Please read and save your family grief

Nothin' to do with blues? The name says it all. You might try e-mail or Personal Message, but if those don't work for you, put it here, not in the blues forums above. Thanks!

Please read and save your family grief

Postby rockonpapa » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:29 am

Our son went into the hospital in Virginia on 03-22-2011 at age 42
(songle parent w/4 children), with what he thought was appendicitis. Hours later he was in a hepatic coma and on life support. He was unable at time of admittance to express his desires for the utilization of life support or the refusal of life support.

We are told that his liver is functioning at 1% and that he was NOT a candidate for a liver transplant.

Because of lack of any legal document indicating his desire NOT to be on life support, he is being denied the dignity of his known end of life experience wishes. Without a legal document, the words of his adult children, his mother and other family members mean nothing. Our son continues to suffer on life support against his wishes. Caught up now in the legal system in Virginia.

Please take time to have legal paperwork (usually only a notarized statement is needed – check your State) completed and placed in a known area. I will be carrying a copy in my wallet from now on.
Pleas pass this on. :cry:
rockonpapa
Regular

Re: Please read and save your family grief

Postby rustyslide » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:04 am

I read your post on the FDP when you posted it there (didn't know you were a BRB'er) and it broke my heart.

My thoughts are with your family.

Everyone should know what the laws are about this where they live (they're not all like the US). I know some jurisdictions allow you to indicate "do not resuscitate" on your driver's license if that is your wish.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby Bant's Bluz » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:04 pm

In the United States, many hospitals offer a "Living Will" free. All you have to do is fill it out and have, I believe, two witnesses sign it. I did mine some years back and my Bride has it on file. People often tend to not consider the inevitable, but regardless of age, it's on the play list at some point in time. When I retired from Federal Law Enforcement, my particular Agency had a retiree's association. I signed up and I receive their quarterly issue. I've yet to receive one that didn't have a former co-worker listed as having gone on to their reward.

Bottom line, get you stuff in order. Man knows neither the day or the time.
Bant's Bluz
Regular

Postby psylocke24 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:39 am

That was sad, I don't know what to say. My thoughts are with your family.
psylocke24
Regular

Postby rockonpapa » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:18 am

Thanks to everyone for all the thoughts and prayers.
After the local court appointed a Guardian ad Litem the ventulator was removed. My son lived several more days in a coma and passed last Monday. He was Buried in the Florance Mational Cemetary with full Millitary Honors.
rockonpapa
Regular

Return to Way off Topic