thumb picks

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

thumb picks

Postby keithj » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:40 am

Ive tryed every pick I can find and the winner is ...............the thunmb pick made gulptid music........very comfortable........doesnt move on the thumb.......perfect..........but it does require some play in time too get the tone right all and all a great thumb pick......................................keith
keithj
Regular

Re: thumb picks

Postby Old Stella » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:50 am

After many years of plastic thumbpicks (which are fine) I got a Dunlop metal thumbpick. For my picking style and attack, it gave me the ability to use my thumb at different angles because its tip allows it. The tip is short, which drew my fingers in too, and really cleaned up my sound. I can hit the bass strings really hard and they're clean, .........what I used to think was a fretting-out noise was actually the plastic slapping around. You can tell I'm a hard hitter...but the metal thumbpick works great for quieter stuff too. I don't know why but there's no metal on metal sound. For me, much better all the way around than plastic.
Old Stella
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:57 am

Right now my favorite finger picks are Guptill's Pro-Piks Fast Picks Sharpies for "Spanish" and "Reso Piks" for "Hawaiian." They have the tips angled in opposite directions. A leftie would buy the Reso Piks for Spanish picking and Fast Picks for Hawaiian style. With both I've got the metal thumbpicks, and they work perfectly fine.
ricochet
Regular

Postby deltablues57 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:02 am

I play really hard. The metal thumbpicks loosen up real fast. I like the plastic either National or dunlop. What you need to do is dip them in boiling water for a few seconds. The plastic gets soft and you can shape it perfectly to your thumb . When it cools it will retain the shape of your thumb. You can angle the pick slightly different angles till you find the right angle. PERFECT FIT.
deltablues57
Regular

Postby keithj » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:39 am

deltablues57
I will have to agree the Dunlop white pick is a nice unit and I like it alot .....but the nationals wear very quickly so Istoped useing them......the gulptid Metal/plastic is my choice for a thumb pick with the Dunlops and the goldengates a very close second.....
keithj
Regular

Postby kiwiblues » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:27 pm

Never worn a single millimeter off a thumb pick. Mine are still pristine.
Grown a lot of good thumbnails though!
Picks... I hate em.
If you can't get the volume with your fingers...go electric! :lol: :roll:
keithj wrote:deltablues57
I will have to agree the Dunlop white pick is a nice unit and I like it alot .....but the nationals wear very quickly so Istoped useing them......the gulptid Metal/plastic is my choice for a thumb pick with the Dunlops and the goldengates a very close second.....
kiwiblues
Regular

Postby keithj » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:36 am

kiwiblues wrote:Never worn a single millimeter off a thumb pick. Mine are still pristine.
Grown a lot of good thumbnails though!
Picks... I hate em.
If you can't get the volume with your fingers...go electric! :lol: :roll:
keithj wrote:deltablues57

Thumb picks allow to hold my hand at a relaxed angle witch helps me with my muting and since my fingers are now at a better angle (for me ) i can get better control volume and tone from my natural nail/flesh picking style.......As far as going electric .....well then it owuldnt be ACOUSTIC BLUES silly :wink:
keithj
Regular

Postby Lo-Fi » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:17 pm

I have a couple of old National metal thumb and fingrpicks I found socked away in an old guitar case I picked up at a flea market years ago.

The only pick I ever use though is one that I will sometimes put on my index finger backwards. No kidding - try it.
Last edited by Lo-Fi on Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lo-Fi
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:18 am

You will get a noticeably different, much brighter, twangier attack with picks than you can playing with bare fingertips (meat.) If you use nails, it'll sound pretty much like picks, but you've got all the issues involved with growing and maintaining nails including other things in life that are awkward with long nails. I much prefer the sound of resos played with picks, as they amplify and emit the higher harmonics that picks produce in the strings and the broad, soft fleshy surface of a finger simply can't. Some people prefer the mellower sound you get with those harmonics eliminated. The additional harmonics fool your ears into hearing it sound louder, but you can get just as much energy in the fundamental and lower harmonics with bare fingers as with picks.
ricochet
Regular

Postby Lo-Fi » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:42 am

I guess I am lucky cuz my nails seem to be strong as heck but I gotta admit those on my right hand don't look so good after a spending a few hours working in the veggie garden and I will need to spend some time with soap and a brush.

Part of the reason I do not use thumb picks is I play so flippin' hard that when I did try them out they tended to twist around or fly off. Maybe I should have taped them down or something. But I also I play off the side of my thumb alot and somewhere along the way got in the habit of sometimes squeezing my thumb and index finger together and use them like a flatpick for single string runs.
Lo-Fi
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:28 am

It works. Perfectly valid way of doing it. Different strokes for different folks.
ricochet
Regular

Postby kiwiblues » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:16 am

Yes, for years I have strummed with the backs of my finger nails, never used flat picks.
Can't do that with fingerpicks, they catch and fly off.
Never seen Clapton with finger picks and he's one of my heroes so I've given up on them too!
I think you've got to have better coordination than I've got to use them.
Lo-Fi wrote:I guess I am lucky cuz my nails seem to be strong as heck but I gotta admit those on my right hand don't look so good after a spending a few hours working in the veggie garden and I will need to spend some time with soap and a brush.

Part of the reason I do not use thumb picks is I play so flippin' hard that when I did try them out they tended to twist around or fly off. Maybe I should have taped them down or something. But I also I play off the side of my thumb alot and somewhere along the way got in the habit of sometimes squeezing my thumb and index finger together and use them like a flatpick for single string runs.
kiwiblues
Regular

Postby ricbleu » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:02 pm

Yeah, I'm with the meat/nail brigade. I tried filing plastic thumbpicks down until they barely projected from the flesh of my thumb. It gave me a greater sense of where the end of the thumpick was. But it never felt right for me. Like others above, I also use thumbnail and index nail pinched together as a flatpick - really great for getting under the string and creating fret slap. And I always feel the thumbpick loosening up on the "backhand". But the clincher is that the less equipment I have to rely on to play, the better. There is, as Rico says, the loss of twang with pure flesh but I've got my RH nails so that 95% of the time it's nail on string - it comes down to a practising thing to keep your wrist at the correct angle for optimum results. I ripped the nail on my second finger back to the quick when I was working on the Weissy, and my playing went ping, ping, thunk, ping for about two weeks. Oh the hardships of life. :D
ricbleu
Regular

Postby birddog » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:38 pm

Lo-Fi wrote:I guess I am lucky cuz my nails seem to be strong as heck but I gotta admit those on my right hand don't look so good after a spending a few hours working in the veggie garden and I will need to spend some time with soap and a brush.

Lo-Fi, Do you have a nice built up callous on your thumb? The kind that grabs a string when you want to do a nice string snap?
Been trying like heck to delelop one of those and I just can't.

I can use a thumb pick (Only a Pro-Pik with the white nylon) when I need the extra bass but I feel a loss of sensitivity as the angle of the hand is to close to the strings.
birddog
Regular

Postby tinsmith » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:43 am

Tommy Emmanuel uses them & I believe he plays notes faster the Clapton.
Single notes, to clarify, not entire piles of riffs.
tinsmith
Regular

Next

Return to Guitar