My New Recording King 991

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

My New Recording King 991

Postby BlindLemonPledge » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:34 pm

Hey all,

I am brand new to slide playing and this site , and resonator as well. I just bought a RK 991 all metal tricone, and I love it. I'm sure it will keep me happy for a long time.
I reckon I'm here just to learn techniques and tips on bottle neck. I have been playing acoustic guitar for 30+ years so I know a little bit about playing.

As of this writing I have a metal slide and it sounds pretty raw. I am contemplating making myself a glass bottleneck with a dremel tool and a bottle. Just have to find the best bottle for my finger. Gonna try copper too see how that sounds.

Song wise I'm gonna start slow with "I Can't Be Satisfied" and "Walking Blues". I have been checking You Tube and there is a bunch of free video to watch. Any other suggestions from members here will help. I went to another Resonator players site but it seems they pretty much are all Square Neck players. So I came here.

I love the blues from the 30's up to the present. Any suggestions of music will help too.

Thanks for readin'

BLP 8)
BlindLemonPledge
Regular

Re: My New Recording King 991

Postby Disciple » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:54 pm

Making a slide out of glass couldn't be easier.

I cut my first today using my Tile Saw. Diamond blade in a water bath, it literally cut the bottle neck off as easily as it cuts tile, perhaps even a little quicker.

The polishing is a bit of a deal, a dremel would definitely help there.

I learned a little something, the taper being narrow end at the base of your finger and wider end near the tip actually helps you maintain your grip if the tube fits a bit larger. If you get an ideal fit like I have with the Redhouse slide I purchased it doesn't matter a bout taper.

As far as learning to play goes, your on the right track watching You Tube clips. If you've been playing a long time your ability to hear musical patterns will make finding notes with the slide super easy, especially in open tunings. That part for me has only just started to work out, I've been playing for just a couple years and just lately I've begun to realize I can hear notes and patterns and then find them with just a little experimentation. Add in the images from You Tube and suddenly locating slide positions and spotting what strings are being played becomes awfully simple.

There is another thread asking similar questions here check it out.

All the Bukka White and early Muddy Waters slide is inspiring and relatively easy to follow. Also look for some Furry Lewis footage, simple stuff that you can play pretty quickly but with enough nuance and complexity to keep you interested.
Disciple
Regular

Postby gaucho » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:21 am

Go to You Tube and search Keni Lee Burgess. Great teacher with some free lessons and some lessons on DVD (for $10, dirt cheap!).
gaucho
Regular

Postby BlindLemonPledge » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:19 pm

Thanks for the info folks.

I will say what "looks" easy is pretty hard. Johnny Winter on "I Can't Be Satisfied" is flying all over the neck. No way I can catch him. However just aiming for the basic pattern is enough for now. The slide I'm using is a little clumsy, so I will make a change there. I was actually watching some of the Keni Lee vids. Very helpful.

Clean tone is probably my biggest hurdle. Since I have just started the tendencies I have are not prone to bottleneck playing. I need to re-think my chord hand position and move my thumb off the back of the neck. Hard to do after so many years of playing a certain way. But I will proceed.

BLP
BlindLemonPledge
Regular

Return to Guitar