Wah wah - Should I buy it?

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Wah wah - Should I buy it?

Postby NoMoneyForCry » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:30 am

Hi!
Few month ago I started taking blues guitar lessons.
Actually I can play the pentatonic scales not too slowly, about 200 bpm.

I do a lot of exercises and improvisation.

A friend of mine has just suggested me to buy a wahwah.

I'd like very much to play with it, but I think it's too early for my super-beginner level.

Do you think it could help me to improve my improvisation?
Should I buy it and learn to use it or should I wait until I have more experience?

Thank you!
NoMoneyForCry
Regular

Re: Wah wah - Should I buy it?

Postby zhyla » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:02 am

Effects pedals are mostly a (fun) waste of time when you're starting out. You're better off without them as long as you're not having trouble staying interested. A cheap tube amp, a guitar, and a cable are really all you need anyways.
zhyla
Site Admin

Postby michaelm » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:00 am

Sure, if you've got the bucks, I say go for it. Of course, what zhyla said is right on, too.

In my case, I've been playing for a long time and a few years ago I got the urge to fool around with effects. I don't really care for effects, but I got the urge. So what I did was I bought a DigiTech RP-80 which is a multi-effects box with a pedal. They don't make them anymore, but there are similar products out there for a hundred bucks or less. This thing will do wah and volume pedal, as well as reverb, amp modeling, phaser, etc. None of the effects are quite as good as a stand-alone pedal, but it satisfies the urge and then I can put the pedal back in the closet until the next time. HTH.
michaelm
Regular

Postby kiwiblues » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:23 am

I,ve had one for years and haven't used it much. Not much call for that sound these days. Also unlike other effects pedals I found that it takes more skill than you would suspect to use it and make it sound good.
kiwiblues
Regular

Postby NoMoneyForCry » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:46 am

michaelm wrote:Sure, if you've got the bucks, I say go for it. Of course, what zhyla said is right on, too.

In my case, I've been playing for a long time and a few years ago I got the urge to fool around with effects. I don't really care for effects, but I got the urge. So what I did was I bought a DigiTech RP-80 which is a multi-effects box with a pedal. They don't make them anymore, but there are similar products out there for a hundred bucks or less. This thing will do wah and volume pedal, as well as reverb, amp modeling, phaser, etc. None of the effects are quite as good as a stand-alone pedal, but it satisfies the urge and then I can put the pedal back in the closet until the next time. HTH.

I've got a lot of effect in my amp too, I've got a Roland Microcube, so I've already got the reverb, delay, phazer, flenger, etc.
But my friend says wahwah it's different because you can handle it with the pedal...

So, I've got the bucks, but I'm still thinking, because I don't want to bit off more than I could chew, you know what I mean? :)

Well, I think I should talk with my teacher, and if he says it's ok, I'll buy it.

Thank you all!
NoMoneyForCry
Regular

Postby s1120 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:25 pm

I would not say its too early to mess around with one a little.... As long as your not spending all your time messing with the Wah, and its taking away from normal pratice time. I got one for Christmas last year, and I dont use it much, but sometimes do when Im board, and just noodling around.
s1120
Regular

Postby jeffl » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:51 pm

If buying the pedal gets you a little more excited about playing, then I'd buy it, but I agree that you don't want to over-use it... especially when you're getting started. Some guys hate wah pedals, and some guys like 'em. They are fun to do play with and are probably worth the money just for the fun. If you're tight for money, I'd hold up until you see which effects pedals you really need.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby leftyguitarman » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:53 pm

My two cents are that you should get comfortable with your guitar and amp set up first, before buying effects. I played for about four years with my guitar straight in to the amp, except once in a while using some OD. Now that I've become a better, more accomplished guitar player, I'm starting to use effects, mainly because I'm writing more songs these days and I like the sound of having something else going on with the guitar. Of course, effects should be used sparingly IMO.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby NoMoneyForCry » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:56 pm

Finally my teacher give us the final response: I have to wait.
He said that when I feel that I need more, than I'm going to buy it.

And honestly now I think I need just a lot of practice. :)
NoMoneyForCry
Regular

Postby california1967 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:23 pm

I would agree with everyone one here - wait until you have a little more practice under your belt. Although I love my wah pedal I believe that they are best used when they are barely used at all. They are really great at accentuating notes, so your teacher was spot on about getting one when you feel you "need something more".
california1967
Regular

Return to Guitar