Alf Stokes RIP

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

Alf Stokes RIP

Postby maxx england » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:07 pm

Recently been rehearsing with a new band, everything clicked straight off, getting good and tight. Then Tuesday midday, call from the singer about the the bass player, Alf Stokes. He died that morning.

I didn't get a chance to get to know him well, but he was a happy, well balanced man to work with, known around the Birmingham UK blues player community. He was in his sixties and had ongoing health problems, but even so his death was still a shock so it's taken me a couple of days to get round to posting this.

I'm awaiting details about the funeral; oddly convenient in his case. He lived betwen a funeral director and the cemetery, and they're about 150-200 yds apart.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Alf Stokes RIP

Postby derek » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:13 pm

I couldn't believe it when I heard the news. Alf was one of the good guys. He really had a fine attitude on life and absolutely knew what was important and what wasn't. I played in a band with Alf for many years when he was based in Cheltenham, and after he moved up to Birmingham I continued to play acoustic duo gigs with him - and especially enjoyed Dylan nights at The Railway. They were good times. Great musician, wonderful friendly and generous human being. The world is a little bit emptier without Alf.

RIP old buddy.

Derek
derek
Regular

Postby maxx england » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:55 am

The funeral is at 12.15, Friday at Yardley Crematorium. Postcode for satnav is B25 8NA.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby derek » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:35 pm

Thanks for the PM, Maxx (can't reply privately as I haven't been registered long enough). I will be there.

Derek
derek
Regular

Return to Talking Blues