Cheap Rogue Biscuit

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Cheap Rogue Biscuit

Postby ricochet » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:57 pm

I've been watching for a while on MF's "Stupid Deal of the Day" for a deal on a biscuit, after buying a Rogue Spider that way that I've been well satisfied with. Last night I happened across their brass body biscuit on the SDOTD at $230 instead of the usual $350 and pulled the trigger. Reviews indicate a mixed bag of folks who're well satisfied and some who had to fix up some problems, but I've done that before with my Johnson tricone. Ought to be interesting.
ricochet
Regular

Re: Cheap Rogue Biscuit

Postby bottleneckjohn » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:42 pm

Nice!
Post some pics when you get it!! :)
bottleneckjohn
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:56 pm

Congratulations! I almost pulled the trigger on an Epi spider bridge reso that's on Craigslist here, but I decided to save my pennies.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby tinsmith » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:35 am

I was eyein' that on MF myself.....let us how you twang out Rico..
tinsmith
Regular

Postby ricochet » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:02 pm

It has arrived. Mrs. R, who initially threw a hissy fit after I bought it and the lap steel that Bignick offered, now says they've got to be wrapped and put under the tree till Christmas. But when I went to bring the boxes in off the porch, I found that Musicians Friend had put the reso inside the Musicians Gear classical guitar case (which fits a reso perfectly, though they don't say anywhere on their site what case goes with them) and wrapped it up in the crappiest cardboard box I've seen in a while, stuck together on both sides with a single strip of flimsy packing tape along the 4 foot long central seam between the flaps. It was "padded" with two rolled up sheets of paper. I'd ordered 5 of the closeout Musicians Gear chromatic tuners that were going for $4.95, so I could stick tuners in various guitar cases and not be always having to hunt for the one I use. Those are nice looking little tuners, but are packed in crappy boxes that spontaneously disintegrated. When I picked up the box, the tape had split nearly halfway down the seam on one side. Lousiest packing I believe I've ever seen. Two of the tuners and one empty tuner box fell out right there, on my porch. In a Christmas miracle of sorts, all 5 tuners could be found, and 4 of the 5 sets of cheap Chinese "Heavy Duty" AAA batteries that were packed in the tuner boxes were there. One pair of batteries fell out somewhere between Missouri and Tennessee. The case and guitar are intact, and the guitar looks beautiful! It has a nice loud, long ringing resonance when I talk over it. I'll have to keep Mrs. R happy and wait till Christmas to fully unpack it and play it.
ricochet
Regular

Postby bobby81 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:47 am

ok you MUST have opened this by now rico - how's it playin? or are you waitin' on "little christmas?" or did your kid shortstop it?
bobby81
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:24 am

Mrs. R. decided I shouldn't open my new guitars (I also got a used custom lap steel from bignick) till the kids are gone, so they're still in a closet wrapped in Christmas paper. They're going back to New York this afternoon, so I suppose I'll dig them out tonight.
ricochet
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:30 pm

You know, she just might've thought he'd "shortstop it," go off playing by himself or with me, and pay less attention to her. Women have been known to think that way.

Alas, our time is limited! I'll get into it tonight, hopefully. We've been really preoccupied for the last week.
ricochet
Regular

