Winter Projects…

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Winter Projects…

Postby Buffalo_Bill » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:25 pm

Sometimes bikers have winter projects going on in their garage, this year I'm working on some guitar projects.
I'm not a luthier, so don't get mad. These frets were stubborn, with a barb that extended the length of the fret, but they had deep string notches in them so they had to be replaced. The guitar is a Kent Lido, maybe from 1965. Mostly in good shape except the nut grooves were too deep and that led to string notches in the frets.
I have no idea how it will sound, except that it has 2 single coils with hefty magnets, and a mahogany body. It was built as a beginners copy of the Stratocaster. I'm intending to use it for slide. :wink:
Bill
Buffalo_Bill
Regular

Re: Winter Projects…

Postby Slacker G » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:47 pm

Hello fellow biker.

I was looking at your project and thinking, "What a great start for a fret less guitar." Just fill the slots in with with plastic wood so they show, sand lightly and start playing. If I were a slide player I suppose I would go that way since I often spend way more time an projects than they will ever be worth in the end. :mrgreen:
Slacker G
Regular

Postby Buffalo_Bill » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:48 am

Does anybody play a fretless guitar?
Buffalo_Bill
Regular

Postby Slacker G » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:06 am

Buffalo Bill,

They sure do. And the guitars are rather pricey at that. So why would that be who knows? .... go figure. More money for doing less. Must have been a union contract clause.

If you do a Google search for fretles guitar players they may show up. I heard about a couple of them by name while the Watering Hole was still a forum. Everyone seemed impressed, but who really knows why. Was it because they were actually good, or if the thought of the challenge impressed them. I am running at 44bps line modem. It barley keeps up with my one finger typing. So no YouTube for me. It would take half the day for me to load it. Anyway, they are out there in Cyberland. And on YouTube also.
Slacker G
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:11 am

What are you doing on 44 BPS? When I went online in 1987 I had a 1200/2400 BPS modem, and while there were still 300 BPS portals around, 1200 was the standard up into the early-mid '90s.
ricochet
Regular

Postby Buffalo_Bill » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:02 am

This sample I like, but I don't want a fretless guitar for myself. A fretless guitar would be too much for me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jjt_2fHN ... re=related
Great musician, but I don't think it sounds as nice as all the fretted guitars we love.
I have 2 fretless bass', an acoustic Michael Kelly Club Custom and an SX Jazz Bass. I defretted both myself and I love 'em, however I get a sore neck playin' a fretles bass because I have to keep my eyes on the fingerboard, with fretted I don't have to stare to know I have the right fingerpoint.
Bill
Buffalo_Bill
Regular

Postby Slacker G » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:39 am

OOPS :roll: I meant to type 44K bps, but I always forget that. I just figure peeps would know what I meant. I should have known better. I have been a tech all my life ... at least up to this point in time.

Being snowed in is a real bummer. 7' drifts all around here and more snow in the forecast the whole coming week. I have two Strats to do yet from my out of control browsing at Warmoth. Finished the necks already and painted them. Need to slot the nut. One body is painted and ready to go. The other was my favorite Strat and I started to wear through the finish at a couple of points so I took it down slightly and am going to put another coat on it. But I just don't want to get involved. Funny, after I jump in I always wonder why not sooner? But I am a master at procrastination. :?
Just like my music. I wrote over 30 songs the last year or so. I have only put about 1/3 of them on my DAW up to date. But at least I started posting a few.
Wow. After proof reading this and seeing how much I have to do I think I'd better sit back in my recliner and watch a movie. And think about the stuff I need to do during the commercial breaks. :blink:
Slacker G
Regular

Postby zhyla » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:15 am

Buffalo_Bill wrote:These frets were stubborn, with a barb that extended the length of the fret, but they had deep string notches in them so they had to be replaced.

From my limited experience working on Japanese guitars of that era I've found that they're a complete bitch to defret. I suspect they used some glue. Looks like you did pretty well. If you get some activator-free CA glue (stew-mac.com) and collect the sawdust from planing the fretboard you can do this:

1. Pack the sawdust into the divot you want to fill.
2. Pour in a little glue. Let dry enough to be solid. This is so the glue in the next step won't leak out everywhere.
3. Fill in with more glue. Let dry.
4. Sand once more.
5. You may need to re-cut the fret slot.

You won't be able to tell the difference for small spots. The main tell is that it will lack the grain, but for the little flecks that pop out around the frets it will look flawless.

Another tip, fill in around the inlays with the same glue if they've shrunk a little. Clean any loose glue in the crack before hand and sand afterwards. The inlays will look brand new. Yummy:

zhyla
Site Admin

Postby birddog » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:07 am

I'm in the process of building a Tele partscaster.
After completing the Bassman I figured I just needed a new axe to go with it. After looking and playing lots of Fenders and seeing what the dollar bought, just thought I could spec my own for the same or even less.
Figured I might as well rather than buy something and mod it out anyway.

Wally
birddog
Regular

Postby zhyla » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:18 am

birddog wrote:After looking and playing lots of Fenders and seeing what the dollar bought, just thought I could spec my own for the same or even less.

I did the same analysis and found quite the opposite to be true.
zhyla
Site Admin

Postby Buffalo_Bill » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:53 pm

zhyla wrote:
birddog wrote:After looking and playing lots of Fenders and seeing what the dollar bought, just thought I could spec my own for the same or even less.

I did the same analysis and found quite the opposite to be true.

If all the components are new, yes it gets pricey but how much can you salvage from old stock?
That's what will give it a unique look and sound! 8)
Bill
Buffalo_Bill
Regular

Postby NEONMOONY » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:55 pm

Hey Buffalo Bill, how hard did you get hit by the lake effect this weekend? I'm near Valparaiso and we just got dusted a couple inches.
Mike
NEONMOONY
Regular

Postby Buffalo_Bill » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:36 pm

Snow's not so deep yet, but it ain't stoppin' til late into the week! Have a look at our radar-49117. :roll:
Here's a cheap way to shield a guitar, double stick tape and aluminum foil, works just as well as copper. :wink:
Bill
Buffalo_Bill
Regular

Postby birddog » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:08 am

Nice idea with the shielding Bill.
Well as long as you don't need to solder any gound wires to it. I've been told you can get the copper from a Stained Glass window shop cheaper than some where like Stew Mac but I don't have one anywhere around.

Wally
birddog
Regular

Postby zhyla » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:03 am

Aluminum and copper are equally effective for shielding guitar cavities. Or rather, equally ineffective. There's not really any point in carefully shielding the few inches of wire inside the guitar when the thousands of feet of wire in the pickup itself picks up everything you're trying to shield against.
zhyla
Site Admin

Next

Return to Guitar