I took in a poor undocumented Mexican girl here in santa rosa. SHe lived with us 3 years, and has been in our life for 10. Her family is right from Mexico, and they love to throw parties. That was part of why she ended up with us (another story). Anyway, they would have 4-5 huge parties a month, and I would play to 1-200 partying hard spanish only Mexicans. They loved it. I would love to go to Mexico someday and play. Long John Hunter made his fame playing the Mexican bars south of the border.

The Mexican people are great. They love social get toghethers and music. I say go for it. Walter
PS: My longtime bassist, speedy sparks played for years with doug sahm, and the texas tornadoes. Freddy Fender was in that group. Freddy loved to play the blues, and he is smoking hot at it. Another friend, Flaco Jimmeniz and Estabon Jordon (2 wild accordian players) also love to play the blues. The Mexican blues factor is widely unknown to the gringo world.
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:44 am

Hey, I like Freddie Fender's music!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby songdog » Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:14 pm

>I live just north of Mexico in sunny New Mexico. The blues
>scene has kinda died within the last five years.

Hey Paul - I feel for you!

I lived in New Mexico in the late '80s. The music scene wasn't too bad then ( I went to lots of jazz and blues shows). I go back two or three times a year for a visit and the nightlife seems kinda dead for all music. Nothing but shitkicker music playing in the Taos bars... I guess they're catering mostly to the tourists (not that there's anything wrong with that). Ditto for the trendy Santa Fe (which is really surprising). I haven't spent much time in Alubuerque recently so I don't know what's going on there. I guess you guys have a handful of summertime blues festivals each year. But it is surprising that you don't have more blues music considering your neighbors in Colorado and Arizona have some decent activity.

Hang in there
songdog
Contributor
Contributor

Postby fat paul » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:20 am

HI Walter, you have a good point, There are a lot of hispanic blues fans and musicians. Im just not sure what has happened to the blues scene of late. Most of what gets booked as blues bands are SRV knock offs, some very talented kids but a little frantic for me. oh well enough cryin in my beer. I think I'll go play my baby bass
fat paul
fat paul
Regular

Postby fat paul » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:23 am

Songdog. I love your state. Denver and Durango are some of the best places to hang out when Albuquerque gets old.
fat paul
fat paul
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:53 am

Durango and Silverton are awesome towns!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby songdog » Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:28 am

>Durango and Silverton are awesome towns!

Yes I agree, the Silverton, Durango, Telluride, Ouray, area is the prettiest part of Colorado. You can't go wrong cross'n the border, a little to the southeast, into Chama, New Mexico and on over into the Costillo area too.

Damn... Summer can't get here too quickly. Throw my git, harp and fishin pole into the back of the truck and go chase some trout!
songdog
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lorilu » Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:52 am

I was telling a friend about this topic Sadea brought up and he said yeah there's blues bars in Mexico. He said one in Mazatlan for sure. I am not sure when the last time he was there, forgot to ask.
lorilu
Regular

Postby sennor blues » Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:43 pm

Well Sadea I can give you a first hand account of Blues life only in Mexico City (being a native), if you made it as far as here i can recommend you to some clubs (not many of 'em anyway) or even give you a link to the Mexican Blues Asociation (Recently formed) maybe them could give ya more info about blues in the country... In regard of the Blues scene here in Mexico i must say it's kind of marginal, the only ones who cares for playing real blues are old folks with some sorta "classic rock" complex, or people who thinks that hearing or playin' blues is a "bohemian" intellectual thing to do (like jazz) but otherwise they don't give a s"#° bout the genre, personaly i think both aprouches suck...
an if you think im pissed about this, hell i am!!!
altought there is some people worth listening to, people who don't follow the trends mentioned above...

wow i kinda vent it all up there, didn't i?

Saludos
Señor Blues
sennor blues
Regular

Postby lorilu » Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:15 am

Hola Senor y bienvenido! Hey i have a few friends here from Mexico City and they are some serious dancers. Chilangos, si? My daughter's good friend's birthday cake had written on it "Chilanga". My girl loves the spanish hip hop it's pretty cool. The kids are so nice. They want me to go out dancing with them. I can't wait to travel in Mexico. I have met a lot of people while working who have told me about their towns like Colima, Jalisco and other places. I just need to continue learning spanish. Such nice and good people.

Glad to hear people express real feelings. I think music is going through a lot of changes right now but people like the blues. It will survive. there are a lot of young people on this site if they don't run off that are into the blues. Sadea's bringing the blues to Mexico.
lorilu
Regular

Postby sennor blues » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:01 pm

Hi Lorilu and thanks for the things you say about my country and my people, and yes you are right most people here care the most for danceable music and such stuff (like "reggaetón" wich you mentioned), and don't get me wrong we have some beautiful traditional music and a lot of other modern genres going on here, wich is great cuz i don't mean mexican people stop creating original music and start listenin to blues music, what annoyes me is that people here more than often misjudge the music, when you tell'em blues they inmediately get the picture of a big band, jazz styled, playing BORING music, or some guitar god playin' VERY DERPESSIVE music... and the worst is that some of the local "bluesplayers" capitalize on this wrong image in wich (as they say) blues has to be eminently sad and slow and depressive and antique sounding to be blues...

Anyway, Si alguna vez deseas venir a nuestro país serás siempre bienvenida...

Saludos
Señor Blues,
desde Chilangolandia
sennor blues
Regular

Postby lorilu » Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:38 pm

Senor Blues,

Muchas gracias for your kind invitation. I will travel to Mexico and would love to visit. I do need to work on my spanish - one summer semester at the community college was not enough! My teacher was from El Salvador and almost all the students were already spanish speakers so I learned a lot! Many of my friends are spanish speakers and I have been to parties and when we go out where mostly spanish is spoken. A lot of spanglish. Most of my daughter's friends are spanish speakers and like I said, really good kids. I think Mexico would just be the most awesome place to travel.

I am sure you can enlighten Mexico City to the blues you like. I bet there are people there who would love it. Once it starts there it's gonna spread. Hey, post more often, muchacho!!! It is so interesting to hear about what's going on in other places.
lorilu
Regular

Next

Return to Talking Blues