Amp Advice

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Amp Advice

Postby brandon_oh » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:01 pm

Hey all. Long time voyeur, first time poster.

I have a Fender Blues Junior NOS Tweed amp. Great little amp and I LOVE cranking it. Pretty good tone with no mods. It is a little weak when playing with a drummer and no PA. I have decided to get a new amp.

Now my setup is a Fender Strat with texas specials, ts808 handwired, ge-7 EQ, Fulltone OCD. I just want that slightly overdriven tone. Not too much but dirty enough....

I am on the fence with either a Fender Vintage Reissue '65 Twin Reverb or a Fender Vintage Reissue '65 Deluxe Reverb.

So I know they are very different amps. What I am wondering is since I am pushing the amps with an overdrive, will it matter much which I choose? I know the Twin is stupid loud and clean forever. The DRRI is 7 watts louder than my Bjr but costing me 1200 large! Since I already have a lower watt Amp, should I get the big dawg? I just dont want to sacrifice tone. Will the Twin be too clean? Will I be able to get some dirty tones out of it while in the garage or at the local pub? I know the DRRI can be driven to slight overdrive with no pedals without pissing off the sound man too much. Thus you can get it a bit dirtier and some nice tone with an OD pedal. The Twin however, will always require a pedal to break it up.

-Brandon
brandon_oh
Regular

Re: Amp Advice

Postby ricochet » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:59 pm

You've already summarized it quite well.

IMO you don't need a Twin unless you plan to play in huge auditoriums without a PA. That's a hefty chunk of gear to lug in and out of gigs.
ricochet
Regular

Postby brandon_oh » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:07 pm

Thanks for the reply. What do you think about the sonic differences between a single driver vs. duals? I have read that you get a fuller sound(more bass and deeper tone) out of a 2x12 Twin at gig volumes as opposed to the DRRI 1x12. I have not been able to try them as the local music shop employees get jumpy when you try and turn up the demo amps in the store.
brandon_oh
Regular

Postby NEONMOONY » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:16 pm

I am in a band and our former lead guitar player had a twin. He could get lotsa nice sounds out of it but he was always LOUD. Way loud. Our gigs were never big enough for him to really crank it. I don't have one but think the Deluxe Reverb would be a nice wattage amp.
NEONMOONY
Regular

Postby ricochet » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:01 am

Unless you're playing really big concert type places, not clubs, I really think the Twin is massive overkill. That's not to say I wouldn't happily take one home with me if I saw it on the curb...

And if I really had my druthers on the speakers, I'd like a 1x15. Not many choices there, but I've always liked the Peavey Delta Blues 1x15.
ricochet
Regular

Postby brandon_oh » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:13 pm

Thanks for the responses. I think I am going to go with the DRRI. If they both will yield similar results for me then the DRRI is probably more suitable due to volume. I am not a big hot plate fan. I really like to push the amps and get that sucker thumpin and moving air.

I do like the idea of the Peavey though. I may have to try one out.

-Brandon
brandon_oh
Regular

Postby rdeeno » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:52 am

If you really like the sound of the amp you have, you might try a better speaker first, like an EV. An higher effiiciant speaker will make it seem louder. I use to have a Super Champ with an EV and it got stupidly loud, but some don't like the sound of such speakers as sometimes they can be harsh sounding. If your amp has a speaker plug or aux out, go to your local music store and plug it into some closed back cabs too. In the end, for the sound you are looking for, a copy of a 59 Bassman is what you really need to try. 4 tens pump lots of air and they are really not that heavy.
rdeeno
Regular

Postby thunda1216 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:39 am

:twisted: Pignose G60Vr with an Eminence V12 speaker. 'Nuff sed

ty
thunda1216
Regular

Postby brandon_oh » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:06 pm

Hrmmm that gives me a few alternatives. I will have to head to the local guitar super store and see if I can try out the Bassman Reissue. At 40 watts it going to be loud enough to gig with. If I start down the 4x10 path then the 65 Super Reissue should not be off the table. I just think they may be just like the twin for me. I will never get them to natural OD. I will have clean headroom for my gig.

My real concern with the DRRI is I dont want to find myself hitting the wall with volume. Meaning I will lose cleans if I have to really crank it and that is not what I am shooting for. I want cleans but push to OD with a pedal. I suspect what it really boils down to volume regardless of amps. Tone is another topic. Will the Deluxe be loud enough at gigging volume while staying clean or on the edge of breakup or will I find myself driving the amp too much? Only one way to tell. Gotta get out and play them.

Thanks

Brandon
brandon_oh
Regular

Postby jaybee » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:53 am

I use a Dan Torres 18W and a Laney LC15R simultaneously, the Laney stays clean longer and has reverb, the DT starts to growl and bark pretty soon - stick a mic in front of them and let the PA worry about FOH volume, the amps are pointed at me, so I don't need the guitar in the monitor mix --> I'm hardly ever too loud and I don't break my back hauling heavy amps anymore 8)
jaybee
Regular

Postby Lo-Fi » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:52 pm

Just my two yen but one is a lower power amp with a tube rectifer the other more watts with a s/s rectifer. Unless you are playing awful big venues the Deluxe Reverb is the way to go. A tube rectifer is the best FX money can buy. Biggest drawback to both is that unlike the originals these reissues are put together with stacked printed circuit boards which means any mods or repairs can get real pricey. Then again, it is almost impossible to get a new amp with point to point wiring for under 2K these days.

I you are looking for a lower power amp, ya might check out a Peavey Classic 20 (they also make a 30 and a 50). Alot of amp for the bucks.
Lo-Fi
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:03 pm

The Peavey Classic 30 is very closely related to the previously mentioned Delta Blues. Check 'em out here:
http://www.peavey.com/products/classic/index.cfm
ricochet
Regular

Postby bottleneck » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:23 pm

it is pretty darned hard to beat a deluxe.like previously mentioned,it would take a huge club for it not to be loud enough.

here's a nice version of a deluxe: http://www.sligoamps.com/

your blues junior Y corded into a deluxe would be phenomenal .

www.myspace.com/shakeylyman
bottleneck
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:58 pm

The 2 amp idea is a good one, both because you can blend your sounds and you have redundancy if an amp goes down.
ricochet
Regular

Postby stratman_27 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:04 pm

What about a Super Reverb? Half the power of a Twin, double that of Deluxe and will break up on its own at non ear splitting volume. Still pretty loud though. If your heart is set on a Twin maybe you should find an older silverface with the push pull master volume. You can get them to break up at lower levels. One work of advice though, put it on wheels.
stratman_27
Regular

Next

Return to Guitar