Organ musicians

Tickle the ivories? Here's the place to talk about it.

Organ musicians

Postby Funkin' » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:06 pm

Hey guys,

This is a great and active looking forum, so I thought this would be the right place to ask my question(as well as participate in). Would anyone be kind enough to give me a list of blues musicians that played the organ as their main instrument?

Now, I'm not looking for jazz musicians that played the organ and that also played blues here and there. I already know about most(jack mcduff, john patton, jimmy smith, shirley scott, etc, etc, etc), and have a huge catalog of their music. I'm looking for actual blues musicians that played the organ. And preferably blues musicians that recorded quite a few albums that I can listen to.

Also, while I would like to find albums where a organ blues musician recorded as a leader, I would also really appreciate any recommendations on any albums that feature the an organ player as a sideman. One that comes to mind is Sunnyland Slim - Slim's Shout. It's a fantastic album, where Slim is playing piano and Robert Banks on the organ. I love it when album features both the organ and piano at the sametime. It's usually always a great time.

Well, thanks for any and all help. I will appreciate this.
Funkin'
Regular

Re: Organ musicians

Postby jeffl » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:41 pm

Welcome to the forum, Funkin'. Judging by the names you mentioned, I doubt that you're gonna find much of what you're looking for (re: organists as leaders) , but I wouldn't do any kind of a study of blues organists without taking a hard look at the works of Al Kooper. He was not only a major force in interpreting blues for modern pop music fans in the 60's and 70's, but he was/is a great producer,arranger, and bandleader as well.

You might also be able to learn something from the stylings of Greg Allman. Might take a look at Skip Mesquite's stuff from Tower of Power in the 70's too. I've stolen a ton of stuff from Ray Manzarek & the Doors too, but I tend to like blues/rock. That "crossover" stuff has gone over well with crowds and the other musicians anytime I toss it out there.

You could contact Doc Williamson via his website ( http://www.docwilliamson.com ). Doc did a long stretch playin' the clubs in New Orleans and he knows alot of the guys from down there. He'd be glad to hook you up; he's been very helpful to me.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby §treetslim » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:29 pm

Deacon Jones,bad ass hammond player for Freddy King and John Lee Hooker.
§treetslim
Regular

Postby Funkin' » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:34 pm

Thanks for the reply §treetslim. I really appreciate it and I'm going to look into him right now.

Thanks!

If any others have any recommendations then please don't hesitate to post.
Funkin'
Regular

Postby Funkin' » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:40 pm

Oops, somehow I didn't see your post jeffl. Thanks a lot for all that info!

Yeah, I figured there weren't too many blues musicians that were organ leaders. But I thought I would ask anyway just incase someone knows of an obscure but bad ass artist.

I'll definitely look into the names you suggested, and also ask Doc if he could give some recommendations. I absolutely love the NOLA blues sound(Fess', Dr. John, Booker, Touissaint, etc.), and if he played quite a while in the clubs down there then I'm sure he knows of a bunch of great musicians.

Thanks a ton to both of you. 8)
Funkin'
Regular

Postby jeffl » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:04 pm

Billy Preston was another of the old time blues/r&b/rock organ bandleaders.. from the 60's & 70's.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby old mojo » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:53 am

I've always liked the work of Reese Wynans http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reese_Wynans. He played with SRV and Double Trouble. Very tasty stuff.
old mojo
Regular

Postby Funkin' » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:28 am

Thank you very much, old mojo. I'll look into him. :)

I have another request for you guys. This time it's for blues piano. But the thing is, I'm looking for purely instrumental blues piano artists or albums. Nothing with vocals.

Can anyone provide any help with that request? Thanks.
Funkin'
Regular

Postby The Saint » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:33 pm

I don't see any mention of Garth Hudson from The Band. I really don't know if that group had 1 designated leader, but at one time Hudson was paid extra to instruct the other members. Their style of music covered a great sampling of contemporary music.
The Saint
Regular

Return to Piano, Organ, & Keyboard