If you could only have one Resonator...

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

If you could only have one Resonator...

Postby birddog » Sat May 22, 2010 11:42 am

Started thinking last nite about selling some stuff and my first thought was, about if you could only have one resonator guitar for bottleneck.
Kinda if you were stuck on a desert island type thing.
Wonder what everyones choices would be, not brand names but style, Style O, Duolian, Tricone, single, spider ?
Steel, Brass or Wood ?
And of course why and what you prefer the sound for ?

Anyone

Wally
Last edited by birddog on Sun May 23, 2010 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
birddog
Regular

Re: If you coulde only have one Resonator...

Postby Old Stella » Sat May 22, 2010 12:11 pm

I AM stuck on an island. The island of poverty. I have one steel duolian. Because it has volume, instant response, feels good with or without picks and even strummed with a flatpick. I like the sound of brass but I think my steely is the best for different techniques / methods.........whatever you call it.

Yup, I would give them all up for one steel duolian.

[img]mb2%20(Medium).jpg[/img]
Attachments
mb2 (Medium).jpg
Old Stella
Regular

Postby Neal » Sat May 22, 2010 12:40 pm

If it had a case and some care kit to go along with it, a wood body National 12 string. If no case, a metal body, for practicality's sake. I read on MM's board where someone thought the National 12 string was just a novelty and useless for playing blues or bottleneck long-term. Opinions, well..... I don't need to finish that sentence. Tri-cone preferred, but single cone just as welcome.
Neal
Regular

Postby gaucho » Sat May 22, 2010 3:18 pm

I have a spider, a single cone and a tricone. I'd take my steel bodied tricone for a desert island stint!
gaucho
Regular

Postby neangler » Sat May 22, 2010 4:12 pm

I'd stowaway with a Nat tri-cone, all the way. Wish I was on a deserted island with mine right now.

Hey, Neal said where he read that some duffer thinks a Nat 12 string is a novelty not worthy of serious blues slide playing. I have an Estralita Deluxe 12 string, and it's killer. I tune it G and D, and it's fine.

It is a tad difficult to learn to get a really clean sound, however. The tops of the four larger courses of strings are not flat (level) across, so here can be a tendency to get a slight buzz from the smaller (narrower) strings. However, when you get the hang of playing the instrument, and you're playing single strings, you simply angle the slide ever so slightly to cleanly contact both strings simultaneously. With time this becomes second nature and you don't even think about it.

If you play with a dirty sound (Johnny Winter comes to mind), you won't care, but if you're a devotee of Brozman—who is Mr. Clean—then you'd work on this technique.
neangler
Regular

Postby bottleneckjohn » Sat May 22, 2010 8:13 pm

If I have to choose just one, a tricone for sure!!
:mrgreen:
The best allround tone..
bottleneckjohn
Regular

Postby birddog » Sat May 22, 2010 9:19 pm

Great stuff you guys, keep it coming. The pictures are making my drool cup runneth over :blink:

Old Stella, you ndon't find the Duolian to sound somewhat banjoey when fingerpicked?

Wally
birddog
Regular

Postby Old Stella » Sat May 22, 2010 9:44 pm

no, my single cone doesn't sound banjo-y at all. I think that's the brass body sound. My steel geetar sounds like a geetar. Plus I have loads of extra volume and whine when I want it. I was surprised a few years ago when I got it that it DIDN'T sound banjo-y, not having played slide ever on a metal guitar. I used to have an old National spider, black body with flowers on it and I kinda expected that sound. But the biscuit is right NOW, like an old tube amp.

I grind about 1/8" off the end of my fingerpicks and use a metal thumbpick to purposely bring me 'closer' to the strings and add meat to the sound. I've got about 20 slides and don't like 19 of them - so maybe I, or I guess, "intentionally" searched for and fattened the sound.

Your question is interesting.
Not even a Martin could lure me away from my biscuit. It just throws tone and volume at me like no other guitar and makes me wanna play, and more often than not, does the playing FOR me.
Old Stella
Regular

Postby ricbleu » Sat May 22, 2010 10:26 pm

I love this kind of thread. I don't play bottleneck myself but have a couple of lappys now but they don't count in this thread. And remember, guys, you've got to justify your choice - gives us more info on what appeals to you in the sound of whatever you decide on. Btw, did you notice how, by an amazing freak of nature, the desert island has a guitar shop for strings and for hanging out and a cafe/bar for meeting with the buddies and jamming? :D
ricbleu
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Sat May 22, 2010 10:31 pm

I got by with "just" the National Delphi for years -I figure that either it, or my El Trovador, would be a great "only guitar".
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby The Breeze » Sat May 22, 2010 11:18 pm

Well... If it is electric then it has to be my 62 re-issue strat, but I would keep my Jasmine acoustic over it. Then for open tunings the Made in China Dodro Hounddog is great in open D for country blues slide, but I have to keep going back to the Duo 'cause it has that roots blues vibe that just don't come anywhere else.

I don't tend to keep guitars I don't play.

Hey, man isn't meant to stick to one guitar alone.

Keep 'em all, send the wife to a desert island...
The Breeze
Regular

Postby Freeman » Sun May 23, 2010 12:52 am

Why would anyone want to limit themself to just one?

Freeman
Regular

Postby tinsmith » Sun May 23, 2010 1:51 am

I like that puppy in front Freeman
tinsmith
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sun May 23, 2010 1:52 am

I'm glad I don't have to just have one.
ricochet
Regular

Postby Django1 » Sun May 23, 2010 4:27 am

Holy Jesophats!!!!
I can feel my paranoia "kickin in" now I am worried bout the effect of the dreadful sea air
corroding my duolian, Ricbleu gave a slight relief by opening up a guitar string shop
could I please please have a store selling metal corrosion preventitive[ I will never get to sleep tonight]
Cheers jim.[ Darkly Muttering]
Django1

Next

Return to Guitar