WTB: Weiss... FOUND ONE

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

WTB: Weiss... FOUND ONE

Postby zissou intern » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:17 pm

I bought a beautiful little Lazy River weiss from 5_Iron. Great guitar from a great guy. I couldn't be happier.
Last edited by zissou intern on Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
zissou intern
Regular

Re: WTB: Weissenborn

Postby michaelm » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:18 am

Weissenborns turn up from time to time on the Classifieds at the Steel Guitar Forum:

http://www.steelguitarforum.com

Good luck in your search.
michaelm
Regular

Postby Freeman » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:53 pm

I am currently building two of them - one for a friend and one for myself (saw David Lindley last summer and got inspired). I've got some pretty nice koa for them, they will be bound in maple with rope rosettes. Traditional size based on the old plans, but the top will be braced a little lighter.

There are a lot of different options - some fairly affordable PacRim imports to some pretty nice vintage and customs. Here are a couple that Beard offers

https://www.beardguitars.com/Merchant2/ ... ry_Code=WB

There are also a number of builders at MIMF and OLF who build them - you could have a custom made.
Freeman
Regular

Postby zissou intern » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:44 pm

Michael, thanks for the heads up. I have been checking all the classifieds on all the forums. Nothing yet.

Freeman, I'd certainly like to see some pictures of the weissenborns as you build them. I am not interested in a Pac Rim weiss. My wife's Republic is great, but I don't think any of the Asian builders are making nice sounding hollownecks. Not yet. If Eastman were to build weissenborns, I'd be the first in line to buy one. I am holding out hope for a used Lazy River or Celtic Cross or something of that ilk.

Thanks for the interest and replies.

STILL LOOKING for a used WEISSENBORN.
zissou intern
Regular

Postby zhyla » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:57 pm

Can't help you with a weissy but is your username a The Life Aquatic reference?
zhyla
Site Admin

Postby 5_iron » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:49 pm

Hey there. I have a Lazy River weiss built by Rance. It's in very good condition (some minor pick scratches from my buddy strumming it). it's the real deal. I'm pretty much playing dobro and electric steel nowadays, so likely was planning to put it on ebay this summer. If you're interested send me an email and we can work something out. I'll look up what I paid for it...cant recall offhand but it wasn't cheap as I'm sure you know. I'll give you a good deal on it if it saves me from going through the ebay process. includes case. i can send pictures of course.

jamie_cav@yahoo.com

regards
5_iron
5_iron
Regular

Postby zissou intern » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:19 am

5_iron,
thanks for the reply. Email sent.

zhyla,
Yes it is. I have been unpaid for several years, but the work experience is an invaluable.
zissou intern
Regular

Postby jellyroll baker » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:59 am

Australia's Cole Clark guitars make some Weissenborn inspired models, for example: http://www.coleclarkguitars.com/product_violap.asp.

They have pretty good distribution. I believe most US dealers would be able to get them in for you.
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Re: WTB: Weiss... FOUND ONE

Postby Kowalski » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:58 am

The Violap is pretty hard to find nowadays. Found this shop here http://bediaz-music.de/product_info.php ... ucts_id=37

But this Vio seems to be a different one as the one on the Cole & Clark page. Different potis and so...
Kowalski
Regular

Return to Guitar