new/old topic

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

new/old topic

Postby Kuvash » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:00 pm

What do you consider the best fretboard radius for slide guitar,boh acoustic types and electric types.Anyone,please.

kuvash
Kuvash
Regular

Re: new/old topic

Postby s1120 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:18 pm

OK... so Im like a REAL newbee at slide, but the flatter fretboard of my LP is a LOT easer to play slide on then the curved fretboard of my strat. So Im going to vote the flater the better
s1120
Regular

Postby Neal » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:23 pm

I second that. There are slides that have a radius built in to make it easier to slide on a radius neck, but I have not found them to be useful. Others may though!

It also depends on your style, if you are playing a lot of single note runs, and very little triple note- quad note (there has to be a term for this that I'll slap my head when someone calls it) runs, it wouldn't matter a great deal. I play slide on pretty much anything that's a guitar, and they all seem to work well with a little practice.
Neal
Regular

Postby Kuvash » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:40 am

Thanks,that's kinda where I'm at.If I work at it...they all seem to work.

Neal,may I ask the wall thickness of the slide you are using?

kuvash
Kuvash
Regular

Postby Neal » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:47 am

I couldn't tell you. Use as heavy as you can control. I've used some chrome and some coricidin and some plexi that were shite, way too thin, but I have no idea what the thickness of the slides I prefer are. You could email Ian at Diamond Bottleneck, I like the Ultimate, he'd give you all pertinent dimensions. slides@diamondbottlenecks.com
Neal
Regular

Postby Kuvash » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:43 am

Thanks.
Kuvash
Regular

Postby kiwiblues » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:00 am

Now we're getting on to my favourite topic, where all the black magic resides, (and bullshit) SLIDES!!!
At the risk of being once again controversial I have to say that technique is far more important than what slide you use.
Cooder and Clapton could make a piece of tin foil wrapped around their finger sound good.
My favourite slide is an Eric Sardinas tapered brass slide made by Dunlop and bought at a very reasonable price on Ebay.
It feels relatively thin to me but sounds great and is easy to control.
I think the tapered slides work better on radiused fret boards to.
I also have two glass bottlenecks including a red Diamond slide and a cobalt blue one I also bought on Ebay cheap. My favourite of these two is the cheaper one although it doesn't slide so smoothly on the strings. Once again it does have a good taper though, which the Diamond doesn't.
I have a large Bronze bomber which is really thick and to heavy for my pinky to control.
Even when I do use it , it doesn't sound appreciably better than the thin brass Dunlop slide.

:roll:
Kuvash wrote:Thanks,that's kinda where I'm at.If I work at it...they all seem to work.

Neal,may I ask the wall thickness of the slide you are using?

kuvash
kiwiblues
Regular

Postby OldWailer » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:15 am

My favorite is a bottleneck I bought from Steve James at a guitar seminar--perfect length, my pinkie just barely reaches out the end--tapered of course. But I think that's just my favorite on odd numbered days of the week, and only when I'm playing mostly single or double stop stuff--when I go to an open tuning with the big chord slides, I reach for my Paloma or an old stovepipe heavy brass one and I don't even remember where I got it.

I've never had a guitar with enough radius to matter--they all slide fine if they have the right strings on. . .
OldWailer
Regular

Postby rodman » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:16 am

I have a tapered curved brass slide ,a straight mudslide , and a curved glass [wine bottle] slide . My favorite changes every week . All of my guitars have a slight radius , but it doesn't seem to make any difference . Especially since I went to heavier strings [big difference] . I think a guitar with a big radius would be harder to play , my PRS has the most of all my guitars but still works OK .I'd like to buy a diamond slide but can't decide whether to get straight or tapered .They are fairly expensive and I would like to make the right choice . Rodman
rodman
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:48 pm

Kuvash wrote:What do you consider the best fretboard radius for slide guitar,boh acoustic types and electric types.

Bigger (flatter) is easier— but purportedly, with a smaller (more curved) radius, you can isolate single strings without as much muting.

My acoustics are all 12" to 16", electrics are 7.25" to 12". I slide on them all. My preferences for slide guitars are more to do with cutaways and pickups more than the radius of the fretboard. I have straight and curved slides, and just grab an appropriate one for the guitar.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby Kuvash » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:31 am

Ok,one more question for '"rustyslide".Do you use a variety of different tunings with different guitars?
kuvash
Kuvash
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:56 am

Kuvash wrote:Do you use a variety of different tunings with different guitars?

On electric, open-E is it for slide 99% of the time, and I have one Les Paul in it almost permanently. The others stay mostly in standard (except when I don't have the aforementioned Les Paul and want to play slide).

On my flat-top acoustics, it's standard at home, though they too get open tunings in the absence of anything else - open D and open G. I will also experiment with other alternative tunings by times (drop-D, DADGAD, etc).

The single-cone reso is in open G or open D, and the 12 string tricone is in open-Db.

I don't slide in standard, I think it sounds bad.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby Neal » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:32 pm

rustyslide wrote:

and the 12 string tricone is in open-Db.

I don't slide in standard, I think it sounds bad.

12 string tricone? Tell me about that!! Pics? I'm on a 12 string reso kick. You rarely see them.
Neal
Regular

Postby zhyla » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:43 am

I think as you graduate from trying to slide on all 6 strings to playing a couple strings at a time the fretboard radius will become more meaningless.

If you're picking out a guitar I would go with something with some radius, whatever it is. It's just more versatile if you want to play without a slide on it later.
zhyla
Site Admin

Postby Kuvash » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:44 pm

I think that about nails it zhyla....not tryin' to slide 'em all.For me some radius is good....and I appreciated the "appropriate slide" for the particular guitar thought from rustyslide.Thanks.

kuvash
Kuvash
Regular

Next

Return to Guitar