Bob dylan Harmonicabook

A place to post harmonica tabs separately from harmonica discussion so it doesn’t get lost in the messages. To make it easy to search we suggest starting a new thread for each song posted and include the song name in your title. We’ll be able to make a nice archive if we keep tab here and discussion on the other forums.

Re: Bob dylan Harmonicabook

Postby Reverend Mojo » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:41 am

I was at a Dylan show a few weeks ago. The crowd went nuts every time he went for the harp.
Reverend Mojo
Regular

Postby jeffl » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:14 pm

mike932 wrote:I was around in the sixties, loved Dylan, just didn't like his harp. Young and Petty play good harp. That's my opinion and I shall stick to it. My opinion is the only thing the IRS can't tax or take away from me. I play bass and harp at the same time, and like Dylan, I suck or blow or what ever. I know it isn't easy to do. This forum wouldn't be any good if we all agreed, if we did , it would be the lemming forum.
Nope, I've got no problem with your opinion...I just stated mine, and, let's face it, these things are somewhat subjective matters. I pretty much quit playin' racked harp many years ago 'cuz I was never happy with my results...plus I'm not that good of a piano player anyway and it takes all my focus to do it decently, without worryin' about what's goin' on with the harp. If I played guitar, maybe I'd look at it differently.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby NEONMOONY » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:05 pm

I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to work in a Ballad of a Thin Man qoute.
NEONMOONY
Regular

Postby Jersey Jack » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:22 pm

This is my first post here, and I've wandered into the perfect topic for me! :) As a vocalist and a middling acoustic guitarist I am always trying to add breaks into my songs. Since guitar leads are not easy for me, I'd like to incorporate some harp leads to break up the verse-chorus, verse-chorus, verse-chorus thing. I've always want to develop a technique like that of Bob, Neil, Bruce Springsteen, Steve Earle, etc .

Can I ask for a bit more detail about this style? It isn't just pick up the harp and blow, as I do exactly this and it doesn't (trust me!) sound like these guys. :oops: There IS some quality control here, but I can't quite get how it's done. I understand that there's usually no cross-harp in this style; the harp key matches the song key. But beyond this???

Best,
Jersey Jack
Jersey Jack
Regular

Postby jeffl » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:29 pm

Well JJ, to some extent it IS "pick up the harp and blow",lol! Of course there's draw notes/chords involved too. Much of it is straight harp blowin' on the dominant chord and then drawin' on the IV chord, and blowin' on the V. Most of the guys you mentioned play pretty simple I,IV,V music with some straying, so it's fairly easy to stick with 'em if you spend enough time jus' gettin' their drift. One of the little elements to their harp playin' is the slight bending on the draw chords and notes, which gives it the slightly trickier sound. I recommend just playin' harp along with some of their tunes...grab any old Dylan,Young, Petty, or Steve Earle CD, and forget about playin' guitar for those exercises. I bet you'll stumble onto it pretty fast. If you have a keyboard around the house, it may help you to identify any notes in the minor chords that get thrown in with those guys' tunes occasionally.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Jersey Jack » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:00 pm

Thanks, Jeff, that bit about drawing on the IV chord is useful. So on the I and V chords I should draw only on passing notes, vice versa for the IV chord? I was drawing and blowing almost indiscriminatley and I couldn't quite get my bearings. This should help.
Jersey Jack
Regular

Postby jeffl » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:52 pm

Jersey Jack wrote:Thanks, Jeff, that bit about drawing on the IV chord is useful. So on the I and V chords I should draw only on passing notes, vice versa for the IV chord? I was drawing and blowing almost indiscriminatley and I couldn't quite get my bearings. This should help.
Your reference to drawing only on passing notes is mostly right, just 'cuz of the way most tunes are constructed, but it sounds like you are getting it figured out. I have a little difficulty playing in straight harp or first position, primarily 'cuz I play about 98% in cross-harp, and prob'ly 2% in 1st or 3rd position, so I frequently have to remind myself what the little licks in 1st are. I probably don't play as well in 1st position as I did 35 years ago, sadly. Playing keyboards at my weekly jam has probably helped my 1st position playing, jus' 'cuz alotta the roles I fill on keyboard can be accomplished on both harp and boards.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Previous

Return to Harmonica Tabs