Started Grandson playing the Harp

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Started Grandson playing the Harp

Postby G McBride » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:07 pm

Had a great time last night playing the guitar with the grandson playing along on his harmonica. Keep in mind that this boy is only 2 1/2 years old but he was giving it all he had.

I expose him to musical instruments every time we have him over and he loves it. I play something and he tries to play it back. Slowly but surely he will become a musician.
G McBride
Regular

Re: Started Grandson playing the Harp

Postby jeffl » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:24 am

Congrats! I've tried gettin' my 3 yr. old grandson to play harp. He was gettin' it figured out when he was 2, but now he's decided he likes trying to play 'em upside down. :D I hope he's not dyslexic, 'cuz his dad was minor dyslexic.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jbone1 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:26 am

the kids, the kids......they are the future! when i have the chance i give a kid a harp. and who cares which way they play it-as long as they play it!
jbone1
Regular

Postby bottleneck » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:59 pm

sometimes i wish these posts had a like button :)
bottleneck
Regular

Postby G McBride » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:55 am

I have four grandsons and they have all been given Harmonicas, guitars, drums, Mics, amps and other musical equipment to start them along the path to music.

Oldest grandson played in the talent show at his HIgh School this year. His first time playing a guitar and singing in public. He did pretty good. I had a harp in my pocket and would have pulled it out and played along but he might have gotten in trouble with the directors of the event.

Teach those children to express themselves through music.
G McBride
Regular

Postby jeffl » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:04 pm

One of our guitar players has been mentoring & accompanying his 11 yr. old granddaughter since she was about 7. She's a singer/guitar player. She won state fair competitions from the very start and has done small gigs at outdoor festivals with older players.
She recently found a band to play with... at 11 yrs! I started playing in bands at 13 and I thought that was young!!! I've played with this girl also, and she already has a real sense for the music and when you're working on tunes with her you have no feeling of dealing with a child... she's just another musician who cares about the music. She also works the crowd well and is great at small stage banter.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dcblues » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:32 am

I had a harp in my pocket and would have pulled it out and played along but he might have gotten in trouble with the directors of the event.

That's usually not a good idea, even if you have the correct key. Behavior like that gives us harp players a bad reputation.
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby TC6969 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:48 pm

G McBride wrote: I had a harp in my pocket and would have pulled it out and played along but he might have gotten in trouble with the directors of the event, I would have looked like a total idiot and humiliated my Grandchild. (AND contributed to the bad reputation that harmonica players have)

Fixed it for you!
TC6969
Regular

Postby G McBride » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:41 pm

When did Harp players get a bad reputation?
G McBride
Regular

Postby TC6969 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:08 pm

G McBride wrote:When did Harp players get a bad reputation?

Well once upon a time, a bunch of people who lacked even the talent to rap or DJ discovered the second position and decided that one harp of every key, a little stupid suitcase to carry them in and a dipshit hat was all they needed to propel themselves to stardom. Practice be damned!

They proceeded to infiltrate every jam session in every town and since actually learning a real song would interfere with their posing and showing off their little suitcase full of every key known to man harps, they didnt bother with it!

They had no concept of proper key, tempo, chord progressions, counting to four or anything else resembling basic theory, so they decided to just play full bore all the way through the song with no regard to anyone else who was trying to sing, play a lead break or even a drum solo.

Yep! It IS possible to cram 6,000,000 notes into every measure!

Then, after their little horror show was over and they were FINALLY off the stage, 9 times out of 10, they would sit out in the audience and continue play along with the band with a big "Hey! Look at me!" grin while still disregarding ANY rules or protocols or even basic manners.

Somehow, the REAL players who had been playing for 30 or 40 years and actually knew how to play got lumped in with these cretins!
TC6969
Regular

Postby G McBride » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:03 pm

I think it may take a long time for players of many instruments to learn that it is sometimes the lack of notes that make the music.
G McBride
Regular

Postby jeffl » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:55 pm

There's still a bunch of terrible harp players out there showin' up at jams and open mics. Since harp players generally don't have to provide the main tune structure they are free to play shittily without gettin' scared off the stage. It can be the easiest job in a band. The guitar players are usually workin' their butts off all night long.
The other side of the coin is guys who can do everything on the instrument and spend the whole night tryin' to demonstrate that fact to everybody in the house... again without having real respect for the tune.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby TC6969 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:26 pm

Yep!

Theres a time to play, and theres a time to stand there and shake your ass and a lot of harp "owners" dont know the difference!

ONE well played note at the right time will say more than all the John Popper toodling in the World
TC6969
Regular

Return to Blues Harp