Resonator strings…

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Resonator strings…

Postby Buffalo_Bill » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:44 pm

Does anyone prefer bronze wound strings on their resonator? I'm brand new to resonators, I had medium bronze wound strings on mine for a week, then put some nickel wound resonator strings on. (Both string types were Martin).
I'm not sure the nickel wound sound better than bronze wound, maybe I like bronze better.
What's your opinion?
Buffalo_Bill
Regular

Re: Resonator strings…

Postby DeFord Harp Slider » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:06 pm

I have been told that it doesn't matter because the cone is what is making the sound..... I tried stainless steel, and bronze and like the bronze strings the best. They just sound better to me and seem to have more sustain.
DeFord Harp Slider
Regular

Postby bigdaddyguitar » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:20 am

I believe bronze is recommended .
bigdaddyguitar
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:58 am

Depends on who's doing the recommending. Both are good. It's a matter of personal taste.
ricochet
Regular

Postby bluesthang » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:37 pm

I agree that everything is about personal taste. It's what sounds best to YOUR ears and what feels better in YOUR hands..there are no rules.
I use the bronze strings myself most of the time. But when I do a show and need to use my lace pickup i have no choice but to use the nickel wound strings or else the pickup doesn't work with the bronze strings.
But the bronze strings do seem to have a richer sound to them...
Its all about what YOU like best as a sound.
bluesthang
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:59 pm

Some folks even prefer the bronze strings with a magnetic pickup. But for the wound strings, only the steel core wire will excite the coil, and those strings will give a relatively weaker signal than the plain steel ones. I'd go for the nickel. I rather like nickel (actually, nickel plated steel electric strings) on my resos, even without a pickup. They give the brightest tone to my ear, and they last a long time. (Pure nickel ones aren't so bright.) Brass strings, which most makers misleadingly call "bronze," sound great when they're fresh but quickly tarnish and sound dull. Phosphor bronze was considered a big advancement because they keep their fresh tone a lot longer than brass. But acoustic stringed instrument players were using nickel wound strings long before phosphor bronze came on the market.
ricochet
Regular

Postby bluesthang » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:01 pm

yup defenitly a matter of personal taste... I kinda like when my strings sound gets a little dulled out and loose a bit of their brightness
bluesthang
Regular

Postby bottleneckjohn » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:12 pm

For me the string gauge is much more important than the material..
I've tried but I can't feel enough difference between bronze and nickel to make a choice, LoL! :mrgreen:
bottleneckjohn
Regular

Postby stewie » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:50 pm

I always go with the regular 13-56 bronze strings. I tried nickel once but didn't like them, although that could be because I couldn't find the right gauge and had to try a lighter gauge then I wanted. In any case, they didn't stay on my guitar very long before I changed them.
stewie
Regular

Postby ricochet » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:27 am

I've got .012-.054s on my tricone now, and think they're just a little too light. 13s would probably be just fine. I think I've got another set of those .016-.056" Martin Resonator Guitar strings around here somewhere I'll probably put back on. They've done awfully well on it in the past.
ricochet
Regular

Postby neangler » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:43 pm

Do you think those .016-.056 strings are for a square neck, or also a round neck?

I have them on my Nat tricone and also a Regal, both round necks, but I'm beginning to wonder if they put too much stress on the necks. Nat recommends really light strings (I think almost unplayable for down-and-dirty slide), but I know Brozman and Catfish use the heavy strings on their baritones.

Pearse introduced round-neck reso strings at .013-.056.

Of course I tune down to D and G, so there's not a ton of stress, but I wonder sometimes.

Your thoughts?
neangler
Regular

Postby ricochet » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:59 pm

The Martin strings are made specifically for a squareneck in GBDGBD tuning. They work fine on a roundneck in DGDGBD or DADF#AD.
ricochet
Regular

Postby Bournio » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:20 pm

neangler wrote:Nat recommends really light strings (I think almost unplayable for down-and-dirty slide), but I know Brozman and Catfish use the heavy strings on their baritones.

I had a phase when i had a nickel 11thou as my highest string. I hammer the thing, and learnt not to get buzzes on a guitar with thin strings and low action, and to use the buzzes as a tonal tool!it's all just practice!
Bournio
Regular

Postby ricochet » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:11 pm

It's true. I've played slide on 9s on an electric. (Not lately.) You learn to stop the slide in proper contact with the string by "muscle memory" without using the string tension to catch it and keep it from hitting the fretboard. Good practice.
ricochet
Regular

Postby neangler » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:40 pm

Hummm....slide on really light strings.

Better pass that on to Catfish and Brozman. Maybe they can learn something.

Does anybody know what Dickie Betts used?
neangler
Regular

Next

Return to Guitar