Your first blues solo

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Your first blues solo

Postby NoMoneyForCry » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:09 pm

Hi!
I'm a very beginner blues guitar player, and I've just finished to study my first blues solo.
The choice was a little bit hard, because most of the songs that I know was too difficult for my level.

Anyway I've learned Malted Milk, from unplugged, Eric Clapton.
I chose it because it's not too fast, seems easy ("seems", because I found the last part a little hard...) and because in this period I'm listening a lot of Eric Clapton.

What's your first blues solo?
Do you still remember it?
And why you chose that?

I'm just curious, but maybe I could get any idea for the next solo I'm gonna learn... :)

Thank you!
NoMoneyForCry
Regular

Re: Your first blues solo

Postby boxertwin » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:32 am

I take it you mean first Blues song, EC's version of Walkin Blues. Reason: not too difficult.
boxertwin
Regular

Postby NoMoneyForCry » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:58 am

Well, I mean solo because I can't play the whole song, I can play just the solo.

Because I suppose the first thing a guitar player wants to do is a nice solo... am I the only one? :)
NoMoneyForCry
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:13 pm

Yep. I started by learning the chords to a song - "House of the rising sun", by the way - and built from there.

My first solo will have been an improvised affair, based on a "box" format Blues scale. But I really mainly play improvised solos now as well - that's what I thought they were supposed to be. I still don't know any 'note for note' guitar solos - and I've been playing for around 30 years.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby rustyslide » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:26 am

I started learning whole songs too. First blues solo from a real blues or blues-rock song was probably Crossroads, Hidaway, or Mary Had A Little Lamb.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby ricbleu » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:29 am

rustyslide wrote:I started learning whole songs too. First blues solo from a real blues or blues-rock song was probably Crossroads, Hidaway, or Mary Had A Little Lamb.

Same kind of stuff for me - to NZ via the British blues boom and we copied from EC, Peter Green, Jeff Beck, then back to their sources: BB, Buddy etc. Then as Al says, it falls away as the amalgam of your own style forms. Now my playing is all improvised and while it's still rooted in the blues, there's north African in there as well, Middle East, Persia. It's a great freedom working towards the expression of your own musical worldview, though I don't think you ever come to a place which is fixed and final. :D Peace
ricbleu
Regular

Postby Jusatele » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:37 pm

Muddy waters

Same thing

melodic and not hard
Jusatele
Regular

Postby Les Again » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:01 pm

What's your first blues solo? Something of Lightning Hopkins 'Lonesome In Your Home'
Do you still remember it? Sort of.
And why you chose that? It was love at first hearing.
Les Again
Regular

Postby Lo-Fi » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:50 am

Hard to recall as I have to go back to around 1964. Back then I worked with a lady singer and harp player. I ain't really sure what was the first tune I ever threw a "solo" into but I am thinking it was House's "Death Letter Blues" or Bessie Smith's "Electric Chair Blues."

I still play both of those tunes today.
Lo-Fi
Regular

Postby Vikingnose » Wed May 11, 2011 1:02 pm

Hmm, After going through some life changing events I picked up playing the last 2 years, a serious slow go but would agree that knowing chords is first and foremost, THEN the Fret Board, I am still trying to get the fret board down, but with that being said, "Hey Joe" Hendrix and Roy Buchanan versions are a split but a lot of fun.

Basically the more my Bass playing brother in law and I play the better I get, he already is quite good.
House of the Rising Sun is a great tune,
we have been playing around with Muddy Waters, Hoochie, Coochie, Man/ and Mannish Boy, fairly easy but extremely fun.

My set up is an American Standard Strat and on order a I-35 Deluxe from Collings, these will feed my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 4 10 combo and 1 12 extension.

Later
Vikingnose
Regular

Postby guitarslim101 » Sun May 15, 2011 7:47 pm

Hmmm, can't remember my first blues solo specifically (possibly something by SRV), but I do remember the first rock guitar solo I learned. "You Shook My All Night Long" by AC/DC. Fairly easy, decently melodic, and introduced me to the wonders of the pentatonic scale. It's also the first solo a lot of my students have learned, too. Well, that or something by Nirvana.
guitarslim101
Regular

Postby crispy » Tue May 17, 2011 7:25 pm

Ive just started playing blues so ive learnt loads of little licks but im now trying to work through Eric Claptons version of Crossroads, im pulling my hair out trying to master the solo :blink: .........................this will be my first note for note solo so im determined to get it down!
crispy
Regular

Postby watertore » Wed May 18, 2011 4:13 pm

My first time playing onstage with a guitar was with the late cool papa. Papa heard I was fooling with the guitar at home and during a song, walked over to me, took the harp out of my hands and gave me his guitar (a early 60's 3 pu sg). He jumped off the stage, sat at his front table and cheered me on. This was in Eli's Mile High club in Oakland, Ca. It was one of the last real juke joints in the bay area. Up to that point all I knew was a few chords- ala jimmy reed. The band cut down to that beat and off I went up the neck a house on fire. I haven't stopped yet and still don't know a thing about theory. That night I let my ears tell my fingers where to go and still do it that way :D Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby s1120 » Thu May 19, 2011 5:07 pm

Well.... Im still real green....so I will tell you when I do. :D

Realy though... Ive messed around a little, but frankly Im not the type that copys note for note. I figure there is no way Im going to sound as good as Clapton, or the other guys do, so why try playing the same notes. I perfer putting my own, be it simplfied, stamp on it. I cant sound like good Clapton.... but I can strive to sound like a good me.
s1120
Regular

Postby jeffl » Fri May 20, 2011 4:15 pm

There's room for both copping and improvising. If you're playin' alone, like Walter & Dan, you can do anything you like. If you're giggin' with a band and it's a real blues crowd, it's nice to know any signature licks that may occur in a tune so you can give the people what they came for. That doesn't mean that you can't improvise right past some blues great's signature solo though... hell, you're the one playin' it and he's probably dead, so he can't object. :D

I play harp, and I tend to improvise, but I've always played by ear, even though I can read music and know some theory.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Next

Return to Guitar