Republic Tricone Resonator

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Republic Tricone Resonator

Postby Disciple » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:48 pm

Just picked it up (Republic Reso) yesterday at the Twelfth Fret in Toronto. Had them do a little set up work to bring the action closer to string height of my electric and so far tuned it to open G.

All I can say is holy f%#k batman, this thing is fun as hell. :D :D

I'm pretty green as guitarist goes but in open tuning with a slide and not much concern for the odd out of place twang (kind of feels like they belong) I'm having a blast playing this thing. It's dirty and yet crisp, loud but delicate and just plain cool sounding.

To quote Ray Wyllie Hubbard who also apparently owns a Republic Reso, "it's cooler n' hell"!!!! :wink: :wink:

I might learn to play yet.
Disciple
Regular

Re: Republic Tricone Resonator

Postby guitarslim101 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:25 pm

I'm very tempted to sell my biscuit cone resonator to pick up a Republic Tricone. Don't know if I'll be able to bring myself to do it, though, but I definitely can't bring myself to just buy one without thinning the herd down. I already have WAY too many guitars.

Glad you're liking it, though. Tricones are capable of playing a lot of different things. They have an incredible tonal and dynamic range based on where you play, how hard you play, fingerpicks vs bare fingers, etc. Plus you can bang on different parts of the body and get all sorts of cool, percussive sounds. And they look bloody awesome.
guitarslim101
Regular

Re: Republic Tricone Resonator

Postby macdaddy » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:40 pm

Congrat on the new axe :D

I was in Dallas a couple of months ago, so I stopped by Frank's shop. What a super guy...couldn't be any nicer or any better to deal with! I test drove every guitar on display, while he did a little tune up on my Miniolian. I was there over two hours and it seemed like 10 minutes.

I went there with the intention of buying a metal bodied biscuit. However, I walked out with an engraved tricone. The tricone rings like a bell and shines like a diamond in a goat's butt. I just couldn't resist it ... haven't put it down since.
macdaddy
Regular

Return to Guitar