Inviting Guests to Sit In

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

Inviting Guests to Sit In

Postby jbone1 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:48 pm

we do this when we play out, and have even extended an open invite to a couple of particular people to just show up if they have the inclination. it's somewhat about enriching the show and somewhat about maybe learning a new twist on an old song, but also about goodwill. i can't count the times i've been invited, or had an open invite, to sit in on someone's gig.

tonight we're playing a new to us place, and it's been ages since we did 3 or 4 hours. with that in mind i invited a couple of guitarists to sit in, and one is a definite. the other may swing by late. this is in part because my wife's stamina is somewhat in question. i know she can do it but i'm not sure she know that. but also every time she's on stage with someone else, and the guitars interact, she learns something. since she's actively pursued this for only 4 years, and we're both not that far from retirement age, any little help i can give is a step in the right direction. hence inviting guest guitarists. we had also hoped to snag a piano player but he's got a gig with his regular band tonight so not this time.
i also have no problem having another harp guy around and will gladly step aside for a song or 2, or do a dual harp thing, or just sing and let a harp guy take that spot for a while.

to me it's about the community of musicians we find ourselves in, and how much they all support each other.
jbone1
Regular

Re: Inviting Guests to Sit In

Postby jeffl » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:54 pm

That kinda stuff can be just plain alotta fun,too. I've lived & played music in this area for about 35 years and I get asked up to play harp with guys I've crossed paths with for years. If the players are veterans it normally goes great and it turns out to be a blast. When it first started happening years ago I felt like I didn't want to horn in on their gig, but after a while I realized they were askin' me 'cuz they wanted to play with me and have some fun. It's a good way to get to know musicians that you might have an opportunity to put a band together with later on.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Inviting Guests to Sit In

Postby stewie » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:30 pm

In the acoustic trio I'm in we invite people to jam quite a bit. We play a farmer's market every Sunday and have extended an open invitation to a number of people to drop by anytime and join in - some actually do show up! Sometimes, for example if we're specifically asked to play 3 or 4 songs for a particular event, we prefer to play ourselves since that's how we know the songs, but it's a more casual atmosphere then we welcome it. Like you said, it's about meeting new musicians and supporting each other.
stewie
Regular

Return to About Gigs