I need some enlightening on the bass blues

A forum devoted to the discussion of playing bass with the blues.

I need some enlightening on the bass blues

Postby bassmanwho » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:18 am

Hi, first of all im new to this site and found via google. long intro short, im 14 playing bass and i love it. I picked up the bass about 3 years ago and im in love with it. So heres my question.

Im having a english project on the blues. So being that i pllay bass i wanted to play some songs on my upright bass. I need a suggestion of songs. Ive picked out one modern which is the b flat blues by james abersold. Next i need one from the 70 around that time. Such as eric clapton and cream ya know? also i needed an early blues song from like bb king, muddy waters, buddy guy ect.. I need some good suggestions for good bass parts and some great sounding blues.

Thanks
bassmanwho
Regular

Re: I need some enlightening on the bass blues

Postby HeavyRockBassist » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:09 am

I'd recommend you start with Willie Dixon. Willie was probably the most prolific of all the Chicago bluesmen. He was house bassist for Chess Records, and he wrote many of Muddy Waters' and Howlin' Wolf's best songs. These guys actually fought over his songs. He was an upright player, like yourself. And, he was widely covered by bands like Cream, Zep, Stones, Doors, Hendrix, and others. Willie literally wrote the book on Chicago blues. Hope this helps. hrb
HeavyRockBassist
Regular

Return to Bass - Meet Me At The Bottom