Bob dylan Harmonicabook

A place to post harmonica tabs separately from harmonica discussion so it doesn’t get lost in the messages. To make it easy to search we suggest starting a new thread for each song posted and include the song name in your title. We’ll be able to make a nice archive if we keep tab here and discussion on the other forums.

Bob dylan Harmonicabook

Postby stefanie » Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:41 pm

I bought myself a Bob Dylan harmonicabook..with Isbn 0-7119-5196-9
and I must say I think it's verry difficul to play..It's aranged to
play the tunes(no solos)but there are no words in it..So at the 3th line or something you loos track of the song so you start to make your own version out of it..Does anyone recognise this...Or am I the only one with this problem..If you ask me to give points for this book..I would say 6/10...Stefanie
stefanie

RE: Bob dylan Harmonicabook

Postby jeffl » Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:19 pm

Stefanie: Dylan plays alotta straight harp ( 1st postition ) on his tunes. If you can play by ear, you shouldn't need to worry about tabs or music notation with his stuff. Just listen to the tune, and play accompaniments by ear. He never plays harp breaks the same way twice on his tunes, jus' like he never plays tunes the same way twice. One time he'll hang onto a chord for 4 beats, and maybe the next time, he won't resolve it and will hang onto it for 8 beats. Listen to Neil Young, Tom Pettey, etc, and you'll get a good feel for that style. Have you ever purchased a harmonica instruction book or CD...? If you haven't, you can get beginning systems for around $10 (U.S.), and they're very helpful.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stefanie » Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:46 pm

Yeah...in a way I always play by ear..But I especialy bought the book becos I didn't always found the beginning of the song...Yeah..I have such a book..But for me it looks better to learn it face to face..
You know in my class we are with 6 women and 2 guys (we all where suprised and thought we'dd be the only woman there)But I'm gonna try to make a kind of class at my home and practise with the bunch..we really learn a lot from each other..One lady can do the trainwistle without thinkin' bout it...I only play tunes at the moment..I will be glad when it's thursday again so I can start again with the lessons and ask a lot of questions..Even when I feel that I'm a little stucked..I really enjoy it...But what you wrote bout the beats and things..You realy must play harmonica good and for a long time to hear such things I think...Stefanie
stefanie

Postby jeffl » Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:55 pm

I've played 35 years, but with practice and good training, you could be playing at my level in a few years. I didn't have the support and education that is available right here at Big Road.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stefanie » Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:27 am

I tell you...I'm gonna practise verry hard...
stefanie

Postby jeffl » Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:42 am

>I tell you...I'm gonna practise verry hard...
Stef: Bottleneck's reply on your other thread, about playin' everywhere, and takin' a harp with you was very good advice--very,very good advice. When I had about 2-3 years of playin' under my belt, I got to college, and started playin' harp everywhere. I'd sneak into the auditorium at night, when only the maintenance guys were around, and play in the good acoustic environments for as long as I could. And I especially loved tiled bathrooms, where the acoustics were real "live", and stairwells in dormitories, with cement walls and steps. I'd play during band breaks in bars, until I got kicked out. Just play everywhere all the time, and don't worry what people think- most of 'em will love it, and if they don't, no worries. Bottleneck's reply is worth re-reading.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stefanie » Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:24 am

Yeah in a way your right...I practised in the park already..But I need to know some more techniques to be more asured bout it...But I will keep it in mind..
stefanie

Postby mikey_c » Fri Apr 15, 2005 4:08 am

theirs a few at this site
http://www.harptabs.com/request.php
mikey_c
Regular

Postby bruneau » Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:49 pm

Hi Mikey,
I've got to thank you for that post.
Stefanie is my girlfriend but I see she doesn't come on this board no more. She just went to bed. I tell her tomorrow about your link.
Thanks!!!
bruneau
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stefanie » Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:09 pm

Yeah thanks honey for pointing me at this thread... And thanks mikey for the tabs I'll check it out....Stefanie
stefanie

Re: Bob dylan Harmonicabook

Postby too2tall » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:37 am

If you want to sound like Dylan then just blow into the harmonica in the same key as the song and there you go Bob Dylan. Seriously the guy is a great song writer but one horrible harmonica player.
too2tall
Regular

Postby mike932 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:04 pm

Thanks 2Tall, finally someone agrees with me, Dylan sucks on the harp. I am a Dylan fan, love his music, but I have never enjoyed his harp playing.
mike932
Regular

Postby jeffl » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:11 pm

Dylan doesn't suck, he BLOWS,lol! You guys that think he sucks are missin' his point, imo. You had to be around back in the 60's to know what he's up to with that harp. Dylan doesn't do anything by accident...he's just a straight harp player; that's all. If you listen to any of the popular guys who play racked in that style-- Tom Petty,Steve Earle, Neil Young,etc.-- they're all the same. It's the style, not the ability. Dylan has blown more harp than most of us will in 3 lifetimes; imo, he's better than you think.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby NEONMOONY » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:11 pm

Those guys suck so bad, they struck a chord with millions of people, sold millions of hit records, made millions of dollars. they have managed to become symbols, icons of Americana. I don't see any thing wrong with the harp in all along the Watchtower or Heart of Gold, even if it is simple. Maybe blues style harp isn't the be all, end all. Maybe "there's something goin' on here and you don't know what it is, do you Mr. Jones?"
NEONMOONY
Regular

Postby mike932 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:08 am

I was around in the sixties, loved Dylan, just didn't like his harp. Young and Petty play good harp. That's my opinion and I shall stick to it. My opinion is the only thing the IRS can't tax or take away from me. I play bass and harp at the same time, and like Dylan, I suck or blow or what ever. I know it isn't easy to do. This forum wouldn't be any good if we all agreed, if we did , it would be the lemming forum.
mike932
Regular

Next

Return to Harmonica Tabs