Postby ricochet » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:45 am

OK, I got it out tonight, and I am thrilled! It's a beautiful instrument! Not perfect, but it's well done and everything's right that counts. Where they cut corners was on the polishing of the brass before plating. On the top you can see some buffing marks under the nickel. It's not as well polished as my Johnson. But you've got to be close and closely studying reflections to see that. The domed back of the body is mirrorlike and without blemish. The nut, fretboard and saddle are flat. It's sloped toward the treble side, so the treble strings are a bit lower than the bass strings, as they should be. I haven't put a ruler to it, but the string height looks and feels like what I have set on my Johnson Tricone, an excellent compromise for sliding and fretting up to the 7th fret or thereabouts. Easy to fret behind the slide up to 2 frets back, if desired. I haven't measured the strings, but they appear to be medium .013-.056" "bronze" (80/20 brass) strings, and they are in new condition with no tarnishing or rust. They were shipped wrapped in brown paper. The nut is white plastic, and binds a bit on the third string as they so often do. The saddle is ebony capped maple, well fitted. The cone is spun, obviously on an automatic machine that produced perfectly even spirals, rather widely spaced. The pressed in spirals don't have the peripheral cross-linking lines of the Amistar branded cones. Musicians Friend says the brass bodies are all European made, but they don't mention the "Continental" cone of the Johnsons, and this may well be a Chinese made cone. Automated spinning machines are used for a lot of metal fabrication nowadays. Inside, I can see "mushrooms" that look like the ones in my Johnson. What I can see through the F-holes looks neatly fitted and finished. The rosewood fretboard is smooth, and the small old-style frets are finished smoothly and most importantly, are all level. The fret ends are adequately smooth, better than those on my Johnson. (Those catch my fingers just a bit.) Tuners are no-name sealed ones, bright nickel finished, and tune up smoothly with no abnormal backlash.

I oiled up the fretboard and strings with olive oil before handling them. I've been doing this for many years, and last night I happened across a site on caring for brass castings that recommended this for preserving them. It greatly increases the useful life of guitar strings.

The real joy of this guitar is in the playing! I tuned it to Open D, got out my BigHeart Bronze Bomber slide and put on an extra heavy Golden Gate thumbpick and .025" Dunlop nickel silver fingerpicks and let her rip! Whoa! Serious volume, and an awesome "honk!" I'm going to have to quit talking about single cones having less sustain than tricones. This guitar sustains better than my tricone and at least as well as my spider, but the difference is that the instant loud twangy attack of the biscuit stands out above the sustained note. It has excellent bass output, much better than the tricone, with a strong clear singing tone with the slide on the first string up to the 12th fret. It'll take a little getting used to this being a 14-fret neck with a single dot at the 12th fret and double dots at the 15th, having the typical "X" pattern of five dots covering the fingerboard attachment screws at the 15th, 17th and 19th frets. It has fretboard side markers at the 5th, 7th, 9th and 12th frets. Man alive, this thing does put out the sound! You can't be shy and play this one. It also really amplifies finger and slide noises on the strings, and if you hit a wrong note it'll ring right out, too. But you can make yourself heard. It's a cannon! I'm going to have a lot of fun with it!
:mrgreen:

The Musicians Gear classical guitar case:

As the guitar came in the case. This thing is really shiny! These are flash photos, and the light reflected off somewhere else, making the guitar pics look dark.

This one's really hard to see, but is the arched back of the body.

Ready to play!

ricochet
Regular

Postby DaveG » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:35 am

ricochet wrote: It's not as well polished as my Johnson.

Yeah, but I'll bet you've been polishing your Johnson for a long time. :shock:

Looks great. Those Rogues can be hit or miss. Sounds like you got a good one.
Last edited by DaveG on Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaveG
Regular

Postby ricochet » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:50 pm

Every Johnson should be well polished. :mrgreen:

Yeah, I've read the reviews. I'm happy with this one!
ricochet
Regular

Postby TC6969 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:57 pm

I've been looking for a case to store mine in and I wondered how well the classical model would work.

Now I know! Thanks for posting!
TC6969
Regular

Postby ricochet » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:37 pm

That's something MF really should fix on their site. They don't tell you anywhere what case fits this thing. Guess they don't expect people to buy cases. The info wasn't readily available on anyone else's site that I could find, either, but I remembered reading somewhere years ago that classical cases fit resos. This one does, perfectly. It would accommodate a 12 fret just fine, of course. Leaves a little space above the upper bouts of a 14 fretter. The rest of it fits snugly enough that it won't slide around.
ricochet
Regular

Postby bigdaddyguitar » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:50 pm

Hey Rico , FYI , a standard 12 and 14 fret National will fit perfect in a standard size oo Martin case .
bigdaddyguitar
Regular

Postby ricochet » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:00 pm

Cool.
ricochet
Regular

Next

Return to Guitar