Fatheadly ( Al Lerman )

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Fatheadly ( Al Lerman )

Postby julio1958 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:07 am

I saw these guys live in a small blues club in London Ont sat night, about 100 people, I've seen them live before, but I got to sit about 10 ft in front of Al the harp player, this guy has won major harp awards up here, he was simply amazing to watch up close, more technical tongue blocking than I could have ever imagined possible, go see them live if you can, or buy some of their music, he uses a 57 mic and a fender super reverb, amazing tone,I'm still in shock, and I've seen Calos del Junca too, but Al gave a new definitian to the word amazing.
julio1958
Regular

RE: Fatheadly ( Al Lerman )

Postby jeffl » Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:37 am

Thanks for the tip,Julio. You been good to have around here.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby julio1958 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:54 am

Thx jeff, if you only do one thing in your life, listen to this harp player..lol
julio1958
Regular

Postby bosco » Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:19 am

Thanks, Julio...I'll check him out as well. Bubba's right, your contributions are always timely and insightful.

The 57 is an unsual harp mic choice. Being more unidirectional than a 58 style ball mic, I can see where that would be handy. I've tried "stick" mics before and had trouble hanging on to and cupping with them...suppose you could get used to it for the sake of tone, though.

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mukluk » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:35 am

Hey there Bosco, I know what ya mean by having problems hanging on to stick mics. I love their tone but my hands get cramped trying to hang on to 'em. Check out this link http://youtube.com/watch?v=5JzLy1M_Eq0
to see what I did to remedy that problem with my SM57. Now I can play it for hours with no problem at all. Oh yeah, I saw Al and Fathead before, and he definitely is a Great harp player.

Chuck
mukluk
Regular

Postby julio1958 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:49 pm

Just a note, the bands actual name is Fathead. http://www.fathead.biz, And as for the 57 mic, I have 2 buddies local here, real good harpers, and they both use 57's, I'm kinda the oddball with my green bullit, I myself don't mind hangin onto to one, I open up my left ring and middle finger for wailling, kinda cumfy actually, more so than a bullit I think, but each to their own boys.
julio1958
Regular

Postby bosco » Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:19 pm

Chuck-

Good stuff there. I was thinking some kind of knob or rubber donut would be in order...the pinky ring is a great idea. That's some sweet tone you get with the ME 50. Is that just some distortion with a little delay? I'd like to get some tones like that without spending $300.00 on a "20 pedals in one" unit.

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mukluk » Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:35 am

Hey Bosco, just distortion in that clip(think it was called Rat distortion) Since then, I've had a chance to try lots of different settings, and WOW!, I can pretty much dial in any tone I hear on a CD. Yesterday I found a combo of Guvnor distortion, with a touch of Chorus and some Analog delay that was so cool. I'll make another clip and post it later on. The expression pedal used for volume is so handy as well. Can ya tell I'm liking this unit? Thanks for the comments on the ring idea as well as on the tone and if ya get a chance, try out one of these units at a brick and mortar store. Well, gotta get back to work now(shiftworker here), talk to ya soon.

Chuck
mukluk
Regular

Postby newguy » Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:47 pm

I heard the harp player from fathead on the saturday night blues program on 91.1 jazz fm (hamilton on) some time last spring i think. It was a pretty good program, he was playing stuff from his record collection and talked about how he got in the game and stuff. Besides his material, i learned of a few other good old time harp players i never knew about

mike
newguy
Regular

Return to Blues Harp