Diamond Ultimate Slide for trade...

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Diamond Ultimate Slide for trade...

Postby gaucho » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:24 pm

I have a beautiful, perfect condition Diamond Ultimate leaded glass slide (blue glass). It has a really sweet tone, but I prefer my Blue Diamond (also from Diamond slides) and just don't ever use it. I'd be willing to trade it for another Blue Diamond or a Red House (all from Diamond slides). The Ultimate is considerably more expensive (~ $42 verses ~$20) but I'd do an even trade if there's anyone out there interested. We can discuss sizes etc if there's interest. I have medium sized hands and it fits my pinky or ring finger.
gaucho
Regular

Re: Diamond Ultimate Slide for trade...

Postby Disciple » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:33 am

I've got a Redhouse by Diamond with a notch.

I'm a little disappointed as the notch was to relieve a callous building up at the bottom of my pinky from the Dunlop I was using.

Turns out the notched end of my slide won't fit my finger but turned around the thing fits. Being an actual bottle neck it's slightly tapered. The wide end fits but the notch is on the narrower end.

I'd trade it. I think it's 3/4" on the skinny end and 13/16" on the wider end if that works for you.

I'm thinking about cutting my own, its not really all that tough. It's the polishing step that I don't have equipment for.
Disciple
Regular

Postby diamond » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:00 am

Hi guys!

That's a shame the 'notch' didn't work out for your callous problem Disciple ~ it was a good try! Please remember, if any of our products don't work for anyone out there & they're in a perfectly re-sellable condition (no chunks of glass missing :lol: ) we'll always take them back here for exchange or a full refund.....demand for our glass slides & bars are currently outstripping incoming glass supplies :| !!!!

Slide On!

Ian. (D.B's)
diamond
Regular

Postby gaucho » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:13 pm

Ian's the man! He did this once before for me, completely unsolicited (I had also posted offering a trade). This one's different though. It's purely a matter of personal taste. The Ultimate I have is a work of art and I'd be using the heck out of it if I didn't have the Blue Diamond. For some reason, I love the tone the Blue Diamond gets with my particular reso and it kills me to see the Ultimate just sit!

Disciple, I'd be up for the trade if the dimensions work out for both of us. My Ultimate is 18mm where you put your finger in (I use my ring finger) and tapers out to 22mm at the other end. The overall length is 52mm. What is the overall length and what color is it? Can you do all your measurements in mm for me? I find it more precise and easier to get my head around!
gaucho
Regular

Postby michaelsegui » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:31 pm

Gaucho,
If the trade doesn't work out... let me know. I have a Mike Dowling but prefer the Ultimate.
Cheers,
Mike
michaelsegui
Regular

Postby gaucho » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:13 pm

What are the dimensions on the Dowling? It's green glass, right? Do the dims I listed one my ultimate work for you?
gaucho
Regular

Postby Disciple » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:26 pm

Just to be clear I'm in no way disappointed with the cut and quality of the Redhouse slide. If the notch were on the opposite end it would be absolutely perfect. I use it everyday and really like the sound. The comfort is great, no callous despite that the notch isn't in play. Turns out the notch isn't significant due to the thicker smoother wall of this slide.

I think the callous caused by the Dunlop slide was due to the thinner wall of the tube and the ability of it to get tighter against the joint at the base of my finger. It just caused pain so that is why I went for the notched Redhouse. Not to mention the tone of the Dunlop was thin and screechy :( compared to the buttery smooth sound of the Redhouse :wink: .

Gaucho my Redhouse is green and the dimensions are 18 mm at the narrow end, 22-23 mm at the wide end and 62mm in length.

I'm concerned that yours would be to small for my fat fingers as the Redhouse I have is pretty snug and it looks a smidge bigger in diameter that what you have.

Micheal looks like it's yours to negotiate for.

Thanks Ian, I'm quite happy :D with this slide. I'd only trade it for something like Gaucho is offering for the possible better sound. There are no comfort or use issues at all it just looks a little goofy (like anyone is actually looking :blink: )having the notch out there doing nothing but it has no affect whatever on playability. Thanks again.
Disciple
Regular

Postby michaelsegui » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:33 pm

I have to find a ruler.
michaelsegui
Regular

Postby michaelsegui » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:47 pm

Gaucho,

The specs of your ulitmate are pretty darn close to my "Lobster Thermidor" Ulitimate.

The Mike Dowling is the green Mateús Rosé bottle. \Mine has in ID of 18mm on one end and 22mm on the other. The total length is 49mm.

Let me know if that works for you.

Cheers,
Mike
michaelsegui
Regular

Postby gaucho » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:22 am

And the Dowling is about the same as my favored Blue Diamond. I'm game if you are and if you aren't happy with it I'll gladly trade you back. My e-mail is cphoto@gate.net . Send me your address via e-mail and I'll get it out to you. Sorry Disciple, I wasn't sure about the notch and I think mine was a bit small for you based on the dims of the one you are using.
gaucho
Regular

Postby Disciple » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:47 am

No worries I'm happy with the one I have, just a bit weird having a notched arrangement that I can't use but it doesn't change the quality of the sound.

Which is great.
Disciple
Regular

Return to Guitar