Wire transducer and magnetic together?

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Wire transducer and magnetic together?

Postby Buffalo_Bill » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:27 pm

I see some of the new acoustic-electric resonators have both transducer and magnetic pickups combined, with a panning pot wired between them, so you can dial in just the combined sound you like. Fender has one of these as an example.
How would I wire my guitar this way? Does anybody have a wiring diagram illustrating how to do this?
Thanks! Bill
Buffalo_Bill
Regular

Re: Wire transducer and magnetic together?

Postby ricochet » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:37 pm

I haven't played one that came from the factory that way. The big problem with doing it yourself is that a piezo pickup and a magnetic one have vastly different impedances, so they don't blend in a straightforward way. The high impedance pickup puts out a very low current that bleeds off through the low impedance one, so you only hear the piezo when the fade pot's turned way over to it and the magnetic one's almost off. You might be able to play with audio or log tapers and come up with a reasonable compromise, but what my friend did with the Johnson I gave him (that got stolen last summer) was to wire two separate controls and outputs, and run them both into the mixer. That looked funny, but worked super well!
ricochet
Regular

Postby bek1 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:37 am

I have a JT-Res, which has a minibucker and a piezo, originally wired with volume-pan-tone. I took it to my tech because it sounded screechy and fed back badly on the piezo. I followed his advice and had him wire it up mini-volume/piezo-volume/tone. It's better, but the piezo still feeds back badly much of the time. I hear a Bartolini active unit will fit in and make a huge difference, but I haven't decided to drop the $90.
bek1
Regular

Postby DRU LORE » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:05 pm

What has worked for me on a steel bodied National Duolian, is the ( out of production, of course ) Barcus Berry Dobro pickup.

Since it is magnetic, it also reacts to the steel body shaking, ultimately giving a great " National" sound, but without the screechy hassles.

I learned about this pickup from two Great Players, who are unfortunately no longer with us, John Campbell and Chris Whitley.

What I like about this setup is that you can walk up to a Fender Super Reverb, and JUST PLUG IN . No Hassles, no soundman , no worries, mate !

For actual gigging use, it's a hard setup to beat.

Additionally, no holes are cut into the guitar, the pickup is thin and surface mounts.

For Recording, I use the pickup to a remote amp, and good microphones on the National.

Here is a link to a moody "When the Levee Breaks" on http://www.myspace.com/DruLore ( AUDIO ONLY ) It is one take, one of the strings was tuned down an octave for the Drum/ Drone effect. The file is to large to fit here, just click on "Levee " in the upper right corner of the page
DRU LORE
Regular

Postby Sollophonic » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:41 pm

My Brass bodied acoustic resonator has an Artec magnetic pickup fitted, in such a way that I can remove it without leaving any traces of it should I want to. Gives a lovely warm tone, through a valve amp. Dont really like the sound of piezos on reso cones, personally I much prefer the sound of a magnetic pickup

Mind you if I want more amped up volume I use this

Sollophonic
Regular

Postby DRU LORE » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:34 am

TOO COOL.

As Billy Gibbons said, " Any fool can modify a guitar, but it takes a real man to cut into vintage wood"

Where do I get a holesaw big enough for a telecaster ?

And how many people should hold the ladder so the Milwaukee doesn't take me with it ?

But seriously, it's nice to see professionally executed products like these. Lead by example.

Nice work.

DRU
DRU LORE
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:49 pm

I've been wanting to put a pickup on my reso for quite some time, but I don't want to put a hole in it. How did you mount that, Sollophonic? And how are Artecs products? I've been thinking about buying one of their parametric EQ pedals.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby slidnslim » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:03 am

[quote="DRU LORE"]What has worked for me on a steel bodied National Duolian, is the ( out of production, of course ) Barcus Berry Dobro pickup.

Since it is magnetic, it also reacts to the steel body shaking, ultimately giving a great " National" sound, but without the screechy hassles.

I learned about this pickup from two Great Players, who are unfortunately no longer with us, John Campbell and Chris Whitley.

What I like about this setup is that you can walk up to a Fender Super Reverb, and JUST PLUG IN . No Hassles, no soundman , no worries, mate !

For actual gigging use, it's a hard setup to beat.

I agree with DRU about the Barcus Berrys,got a few of them myself,
One thing though John himself said they sound better plugged
through a preamp,he used a eq pedal,and plugged into a bunch
of other stuff! way better sound than any piezo(in my opinion)

Kenny,

http://www.myspace.com/clarksdalemoan
slidnslim
Regular

Return to Guitar