Beginner software for recording

The place for questions, answers, and tips for recording your music. This can be home recording or studio recording. This subject seems to come up on several other forums so we're giving it a home here.

Beginner software for recording

Postby hollywoodmark » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:16 pm

Hi, guys. I'd like to start doing some basic recording, overdubbing, etc. and wondered what's a good, simple software program for doing so. I have a PC, not a Mac. Also, I'll need a microphone.

Any suggestions or tips? Thanks.
hollywoodmark
Regular

Location: South Florida, where the 'gators are hungry and the blues are hot

Re: Beginner software for recording

Postby DonnyK » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:25 pm

I've not used it for recording (I use Cubase - which is expensive), but try "Audacity" it's free and I've used it for editing some music on my comp and it seems ok
DonnyK
Regular

audacity

Postby michaelm » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:28 pm

audacity -- it's available for Linux, Mac and MS Windoze.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

I've used it off and on for over five years now and it's done all that I've needed: record, overdub, edit, etc.

Mostly I hooked up mics and instruments to a mixer and ran the mixer Line-Out to Line-In on the computer's sound card. I never could get good quality sound out of a mic directly to the sound card. With any luck, I think that you should be able to find a couple of cheap mics and a small mixer for $100, round numbers. You might also want to look into the USB mics, but I've had no experience with them.

These days I use a Tascam DR-07 for recording and then audacity to clean up the sound files. HTH.
michaelm
Regular

Re: Beginner software for recording

Postby hollywoodmark » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:03 pm

I downloaded Audacity, bought a couple cheap mikes and proper cable converters, and am pretty happy with the result. I spent most of yesterday messing with it--just the basics. Managed to put together a four-track recording that sounded almost like I knew what I was doing:). I'm not ready for a mixer yet, but I'll file that info away for later. Thanks, guys.
hollywoodmark
Regular

Location: South Florida, where the 'gators are hungry and the blues are hot

Return to Recording