thoughts on this....

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

thoughts on this....

Postby hoboblues » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:33 am

I am a rather beginner player but can play some because I have played other instruments in the past. I have been playing older blues like Big Bill Broonzy and Mississippi John Hurt.

I have been contemplating buying a telecaster to fingerpick on and one of those Roland Cube Mini-Amps. I hope to busk one day so that made sense to me (a newby) and also I live in a condo.

Any thoughts on this? Are there other electric fingerpickers out there?
hoboblues
Regular

Re: thoughts on this....

Postby leftyguitarman » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:59 am

I mainly fingerpick on the electric. Most of my technique is (poorly) ripped off from Mark Knopfler. I've been GAS'ing for a Tele too, however I've never used those Roland amps. They're loved by many, so they can't be too bad. What line of Tele are you looking at? Have you tried out the Squier Classic Vibes? They are a great guitar for the money.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby hoboblues » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:23 pm

Thanks Lefty. It almost definitely will be a Squier Vibe guitar. I had a Squier standard Tele back in high school and loved it. The only semi-knock I had on it were the pick-ups/wiring which I imagine would be better in the Vibe series. So some sort of Squier Tele classic vibe for sure.

What I like about the Roland micro-cube is the "acoustic" simulation. I really liked the sound down at the music store. Had a nice "fingerpicking" sound.
hoboblues
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:37 pm

The pickups in the Classic Vibes are pretty decent pickups, as far as MIC pickups go. If you do some research, there's a lot of evidence to show that Fender is basically buying the pickups from Tonerider and putting them in the CV series.

Scope out the Strat-talk forum for more info. It's a good forum.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby zhyla » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:46 pm

You may want to consider a used MIM tele as well. I know there's a lot of variability in the Squier line but the Squier teles I've handled I didn't care for. I'm into cheap guitars (had a Squier strat that was awesome) but this was below my threshold. I think I paid $250 for a used MIM tele, not really much more than the Squier is new.

Regarding amps... you really ought to start out with something with a 10" or 12" speaker if you can. Get a tiny amp later when you need to hit the streets. A Valve Jr head into a cheap (or home-made) cab should do you just fine for a tele. And again, buy used.
zhyla
Site Admin

Postby hoboblues » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:26 am

Thanks Zhyla. I have considered a small tube amp but I really need something small. I don't want to be driving the neighbors and my wife crazy. I will also check out some MIM teles. If one falls in my lap, I won't pass it up if it is decent. I have seen some good low prices used as well. I am looking at spending about $350 on the guitar. Maybe another $150 on the amp.
hoboblues
Regular

Postby 1four5 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:47 am

I've got a MIA Tele that I bought used some years back on consignment at a local music store for $350. I play it through a Roland micro Cube RX wich I LOVE. That's the one with the drums. I'm a finger picker also, and play banjo and my Tele with metal fingerpicks. I had a squire, but didn't like the narrow neck.
1four5
Regular

Postby ricbleu » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:50 am

I have a Roland Microcube and I find it just perfect for home use as well as small scale gigs. All the bells and whistles are there and along with the supreme portability, the little fella puts out a lot of punch.

Lefty, what is it about Mark Knopfler's fingerstyle that you adopted? I play fingerstyle too but it just developed over the years without much thought. I'd be interested to hear how you worked out what Knopfler does. :D
ricbleu
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:11 am

ricbleu wrote:Lefty, what is it about Mark Knopfler's fingerstyle that you adopted? I play fingerstyle too but it just developed over the years without much thought. I'd be interested to hear how you worked out what Knopfler does. :D

Just a few years of constantly listening to him and countless hours watching footage of him playing got me learning some of his licks. It's mainly just using my thump for alternating bass and my index and middle fingers for picking while the other two rest on the guitar. I can kind of mimic his very odd strum patterns as well. Watch any clips of him and watch his picking hand while he sings. He does a weird pluck with the thumb and then a downstroke with the back of his fingers and nails which kind of mute and... stacatto( :?: ) the notes. I can play a lot faster using my bare fingers than when I'm using a pick, which is why I like it.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby hoboblues » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:39 am

It's good to hear some positive feedback for the micro-cube. There is one with drums?

I don't think a thin neck would deter me. I have always liked the feel of the Squier guitars. In the end it will come down to whether the electronics are up to snuff and cost and availability between it and the MIM.
hoboblues
Regular

Postby 1four5 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:04 pm

Here's the cube with drums. I've also played small gigs with it, with power to spare.
http://www.rolandus.com/products/produc ... ductId=939
1four5
Regular

Postby ricbleu » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:55 am

Thanks, lefty. I've never seen much of MK but I'll check it out. Jeff Beck is another one who's thrown away the picks, but I've never studied his RH style either. Always lots to learn. Thanks for the tip. :D
ricbleu
Regular

Postby guitarslim101 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:43 pm

Those cubes are very decent little amps. Seasick Steve uses one of the models, and he gets some pretty nice tone out of it.

As for fingerpicking on teles, my main guitar lately is my parted together BastardCaster, which is a mahogany thinline style body with a bigsby, squier tele bridge, GFS P-90 in the bridge and Seymour Duncan Antiquity Firebird pickup in the neck. I almost exclusively fingerpick on it and it's great. The nice thing about teles is you can get a very wide range of sounds out of it, but it always retains enough clarity for fingerpicking, even when you get into some complex chords and all that jazz (pun intended).

And the Classic Vibe Teles are very nice, especially the Custom with the cream binding. The pickups are pretty damn good for a $300 guitar.
guitarslim101
Regular

Postby Slacker G » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:58 pm

I threw away picks years ago for the most part. I have a Telecaster, and I like it, but I usually only play my Strats since I can get far more out of them as far as sweet tones. I always keep a couple of picks around in case I get carried away and fingernails start flying off like pop corn.
I use the Tele when I do a lot of double stops and twin pulls because they stay in tune a bit better. When you do pulls on a Strat with a vibrato bridge the other strings detune slightly, where as on my fixed bridge Tele the rest of the strings remain at pitch.
To me the biggest decision is what tone wood is best to my ears or the style I am playing. Alder has a nice sound with a bit more soft midrange harmonics, but Swamp Ash has a nice bright sound with a bit less mid harmonics. I can hear stuff on an Alder guitar that I can't on a Swamp Ash guitar. But I get the sounds I like best with Swamp Ash.

I never tried a cube. But I did have a small solid state Fender that sounded monstrous, but I ended up selling it since I use mostly amplifiers that I have designed around the sound I prefer. I would like to have the Fender back since it was so great sounding right on the edge of breaking up..
Slacker G
Regular

Postby kiwiblues » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:38 am

I'e got the Street Cube. It's the microcube with a separate mic input, volume reverb etc. Perfect for busking.
kiwiblues
Regular

Next

Return to Guitar