? Left Octives Right?

Tickle the ivories? Here's the place to talk about it.

? Left Octives Right?

Postby The Saint » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:07 am

What do you play with the left hand, when you are playing octives with the right hand?
The Saint
Regular

Re: ? Left Octives Right?

Postby tinsmith » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:33 am

How about, the corresponding notes??

Is this a test?
tinsmith
Regular

Postby jeffl » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:18 pm

If you can benefit from some basic written instruction, accompanied by a CD, you may want to buy "Blues Piano" by Mark Harrison; it's offered by Hal Leonard Publishing and is one of a small series of Blues, Rock, and Jazz workbooks offered by Hal Leonard. It's a book that Doc Williamson ( Doc's an occasional contributor here.) turned me on to, and possibly still uses in his teaching. Harrison's book systematically takes you through left and right hand methods for various blues keyboard styles, and has tutelage on all the scales and modes, as well as building melody lines,etc. Harrison is a good teacher, and he's credible, with a performing background. When I'm shopping for books I always check for used books available online. You can save alotta money. Make sure it says that the CD is still with the book.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby The Saint » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:35 pm

I bought a pretty good 4 disk set with practice sheet music. The video instruction is very helpful and covers both right hand and left hand techniques and solid practice lessons on groves, rthymn and licks. Covers Floyd Cramer, New Orleans, Boogie along with 12 bar blues. I can occupy myself nicely improvising using 1-4-5 chords and then playing root-2-3-5-6 or play the chord arppegio. Getting a little stronger by the day.
The Saint
Regular

Postby jeffl » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:49 pm

Saint, if you're from the U.S. and you're studying good blues, gospel, and southern gospel keyboard licks, there's a guy who plays on the Gaither Family show who just kicks butt with his style. I don't even know the guy's name, but he's a helluva singer/songwriter too. He's got a little unorthordox style with his left hand, but he can play the heck outa that thang. I don't know what cable channel it's on, but it's definitely outa the south.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby The Saint » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:06 pm

Thanks Jeff, it looks like I can pick up The Gather Family on GAC network and I'll set the record to catch the next show in case I'm not "inhouse" at the time.
The Saint
Regular

Postby jeffl » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:35 pm

They've been usin' two piano players, and the guy that kills me is the one who appears to be totally blind.
The guy plays his bass lines by rollin' his index finger over his thumb, playin' the lower notes with the side of his thumb, and the higher notes with his index finger. He's definitely got a boogie woogie background. He's a heckuva tune-writer and singer too.

That Gaither stuff is over the top schmaltzy -- almost a caricature of itself-- but they got some talented beings and that Southern Gospel stuff is darn fine music. I've always incorporated Southern Gospel into my playlists. I've always done a Southern Gospel version of Rev. Gary Davis's "When I Die" and I schmaltz that baby up like a Sunday nite gospel song service.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Sharma » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:25 pm

Left hand shell voicings. Play root and seventh in the left hand as a default. Works fantastic under most chord voicings and can also be used when soloing. Alternatively, tenths if you have the reach, root and compound third. If your playing with a wand you can leave out the low end and have mid register chord voicings, usually rootless. Chord voicings that make use of fourth and fifth intervals sound real punch and funky with octaves in the right hand. Think 3rd, 7th, 9th, or 7th, 3rd, #5 etc..
Sharma
Regular

Postby The Saint » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:05 pm

I'm all over that Sharma. Lifting up that thumb anchor allows a lot of movement to 7ths, 9ths and 13ths.
The Saint
Regular

Return to Piano, Organ, & Keyboard